Factory speaker sizes - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Factory speaker sizes

I just bought a 2010 Commander, and need to upgrade the speakers fast. Does anyone know the actual sizes of the factory speakers in the dash, and front and rear doors? Also how hard is it to pull off the door panels to get to the door speakers? And how does one get to the dash speakers? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Do you have a BA system? BA amp is a 6 channel. Front doors: base only, Dash: mids, highs, Rear Doors: Full Range.
Dash: 3.5" - the grill pops off straight up. I replaced mine with Infinity 2 way, 2 ohm
Front Door: 6x9 - I replaced mine with Kicker 1 way, 2 ohm. On the door panels, there are 3 screws - one up by the mirror, one behind the door pull, one behind a little door in the middle of the door handle. The rest is held on by those funky plastic clips. Plan on breaking some of them.
Rear Door: 6.5" - I repaced mine with Infinity 2 way, 2 ohm. The rear door panels have 2 screws: 1 behind the door pull, and one in the door handle, just like the front doors.
I originally replaced all of my speakers with the Kicker upgrade. Within a couple of months, I blew the ones in the rear doors. Kicker would not acknowledge my emails, so I bought the Infinity's, and replaced the Kicker dash speakers with Infinity's also because they produce crisper highs. Since the factory BA speakers are 2 ohm, I stayed with replacement 2 ohm speakers, so as not to lose any power from the BA amp.

Last edited by dhh3; 12-17-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

Thx, for the info. I do not have the BA system. thus the need for some new speakers.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

prolly wanna look into getting a new amp as well. Most aftermarkets will be 4 ohm and your amp in the factory radio is only about 10 watts - maybe 12. Hell go for the gusto and grap a new head unit as well! One things with mine (I had the stock system non BA) is that the wiring colors were not consistent. I got my stuff from Crutchfield and they helped me identify + and -. I originally had a few speakers wired out of phase.....

07 Jeep Commander 4.7L FFV 4X4, 4" Superlift, BFG 285/70/17 KM2's, 4xGuard Front / Belly / Side /Diff Guards, CAI / Catback, Jet Stage 1 Chip

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 1 Supercharged, Staggared Wheels, Koni/Dinan Suspension, Stebro Exhaust
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
Do you have a BA system? BA amp is a 6 channel. Front doors: base only, Dash: mids, highs, Rear Doors: Full Range.
Dash: 3.5" - the grill pops off straight up. I replaced mine with Infinity 2 way, 2 ohm
Front Door: 6x9 - I replaced mine with Kicker 1 way, 2 ohm. On the door panels, there are 3 screws - one up by the mirror, one behind the door pull, one behind a little door in the middle of the door handle. The rest is held on by those funky plastic clips. Plan on breaking some of them.
Rear Door: 6.5" - I repaced mine with Infinity 2 way, 2 ohm. The rear door panels have 2 screws: 1 behind the door pull, and one in the door handle, just like the front doors.
I originally replaced all of my speakers with the Kicker upgrade. Within a couple of months, I blew the ones in the rear doors. Kicker would not acknowledge my emails, so I bought the Infinity's, and replaced the Kicker dash speakers with Infinity's also because they produce crisper highs. Since the factory BA speakers are 2 ohm, I stayed with replacement 2 ohm speakers, so as not to lose any power from the BA amp.
How do you like the new sound? ...and compare it to the BA system, what are the differences. I have an 07 Overland...the stock speakers are fine right now...just curious for future reference.

