Hello fellow audio people. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,039, Level: 40 Points: 4,039, Level: 40 Points: 4,039, Level: 40
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hello fellow audio people.

Just wanted to start my first post I will probably be updating this original post as the project starts and my new Commander becomes my new sound quality competiton vehicle.

Ill start with intruducing myself. My name is Jeff K. I live in southern FL and have been competing with IASCA (International Auto Sound Competition Assosiation) and MECA (Mobile Electronics Competition Assosiation) for about 4 years. My competition car used to be a 2002 Mazda Protege5, this car was also my daily driver and racked up 140k miles on it this month. The car was so custom I was scared to drive it daily and made me nervouse sitting in the parking lot at work. Long story short, gutted the audio system and sold the Protege and bought the Commander. I will be putting my competition system in the commander and competing in a street class again. (moving down from pro-custom)

So far I have got some good information from this forum and as this project gets rolling I hope to be able to give some helpfull information that I learn on the way.

And for those who think that I am going to destroy a brand new Commander with some god awful stereo. There will be no destroying of the Commander. I like this truck too much.

I will start to post Pictures as soon as we begin cableing and building for the stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Re: Hello fellow audio people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
Just wanted to start my first post I will probably be updating this original post as the project starts and my new Commander becomes my new sound quality competiton vehicle.

Ill start with intruducing myself. My name is Jeff K. I live in southern FL and have been competing with IASCA (International Auto Sound Competition Assosiation) and MECA (Mobile Electronics Competition Assosiation) for about 4 years. My competition car used to be a 2002 Mazda Protege5, this car was also my daily driver and racked up 140k miles on it this month. The car was so custom I was scared to drive it daily and made me nervouse sitting in the parking lot at work. Long story short, gutted the audio system and sold the Protege and bought the Commander. I will be putting my competition system in the commander and competing in a street class again. (moving down from pro-custom)

So far I have got some good information from this forum and as this project gets rolling I hope to be able to give some helpfull information that I learn on the way.

And for those who think that I am going to destroy a brand new Commander with some god awful stereo. There will be no destroying of the Commander. I like this truck too much.

I will start to post Pictures as soon as we begin cableing and building for the stereo.
Hey Meatball, Welcome.
It's nice to see people using their Commanders in all different ways. I never was into stereo systems and all that. My Boston Acustic sounds better than any other vehicle I've ever had, and more and more I'm in this forum, I'm leaning on doing something to mine soon now. Not no drastic change, but, who knows? Keep us posted on your progress.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Well The install is reaching the finishing point after a long build and plenty of large hurdles to make the install fit what i wanted.

Three subwoofer enclosures and about 5 ampracks later I decided on a design and finished it.

The stock stereo was replaced with an Alpine IVA-D310, Alpine RUX-H701 digital EQ/Crossover/Time Alignment processor and the controll was mounted in the dash also. I also included Alpines new Bluetooth interface for BT streaming and hands free calling. An alpine Blackbird will be added later for navigation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA040137-3.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	302   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA040136-3.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	303   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9280093-3.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	304  

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Here is the enclosure and amprack. The enclosure is covered with a melamine laminate and the amp rack in tuxedo black suede.

All speakers are Morel USA/ Renasaince Audio, All amps are the Arc Audio SE series. Cableing provided by IXOS of UK.

So far it sounds great, many hours of tuning left. But its coming around nicely.

Any comments would be appreciated...things that i missed or that don't look good let me know. Ive been staring at it so long ive got starts in my eyes just happy that its done!

Compliments welcome too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished-3.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	305   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA040135-3.JPG
Views:	185
ID:	306  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Points: 1,183, Level: 18 Points: 1,183, Level: 18 Points: 1,183, Level: 18
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

Meatball,

Stereo looks good! Bet it sounds great. I was curious how difficult it was to get into the dashboard. Did you have to remove the entire dash for that or did you just cut into it. I have been wanting to tackle a custom project of my own but don't want to tear the beautiful dash up. Just curious on how you would rate it against other vehicles you have worked on. Are the dashboard hex bolts the key to holding it all together?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Points: 2,204, Level: 28 Points: 2,204, Level: 28 Points: 2,204, Level: 28
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

The bolts are the key, they come out and the whole front piece of the dash comes off making it easy to work with.

Meatball, looks like a killer setup! MORE PICTURES Please!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Points: 2,039, Level: 27 Points: 2,039, Level: 27 Points: 2,039, Level: 27
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Thanks MeatBall for sharing the pics gr8 to see what you are doing I am doing the same kind of thing will have the pics on this forum soon
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

The dash comes off prety easy as Redhouse said. Just be carful of the clip under the stock radio. Pull gently but firmly and it will come right out. I had pretty much everything out of the truck at one time excpet the seats. The center consol also is an easy remove too. If you are asking about the din size controller, that pocket allmost is din size to begin with and required minimal trimming to fit a din radio in.

I went with a dome midrange in the dash, they usually don't have my fav sound but in the dash the work great cause they are omnidirectional. I had to bring these up to the factory location from the bottom, that was not fun. It pretty much included a complete deconstruction of the dash.

If anyone is looking at puting tweeter in the a-pillars this was also not fun, definatly the least amout of room ive ever seen behind an a-pillar. Im using a "micro" tweeter that only plays down to 4khz as apposed to most tweeter going down to 1.5khz. I still had to remove about 1/4" of metal with a small grinder. Makeing sure to stay clear from ALL airbag areas.

I added 2 photos with this post showing the midrange placement and the small amout of metal removed from a-pillar area.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask...like i said, ive had about a whole commander interior apart!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9270085-3.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	307   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9280091-4.JPG
Views:	148
ID:	308  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments also!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Points: 1,198, Level: 18 Points: 1,198, Level: 18 Points: 1,198, Level: 18
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
Well The install is reaching the finishing point after a long build and plenty of large hurdles to make the install fit what i wanted.

Three subwoofer enclosures and about 5 ampracks later I decided on a design and finished it.

The stock stereo was replaced with an Alpine IVA-D310, Alpine RUX-H701 digital EQ/Crossover/Time Alignment processor and the controll was mounted in the dash also. I also included Alpines new Bluetooth interface for BT streaming and hands free calling. An alpine Blackbird will be added later for navigation.
picture 1. post 3

is that a head unit if not them what is it and
why mount it there? seems a bit strange to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in