Audio Help Please - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Audio Help Please

I installed a sub and amp on the factory 6-disc changer. I used an rca converter to provide signal to the amp via rca's, but my problem is this... I tapped into the left and right rear speakers for the signal. I raised the gain on the converter up from zero and the gain on the amp. The radio was set to 20. Amp was set to a low pass filter, NOT Full or HPF. It sounded good, except for when I turn the volume to 1-5, you hear very loud bass in the sub, basically nothing from the other speakers. The louder you turn the volume, the more you get from the other speakers, and relatively the same amount from the sub. Here's a twist though... When I connect an iPod, on some tracks you hear bass, on others, you get it from the factory speakers and little to none on the sub. Others sound fine. I would assume it is due to bad recordings. Maybe not? So my guestion is this... Do I have the gain on the converter set wrong? It's from scosche, is set to line out, and the four (+/-) wires for the rears are all that are connected. The Scosche converter is model: FAI3A, and the amp is a Jensen 2-channel bridgeable 300 watt amp. I know Jensen isn't the best and it's not a class-D for a sub, but it works. I had it lying around. Need any more info, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

An update for anyone who wants to know, or encounters the same problem... On the Commander with the Boston Acoustics sound system, it is possible to ad an amp and sub and not have the sub decibles stay at a constant volume even when the radio is turned down to one. When you use a signal converter to convert the signal to rca, you need to use the correct adapter. You can grab one from metraonline.com. The part number is chry-amp-01. The rear signals are a fixed signal output, so when you use a normal signal converter, you can turn the gain on the converter up, but the sub will stay at that level at all volume positions on the radio (my problem). With the chry-amp-01, it connects to the radio harness, the connector on the radio, and a third adapter which you plug in the rca's. The third adapter converts that signal from fixed to variable, which when you adjust the gain to match your radio EQ and on the amp gain, the decibles of the sub will go up and down with the volume of the radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in