Adding U-Connect Hands Free Kit to a 2010 RES Radio - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Adding U-Connect Hands Free Kit to a 2010 RES Radio

This is for a 2010 Sport, w/3.7L QTI and the RES Radio w/ Satellite.

The Satellite is installed and works, the RES head unit has the U-Connect Hands Free Buttons on it. If you press the Hands Free Buttons it says the U-Connect is NOT installed.

I'm considering adding the kit for this, found an online dealer selling the kit for $209, its the right kit for my Commander.

Thing is, the Instructions say, after installing it, I have to use the StarScan Tool to enter all the VIN information and enable the radio??

Has anyone tried this, and the U-Connect and/or the Radio would NOT work until you brought it to the dealer and had them use the StarScan tool to enter information?? They really have taken the anti-theft measures to the point that adding/removing extra features on the Radios require dealer intervention with their propietary tools?

I have done mods on earlier Chryslers, with MOPAR parts that claimed the same thing, having to have a dealer enter VIN and Mileage information, etc. Sometimes it was true, the device didn't work until the dealer intervened, other times it wasn't necessary, the device worked just fine without doing anything above installing it and connecting it, even though the instructions said to use the Dealer tools to enter information.

So does anyone know from experience, if I install a U-Connect Hands Free Kit on a 2010 RES Radio, will it need the dealer to use the StarScan tool before it will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Points: 589, Level: 11 Points: 589, Level: 11 Points: 589, Level: 11
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Not from first hand experience, but from what I read awhile ago about the uconnect ...

Even if you have the uconnect button on the radio and a uconnect kit, you will still have to have the dealer activate it on the radio. I was also told this from a saleman when I was looking into buying a commander that didnt have it working but had the uconnect button on the radio. Might want to check with a few radio installers in your area, they might be able to activate it for cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| Black '08 XK Limited Hemi 5.7L (Fully Loaded) | Quadra-Drive II |
| 265/70/17 Goodyear DuraTrac's | 17" Vision Wheel 375 Warriors |
| Rough Country 2" Lift | Sylvania SilverStar Ultras (All Lights) |
| Superchips Flashpaq 91 Tune | AIRAID CAI SynthaMax |
| 4xGuard Matrix System | Magnaflow Performance Exhaust |
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

I just looked it up for you. On the 06 and 07, the U-connect control is on the rear view mirror, not the radio. If you add U-connect, you don't have to activate it with the StarScan. However, in 08, U-connect was integrated in the radio and if you add it, you have to StarScan it. I do not know why - U-connect is U-connect whether the control buttons are on the radio or rear view mirror.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks dhh3,

I may ask around, but I'm wasting my time, NO stereo shop in my area is going to be able to invest in a $7000 StarScan tool just for a few customers that would need service that would use it.

I hope someone from Chrysler visits these pages. I've purchased nothing but Chrysler Vehicles for 25 years, BUT, I think these final straws with the Proprietary Design BS on my latest 2010 is going to break the Camel's back for me.

Even comparison shopping for the best discount, the U-Connect Kit costs twice what an aftermarket equivalent would be, I was still considering it because it would integrate so much cleaner. But I have to go into a dealer and pay on top of that for them to use their starscan tool, yea, I'm going to get a fair deal on that.

It was becoming an increasing annoyance on the last few Chrysler's I have purchased, but I'm really getting fed up.

$350 for a spare key

Dealer StarScan to bleed the brakes

Standard maintenance procedures that can only be performed by StarScan tool at the dealer

Just about all trouble shooting for CAN networks, that replace standard discrete circuits in many cases now, only done by StarScan

It would be one thing if they made the tools available at a fair price for professionals and amateurs, BUT they don't, they use their advantage to give the dealerships an anti-competitive advantage.

Throw on top of that, Chrysler has lost all control of their Dealerships and nearly all of them have become rip-off artists when it comes to service.

Looks like my next vehicle will likely be a Ford or Foreign. Balls in Chrysler's court, turn around the Proprietary BS in the next couple of years, maybe I'll be back.

They just have to make the tools available at a reasonable price, it would introduce competition to their dealerships and the competition would force the dealerships to improve and serve the customers better, maybe 3/4 of them won't be unethical rip-off artists when it comes to service, if they did that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Is the online dealer justforjeeps? If it is, do what I do. They give you a 10% discount, but then you have to pay shipping. So, print out the item, and bring it to a local dealer you can trust. First, see if they'll match the discount price. If they do, tell them you will purchase the kit from them but they have to perform the StarScan for free. This is what I did when I purchased my Sirius. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I didn't want a lot of wires and a unit stuck in some inaccessible location! The look is factory built in and the sound is teriffic. I deal with the dealer where I purchased mine, and they have been very fair to me. Of course, I've heard horror stories, but I am very satisfied with them. Next time I go in, I'm going to ask them to activate my DLRL's. I'll let you know if I can get it done for free.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
Has the kit for the 2010 Commander for $31 less than justforjeeps.

I'll call and comparison shop my local dealers, they both changed management recently, the honest dealer twice as far away, but worth the drive, under new management they've changed, it seems they won't even pull a vehicle into the service bay for less than $100. Called them several times for simple, just hook up the DRBIII, stuff, couldn't be more than 10 minutes of time. Every response, at least $100. Even programming my Fobiks, $100 a Fobik. I told them to look up my name in their database, the cars and parts I've purchased over the years, and then told them they could tell their boss they won't ever see me again.

The closer dealer, who's been the rip-off dealer since I've lived here, just changed management, just to be sure I called them about the Fobiks and they said they'd do all of them for $50. So, I'll ask them what they'll charge, but I'd be surprised if its less than $50, I might ask about the price match thing and doing the StarScan for Free.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Good luck, Buddy. Let us know how you make out. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

MERRY XMAS and HAPPY New Year.

Sorry to vent, I'm just getting really frustrated with this proprietary crap, sadly I don't think it will be any better with Ford, Toyota or Volkswagen. BUT, I am definitely going to be looking into it next vehicle purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/14814-adding-u-connect-hands-free-kit-2010-res-radio.html
Posted By For Type Date
Is it possible to add UConnect to a Grand Cherokee RES radio? - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum This thread Refback 06-03-2016 12:05 AM