2007 Overland, HEMI 4x4, QD II, rear DVD, Light Greystone Pearl, Wrangler SilentArmor 245/65R17

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, HEMI 4x2
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Overland View Post
How do you like the new sound? ...and compare it to the BA system, what are the differences. I have an 07 Overland...the stock speakers are fine right now...just curious for future reference.
I run the bass @ 7 - 8, mid @ 6, high @ 9. If I turn up the volume, and am wearing baggy jeans, the sound (air) moves them! I can rattle the doors and severely vibrate the mirrors - all this with no distortion. The highs are very crisp. I can turn the volume up to 22 with no distortion - just clean sound. The Kicker 6x9's are a silver polycarbonate material, and deliver deep, clean bass. All of the BA speakers were paper - rather cheap IMHO. I would have thought BA would have used something better, although the system does sound good from the factory. Pink Floyd's The Wall especially sounded good with the stock system. Mine just sounds better now, IMHO. What I find really odd is that the Sirius delivers deeper, stronger, crisper bass when compared to the AM/FM and some of my CD's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

So I've been thinking about upgrading my stock (non-BA) speakers for some time now, but they really sound pretty good and the project always seems to remain on the back burner for mods. But reading over these last couple posts got me thinking about it again, but I have a new consideration to factor in. While the speakers are stock, what I will assume are 2ohm, my head-unit is the OERadio operating on "4-8ohms" of resistance. What does this mean I should be looking for in a new speaker? Are the 2ohm speakers making the sound seem better with the aftermarket head-unit? Or should I be looking to pair speakers with the proper impedance?

06 QT1, RC 2" Lift, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 Tires, 20% Front Window Tint, Tinted Taillights and Front Turn Signals, DDM 6K HID lights, E&G Classics Grille, Debadged front, 1948 Studebaker 'Commander' Emblem Rear, Canvas/Slate Katzkin's Leather, Heated Front and Second Row Seats, CH-4100 4.5" DVD/NAV/iPod Headunit, 9" TView Rear Flip-Down Monitor, Accelvision RVC1100 Back-up Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

The Mopar OE Radios are 2 ohms, as well as the BA amp. This was my dilema when I was looking for speakers. At the time Circuit City was still around, and all they carried, as well as Best Buy, was 4 ohm. What I eventually came up with was if I switched to 4 ohm speakers without changing my amp/head unit, I would effectively cut the power in 1/2. I still do not know 100% if this is true, but anyway, I went to Crutchfield where they carry the 2 ohm Infinity's. The Kicker set for the Commander is 2 ohm. I hope this helps. My radio is the 6-disc RAQ. It is about a year old - the discs got stuck inside and the radio was replaced under warranty. I also have a Navus by Mopar dash mounted nav system, so I really don't intend to spend any more money on sound unless one of these craps out again.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Sorry, I knew I should have explained my headunit better. OERadio is the aftermarket brand unit I have in the dash, model CH-4100. If you were concerned that 4ohm speakers on a 2ohm headunit would cut your power in half, does the inverse hold true, doubling the power of my 4ohm headunit with stock 2ohm speakers? I'd love to install some higher quality speakers for more punch and crisp highs, but don't want to put in 4ohm speakers only to find out the sound is diminished (the current setup really does sound pretty great, btw).

06 QT1, RC 2" Lift, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 Tires, 20% Front Window Tint, Tinted Taillights and Front Turn Signals, DDM 6K HID lights, E&G Classics Grille, Debadged front, 1948 Studebaker 'Commander' Emblem Rear, Canvas/Slate Katzkin's Leather, Heated Front and Second Row Seats, CH-4100 4.5" DVD/NAV/iPod Headunit, 9" TView Rear Flip-Down Monitor, Accelvision RVC1100 Back-up Camera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas1230 View Post
Sorry, I knew I should have explained my headunit better. OERadio is the aftermarket brand unit I have in the dash, model CH-4100. If you were concerned that 4ohm speakers on a 2ohm headunit would cut your power in half, does the inverse hold true, doubling the power of my 4ohm headunit with stock 2ohm speakers? I'd love to install some higher quality speakers for more punch and crisp highs, but don't want to put in 4ohm speakers only to find out the sound is diminished (the current setup really does sound pretty great, btw).
From what the "kids" at Circuit City and Best Buy told me, you run the risk of blowing your stock speakers with your aftermarket 4-8 ohm head unit. So, the inverse would hold true. Having a 4 ohm head unit allows you a much wider choice in speakers. BA makes good ones - I still don't know why the stock BA's weren't of a higher quality. Rockford-Fosgate also would be my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in