2006 Commander alternator issues - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2006 Commander alternator issues

Guys I need some help. I am in the UK and have a 2006 Commander, 3.0L CRD. I have had what was believed to be an faulty alternator - and had it replaced. 3 days later I have again the same fault. The EMS indicated that I should have my parking aid serviced, then the transmission. I parked up last night and this morning I can not get the Commander started - neither with jump crds or a booster pack - engine just keeps turning till no power at all.

Is there other possible causes for a problem that "looks like" an alternator fault. Could it be that the power is leaking out or a management system issue.

I look forward to any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

The battery is the first thing I would look at. How old is it? We have had multiple electrical issues here solved by replacing the battery even when it tests good I would get a new one if its more then 3 years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 AM

or you could see if you can borrow a known good battery then run some tests on the system

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

If the engine turns over no problem but doesnt start, and then eventually the battery dies, it's not the battery. If the battery was bad, the engine mostlikely wouldn't turn over at all. Or if it did, it would turn over just a few cranks and then stop. Also if the battery is dead, you normally hear clicking noises when you try to start the engine. Another thing, if the battery is dead, you should still be able to jump that vehicle from another vehicle as long as you let the battery get enough charge.

I also dont think your alternator is bad. The main purpose of the alternator is to keep the battery charged. If the vehicle will crank over several times but wont start, then its something else. A symptom of a bad alternator would be a dead battery and when you jump the vehicle and drive it for a while and turn the vehicle off, the alternator wont charge the battery properly and then the vehicle wont start again. Resulting in you needing to jump the vehicle again. Also if your driving around and the alternator isnt working, your basically running straight off the batterty and eventually it will die leaving you stranded.

It sounds to me like you have a different issues. Well thats if the vehicle cranks over but doesnt start like you stated.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

That sounds spot on. When I drive the vehicle I get intermitted faults messages and the vehicle seems to shut down one component after another i.e heated seats, then parking sensor, radio etc. When I park up the vehicle has full power and all dash & instruments lights work. Only when I start the vehicle engine turns but it odes not start - eventually it drains all power leaving only a clicking noise. Even though starting fails, all electronics works - central locking, seats etc.

Could it be a faulty ECU?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalJoe View Post
The EMS indicated that I should have my parking aid serviced, then the transmission. I parked up last night and this morning I can not get the Commander started - neither with jump crds or a booster pack - engine just keeps turning till no power at all.
This sounds like the bad shift selector module in the transmission, that was in another thread. I'm a Commander Newb, but knowledgeable on vehicle in general.

I don't know much about this failure, but saw another thread recently where someone was having problems starting, and getting fault codes for the Back-Up/Parking Asssit NOT working. Turned out to be the shift selector module for the electronic transmission that had to be replaced.

My guess, when the selector modules fails it sends all the interlocks for shifting in the transmission crazy, since the interlocks would tie through that module. i.e. the Back-Up/Park Assist system thinks you've shifted into reverse when your NOT, the ignition interlock to start the motor thinks your NOT in park and Neutral, when you are, and won't let the motor start.

Pure guess, but do a search for the thread, might be the problem.

Hopefully its under warranty, because I think the module and labor to replace it is expensive.

-OR-

Maybe its us Yanks, getting back at the British for making cars with such unreliable electrical systems all these years. Joking, we love the Brits and love many of your cars, but we are warry of the reputation for electric problems.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Honestly, im not exactly sure what the problem would be. Maybe robby or someone with a little more knowledge on that will chime in. But I really dont think its the alternator or that battery.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

This is the thread I was talking about, seems to be a more common malfunction with several threads devoted to it. Might be worth reading and see if the symptoms fit.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...control+module
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM

I agree if it turns over properly it won't be the battery unless there is one of those internal gremlin shorts I've been reading about so much lately and not just related to the XK either.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thats great help guys! Now, any knows a good reliable Jeep technician in the UK that can help me get this sorted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
alternator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in