Problem reprogramming FOBIK key for jeep commander 2009 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Problem reprogramming FOBIK key for jeep commander 2009

HELLO ALL:
had a problem with my JEEP COMMANDER XK 3.0 from 2009. my ECM burns out , it's an EDC16 BOSCH. i have replaced it with new one and i adapted it with STARSCAN (transferred PIN and VIN ok!!). but i was suprised that the two fobik keys were not recognized after programming the new ECM. i have tried to reprogram the two key using STARSCAN but a message told me that the keys are not working or programmed to another car. so the car is the same and same pin code and VIN.
and when i access to SKIM i have 0 key programmed.

can you please help me to find a solution and an explanation to this problem. because i know that kay from same car can be reprogrammed to this car.

have i to get new virgin keys?

thanks to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

It is my understanding that once programmed, there is no re program capability.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your answer , but reprogram capability is also impossible if the car is the same with same VIN and PIN?? the only thing that i have done is reprogramming new ECM bt transferring VIN and PIN and all the process correctly done. but why all the keys were deleted from SKIM?

thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I don't know the answer you need, BUT;

I've seen some things about the PCM's (a.k.a. ECM) and how they are designed to work with the security system, i.e. replacing a PCM requires the programing and reseting the security system to get the vehicle to be able to start.

It sounds like to me, the SKIM has to be reset or some value entered into it to accept and talk with the new PCM, to start the vehicle.

Your FOBIKs are programmed to your vehicle, yes they can NOT be reprogrammed again, but hopefully they should still work, there is something your missing with the PCM and SKIM speaking to each other. If NOT, you may have to get new FOBIK Keys, if you didn't know, you can get them off ebay for $25-$50, don't pay a dealer $300 for a fobik.

Have you tried another dealer? There are more than a few dealerships that have to be told how to solve a problem by the customer that actually gets off his A$$ and looks up how to solve the problem, which the dealerhsip won't do.

This may be the answer to my question; What do you do if you loose all 8 FOBIK keys, that is the max capacity that can be programmed for your vehicle?

Unless you did something wrong, it may be that replacing the PCM requires reseting the SKIM and WIN and that results in having to get all new FOBIK keys.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

hello all:

i just want to tell that nothibg can be wrong because STARSCAN use a wizard for programming new PCM in car. just it ask for a valid pin code and a vin and after that there is a message that tell if the process succeed or fail. in my case i have got a successful message. but after that i noticed that all the FOBIK's that are programmed to the car (2 keys) are erased. so when i tryed to reprogram them the process failed and a message told me that the FOBIK is invalid or programmed to another car. but the keys are for the same car with same PIN and VIN.

the only explanation that i found is that after programming new PCM, the data has been changed in SKIM.

please help me
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

So you own your own StarScan Tool?

Its sounds like you need the advice of someone that is an expert in the StarScan tool and likely your the only one on this forum that owns a StarScan Tool, so you're NOT likely to find it.

http://www.allpar.com/

Has a bunch of Forums for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles, there are several experienced Chrysler techs that know about the StarScan tools that often post there, might be your best bet, go there and post your problem.

Is it possible it doesn't have all the updates for the tool, and thus it did something it shouldn't have for a later model vehicle than the update?

BTW, what year vehicle did you do this procedure on, and what was the latest updates to your StarScan?

When I got new FOBIK keys programmed to my vehicle, the dealer told me I had to bring all the keys (programmed and unprogrammed) with me to program the new keys. I have a 2010. I got the impression that they do something to the effect of reseting the WIN or SKIM to eliminate lost keys, re-enter existing keys and enter new keys. BUT, I'm only guessing.

BTW, how did you come by a StarScan tool, did you pay the thousands of dollar for one? OR did you luck into some deal, I'd love to get one myself, but could never afford the price.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

thanks for aswering, i will post my problem in the forum you send me.

the starscan i ve got is deal between me and a friend. he got it from ebay for 2000$ and it has my jeep commander 2009 XK 3.0 in the soft.

will use it for chrysler cars in my workshop
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaflex View Post
...and it has my jeep commander 2009 XK 3.0 in the soft...
What's the "3.0" stand for?? Hopefully NOT the motor, because NO Commanders came with a 3.0L motor, lots came with the 3.7L motor.

Hopefully its something simple your missing, like a different procedure needed to reset the SKIM/WIN and/or reprogram the FOBIK keys, its somewhere else in the menu than you're thinking you'd find it.

$2000 is a great deal, but too expensive for me as a shade tree mechanic. If you read my other posts, these tools are my Pet Peeve, there is no reason why I, as shade tree mechanic, or you, as an independent shop owner, can NOT hook up a laptop using a cable and software package that costs $100-$200, and be able to do everything the Dealer Tools can do.

The manufacturers are using their advantage as the designer to keep the electronic protocols and information secret, to gain a competitive advantage for their dealerships and force consumers into the dealerships to be overcharge for simple procedures.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
What's the "3.0" stand for?? Hopefully NOT the motor, because NO Commanders came with a 3.0L motor, lots came with the 3.7L motor.

Hopefully its something simple your missing, like a different procedure needed to reset the SKIM/WIN and/or reprogram the FOBIK keys, its somewhere else in the menu than you're thinking you'd find it.

$2000 is a great deal, but too expensive for me as a shade tree mechanic. If you read my other posts, these tools are my Pet Peeve, there is no reason why I, as shade tree mechanic, or you, as an independent shop owner, can NOT hook up a laptop using a cable and software package that costs $100-$200, and be able to do everything the Dealer Tools can do.

The manufacturers are using their advantage as the designer to keep the electronic protocols and information secret, to gain a competitive advantage for their dealerships and force consumers into the dealerships to be overcharge for simple procedures.

Mongo,

He has a XH with a CRD 3.0 diesel (Mercedes)....the XH's had this as a available option.

Rob

|
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
He has a XH with a CRD 3.0 diesel (Mercedes)....the XH's had this as a available option.
Thanks,

Is the XH the export model? That would explain a lot, including the disjointed english in the posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in