Commander aftermarket radio/nav install Q - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,263, Level: 35 Points: 3,263, Level: 35 Points: 3,263, Level: 35
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Commander aftermarket radio/nav install Q

Heres the deal. I am putting a pioneer aftermarket radio/nav in a 07 Commander with Boston Acoustics. I got everything from crutchfield (harness, can bus thing, antenna, ect..) I realize that you have to bypass the factory amplifier to make this work by plugging the crutchfield harness into the harness that would plug into the stock amp (left rear) and run the wires to the reciever location....?. The wiring seems streight forward...easy. But, (and this may seem like a dumb question) there are multiple sets of speakers on the commander (fronts, rears, front on dash, ....), and on the harness for the pioneer reciever there are only wires for front and rear speakers.....so.....how do I wire say the other speakers to the reciever, or can I only use 2 sets of speakers.
Thanx

I also may be thinking about this the wrong way, but I figured I would ask before I start ripping stuff apart.

Last edited by jimmyp3353; 12-21-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I'm NOT a stereo expert, I know there are people on this board that can advise you better and go with their advice it sound better than mine.

BUT, basically;

You wire multiple speaker to one output by using a cross-over, i.e. it splits up the signal so the power goes to alternating speaker according to the frequency.

So, if the front has a speaker and tweeter, you'd wire them in parrallel and have a crossover on each speaker, that splits up the signal to go to each speaker appropraitely. Crossovers can be expensive.

BUT, a cheap way to do this and get away with it, is to just put a capacitor in series with the tweeter, the rating of the capacitor would determine the frequency range it will pass power to the tweeter. The capacitor will act like a cheap crossover for the tweeter. The regular speaker wouldn't have a crossover, but if it doesn't have a tweeter, its NOT going to use much of the high freq energy from the signal anyway and you can get away with NOT using a crossover on it.

Wiring more than one speaker in parrallel will drop the total impedance of the circuit. That can cause the impedance mismatch that everyone was talking about in the other thread.

BUT, if you wire tweeters in parrallel with regular speakers, and use a capacitor to block the low signal to the tweeter, then everything below that frequency will be the impendance of just the one speaker.

I think the Higher freqencies don't have as low an impedance as the total rating anyway, and NOT much energy gets drawn buy having having a tweeter in parrallel and blocked just for higher frequencies. I.E. no worries about clipping, blowing speakers or underdriving speakers at the high frequencies, its the low freqs to worry about. I could be wrong on that, but that is the way I wired up aftermarket on another vehicle I own and never had a problem.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-21-2010 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

HMMM, I dont think its a tweeter. I think there are 2 speakers on the dash, 2 in the front doors, 2 in the back, and a subwoofer (which will be lost wit the amp bypass), just trying to figure out how to get all the speakers to work.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

If that is the case, again, need a better expert to confirm it;

Two 4 ohm speakers in parrallel would equal one 2 ohm speaker. If you have, or get an amp for 2 ohm speakers, then you could wire the two 4 ohm speakers on one channel in parrallel and it would draw the same amount of power as a single 2 ohm speaker.

I would definitely confirm that before spending money, but I believe that is how it works.

My guess, that might NOT provide the greatest fidelity, someone might recommend you need additional amps to provide power for each individual channel.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

The BA amp is 6 channels. 2 channels for the rear doors - full range. 2 channels for the front doors - bass only. 2 channels for the dash - mids and highs only. There is no sub. I have never looked at the BA amp, so I don't know if there is even an output for a sub. It is located behind the driver's side panel, third row. Doesn't Crutchfield make a connecter so you can use the BA amp and factory speakers?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
The BA amp is 6 channels. 2 channels for the rear doors - full range. 2 channels for the front doors - bass only. 2 channels for the dash - mids and highs only. There is no sub. I have never looked at the BA amp, so I don't know if there is even an output for a sub. It is located behind the driver's side panel, third row. Doesn't Crutchfield make a connecter so you can use the BA amp and factory speakers?
Crutchfield makes a harness that bypasses the factory amp which is in the rear panel of the vehicle, that harness runs from where the amp is to the reciever location. My concern is that there is only wiring for 4 speakers (2 front and 2 back) coming out of the pioneer reciever. So how do I make all 6 speakers work.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

When you took out your OEM head unit, there should have been two plugs - the smaller one is power and the larger one is speakers. Did you get some kind of harness to plug these into your new unit?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When you took out your OEM head unit, there should have been two plugs - the smaller one is power and the larger one is speakers. Did you get some kind of harness to plug these into your new unit?

yes, i have the crutchfield harness which connects in place of the amp and is run to the reciever location, so in short, yes I have the crutchfield harness. The harness has wiring for all 6 speakers, and the reciever only has output for 4 speakers (the harness that came with the aftermarket pioneer radio)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Does the harness on the pioneer plug into the Crutchfield harness?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Does the harness on the pioneer plug into the Crutchfield harness?
um, no..it splices in. The crutchfield harness plugs into the stock radio harnesss, and then splices into the pioneer harness which only has wiring for 4 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
nav , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in