Subwoofer advice - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Points: 791, Level: 14 Points: 791, Level: 14 Points: 791, Level: 14
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Subwoofer advice

Ok so I recently decided to upgrade my sound system from the factory 6-disc to in dash dvd and subs. For my head unit I went with the new Pioneer AVH-P3200BT http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P3200BT, for my subs I went with the Kicker 08DS12L72 setup http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...08DS12L72.aspx which is 2 12" L7 Solo Barics in ported box, and for my amp I got a great deal on the Kenwood X1200M http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...lifiers/X1200M. Now I absolutely love the head unit, the amp seems to preform great but I'm not so sure about the Kickers. They seem kinda muddy sounding and not the clearest deepest bass. So I was wondering if anyone has put any of these subs in their Commander and how they liked/are liking them? Also, I was thinking about getting a JL Audio 12' W7 to replace these two Kickers and was wondering if anyone has any of these installed and how they like them and would one 12" W7 be enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

there may not be enough air inside the commander, try opening your back window and propping it open maybe an inch or so (sitting still not driving) and see if that cleans the sound up a bit. i had that problem in my old suburban.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Points: 2,813, Level: 32 Points: 2,813, Level: 32 Points: 2,813, Level: 32
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

I didnt put any subwoofers in my commander but did run dual 12" in my camaro, grand prix, and impala. With every system i attempted to run ported boxes to acheive more bass but as Doc in AZ stated you need alot of air to run a ported box or it struggles to move air at all. I eventually sealed every box i ever had to get a clean pounding bass. I have friends that have had good luck with ported boxes but they have all been single subwoofer setups.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc in AZ View Post
there may not be enough air inside the commander, try opening your back window and propping it open maybe an inch or so (sitting still not driving) and see if that cleans the sound up a bit. i had that problem in my old suburban.
I tried to open the back window today but it didnt seem to help it much. I was reading up on subwoofers today and read somewhere about if not enough air moves over the voice coil it will cause the bass notes to shorten? Needless to say I think I am going to go with the W7 sealed but still my question of is one enough remains? Anyone ever heard a W7 or have/had one that can relate?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

My 2003 Jeep Renegade had a factory sub mounted under the drivers seat. The sub had its own amp, and plugged into the radio where the speakers plugged in, and the speakers just plugged into its harness. It drew its power from the cigarette lighter. It sounded good, but wasn't about to break any windows! Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the newer RAQ radio? My Liberty had power seats just like my Commander, so I'd guess there might be room for it. I do not know if this is still available on the new Libertys's. It only worked with the front speakers, because if I put the fade to rear, no sound came from it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Hey JC. I have 2 12" Kicker CVX subs in my trunk. They are extremely loud but also sound kind of "muddy" when turned up. The problem, at least for me, was that the sub box was not chambered (no divider between two subs). My audio guy told me that this caused the two speakers to fight each other, so I need to replace the box and the speakers will be fine. He has one 12" Kicker CVX in the trunk of his Cherokee with a well-constructed box, and it sounded a whole lock cleaner than mine. Maybe its worth checking out on your setup.

2007 Jeep Commander 4x4 BLACK: 2" RC Lift, 17" Matte Black V-Tec Rims, 255/75/17 Tires, E&G Classics Grill, K&N CAI, Tinted Windows/Turn Signals/Taillights, 25000K HID Low Beams/Fog Lights, 12" Kicker CVX Subwoofers, AVS Vent Visors, MOPAR Roof Bars/Step Bars, LED Lighting, 13" Rubber Antenna, Rear Grab Handles, MOPAR Front Suspension Skid Plate, Chrome Fascia, Weathertech Floor Liners.

Future Mods: Black Out Grill, AVS Bugshield, New Kicker Speakers.

Wish List: Dual Super 44s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yioryosimo View Post
Hey JC. I have 2 12" Kicker CVX subs in my trunk. They are extremely loud but also sound kind of "muddy" when turned up. The problem, at least for me, was that the sub box was not chambered (no divider between two subs). My audio guy told me that this caused the two speakers to fight each other, so I need to replace the box and the speakers will be fine. He has one 12" Kicker CVX in the trunk of his Cherokee with a well-constructed box, and it sounded a whole lock cleaner than mine. Maybe its worth checking out on your setup.
You know I never thought of that. I would think since its a kicker made box that they would make it to work perfectly with the solo barics but I'll take a look at it later today and see if it's actually divided or not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

So it does have a divider between the two subs but the back is open because of the huge port coming out the side that runs the length of the box. I have found over the past few days though, that with my windows down it does seem to sound better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 207767
The W7 series will put out some serious bass as single sub setups also - I have seen one 10W7 literally outperform duel 15 setups. I would take one of the W7's back, then use that cash to have a sealed box made. I have seen several, but never in a ported box.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 57200
I am running 2 10" Kicker Solo barics with a 19 year old Cadence amp and a cheapo JVC head unit. These are in a 1977 IH Scout.

The first question I have is: Does the head unit have an adjustment for the cutout freq range for the subs? The cheapo JVC I have lets me set the cutout range at 60hz, 120hz, and I think 190hz. When I set it to 60 I was not that thrilled with the subs but at 120hz it seemed much better.

Next question: Where is the gain set on the amp? My audio guy recommended a tuning procedure for setting the gain. First determine what volume level you want to blast at. For me, the volume level on the JVC goes from 0-50. I blast at 32. Therefore, I set the volume level at 32 then adjust the gain until the bass is not "clipping" or muddy.

I am also using a self made sub box. The minimum cubic footage for the 10" Kickers was 0.8 cf for a sealed box. Since I am running 2 that would be 1.6 cf with a baffle between them. My box is actually a little larger than min spec. It is MDF with screws and glue with all connector cups caulked. I believe the ported box specs require more CF.

These kickers sound amazing. I have run some variation of this setup for 19 years. This is by far the biggest homerun for sound I have found with this setup. The wrong sized box or the wrong amount of air movement will make a good sub sound like crap.

Once I got everything tuned and working as it should be, I can not be happier with the kickers.

From reading up on your sub online, it seems the square subs sound much better in a sealed box. Also, the sine wave for a sub is 15 feet long. Meaning, it does not develop its full arc until it reaches 15' from the source. In a hatchback it is best to put the box against the middle or back seat and face the subs toward the gate or hatch. The wave will project from the sub, strike the gate/hatch, and reflect toward the front of a vehicle. Usually, this will be more than 15' and the wave has reached its full arc, giving the best sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in