Halogen plug-ins - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Halogen plug-ins

I'm here because i was raised in an age of ignition points when electronic ignitions were magic.
I've got an 2008 Jeep Commander and was thinking about putting in some Halogen bulbs. (I drive a lot of country roads in Colorado)
First, a friend gave me some he didnt use that he got off E-Bay. Definately look Chinese. They consist of a set of 100 watt lows and 100 watt highs. Does any one think that these might be a problem mechanically?
Also, they were supposed to have some type of high temp conducting grease included to put on the plug connectors but to no avail none were in the box. Can anyone recommend a "best" greese to use for this?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Your factory bulbs are halogen.

Rob....(another old guy)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Seems like the brightest halogen relacements are Sylvania Silver Star Ultras. Other than that , the replacements would go to HIDs, which in my opinion the conversion is more trouble and money than it is worth.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc357 View Post
I'm here because i was raised in an age of ignition points when electronic ignitions were magic.
I've got an 2008 Jeep Commander and was thinking about putting in some Halogen bulbs. (I drive a lot of country roads in Colorado)
First, a friend gave me some he didnt use that he got off E-Bay. Definately look Chinese. They consist of a set of 100 watt lows and 100 watt highs. Does any one think that these might be a problem mechanically?
Also, they were supposed to have some type of high temp conducting grease included to put on the plug connectors but to no avail none were in the box. Can anyone recommend a "best" greese to use for this?
Thanks
I would not even use these. I would go with what Smitty1970 said and go with the SilverStar Ultras. You can purchase these at Walmart, AutoZone, etc. Installation is very simple, and you should not need any grease.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Points: 589, Level: 11 Points: 589, Level: 11 Points: 589, Level: 11
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I personally wouldnt install them, I havent heard to many great things on bulbs bought from ebay unless they were a know brand. If you decide to go with the SilverStar Ultras then check out this post, it might save you a few bucks

| Black '08 XK Limited Hemi 5.7L (Fully Loaded) | Quadra-Drive II |
| 265/70/17 Goodyear DuraTrac's | 17" Vision Wheel 375 Warriors |
| Rough Country 2" Lift | Sylvania SilverStar Ultras (All Lights) |
| Superchips Flashpaq 91 Tune | AIRAID CAI SynthaMax |
| 4xGuard Matrix System | Magnaflow Performance Exhaust |
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Response

Thanks for the info guys.
Sounds like i'll leave these in the box and look at the Sylvania's.
No need to tempt fate!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The Headlamp Assemblies are plastic, I would NOT use anything that you are NOT 100% positive are direct replacement lamps that will NOT get any hotter than direct replacement lamps will. Most DOT legal headlamp bulbs are 55/65 Watt Low/Hi beams, 100 Watt is likely to run a lot hotter.

Halogen usually runs hotter, and if you've got some NON-DOT legal headlamps that are higher wattage than DOT Legal, its reasonable to assume they would get hotter than DOT legal.

Xenon is the latest fad, I really don't pay attention to the hype they print on the boxes, its all about the total light output.

From my research, a couple of years ago, GE NightHawks are the brightest Street Legal Lamps, maybe the PIAA lamps. Things may be different today.

I put GE NightHawks in my Neon R/T, Sylvania Silver Stars in my Grand Caravan. The GE NightHawks seem to be brighter and extend a little further. BUT, the Silver Stars produce a higher temperature light, that is more pleasing to the eye, subjectively it does seem you can see thing close up to some distance away, much better. But I can see farther down the road with the GE NightHawks.

You can find SilverStars just about everywhere, GE NightHawks, I can't find them in any brick & mortar stores, I had to order them off the internet.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-18-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in