aftermarket stereo peoblems. no sound - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,263, Level: 35 Points: 3,263, Level: 35 Points: 3,263, Level: 35
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

aftermarket stereo peoblems. no sound

hmm, just installed an aftermarket stereo in an 07 with BA. when i initially wired everything up and gave it a test run everything worked fine. I then went and bolted down the reciever,put the dash back on, tried it again and there is no sound coming out of the speakers. Put the stock radio back in and it worked fine. So I double checked all the wiring and still nothing. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp3353 View Post
hmm, just installed an aftermarket stereo in an 07 with BA. when i initially wired everything up and gave it a test run everything worked fine. I then went and bolted down the reciever,put the dash back on, tried it again and there is no sound coming out of the speakers. Put the stock radio back in and it worked fine. So I double checked all the wiring and still nothing. any ideas?
Fuse on the AMP. Check 1 and 14

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

If it was a blown fuse, why would the OEM radio work fine when he put it back in?

Some aftermarket radios have fuses in the back of them, check it didn't blow in the radio itself.

Did you connect amplified output of your aftermarket radio to the input of the OEM amp??

I'm no expert and I'm sure there are better experts than I on this board, take their word over mine.

BUT, I'm pretty sure if your going to use an AMP, you have to feed the "line level" i.e. NON-amplified output of the aftermarket radio to the amp.

As well, check the impedances match. I "think" its internal protection on the amps (including the internal amp on the head unit) that cause the sound to shut down for mismatches in impedance or short like malfunctions, like a blown speaker.

Thats what I experienced with a blown speaker and couple head units sitting on my shelf, swapped them around, some worked fine for a few minutes then would shut down all sound to the speakers, others would shut down just one side of the amp, either front or left.

NOT saying you have blown speaker, saying you may have a mismatch somewhere between the feeds from head unit to amp to speaker, lets the sound flow at low level for a few moments, but soon overloads and shuts down the sound.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
I'll bet that when you bolted everything down, you pinched a wire and blew a fuse on the new unit, as Mongo said, since when you reinstalled your old unit everything worked.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Fuse on the AMP. Check 1 and 14
I checked #1 (the 30a) before I installed the stock radio. Stock radio works just fine.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM

And thats another point that dhh3 got me thinking about with the pinched wire suggestion.

How good of a job did you do splicing the aftermarket radio wiring into the adapter harness?

Its possible, smashing all that wiring together as you pushed the head unit into the cavity and tightened it down, that you shorted or disconnected a weak or exposed splice, causing your problem.

There are plus's/minus's to soldering wire splices, I do it and use shrink wrap and wrap electric tape over the shrink wrap. Only drawback it makes a brittle section in the wiring, with lots of movement that might cause problems later, I have yet to have something go wrong, but its possible.

Look over your splices again, maybe reconnect the aftermarket radio and shake, squeeze, twist the section of wiring with all the splices, see if you can induce the short, reconnection, etc.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-23-2010 at 09:16 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Fuse in the back of the new unit is good (right below where the harness plugs in). The unit powers up and everything. It did have sound for like 10 minutes.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
And thats another point that dhh3 got me thinking about with the pinched wire suggestion.

How good of a job did you do splicing the aftermarket radio wiring into the adapter harness?

Its possible, smashing all that wiring together as you pushed the head unit into the cavity and tightened it down, that you shorted or disconnected a weak or exposed splice, causing your problem.

There are plus's/minus's to soldering wire splices, I do it and use shrink wrap and wrap electric tape over the shrink wrap. Only drawback it makes a brittle section in the wiring, with lots of movement that might cause problems later, I have yet to have something go wrong, but its possible.

Look over your splices again, maybe reconnect the aftermarket radio and shake, squeeze, twist the section of wiring with all the splices, see if you can induce the short, reconnection, etc.
Yeah, the first time I used the heat shrink connectors with elec tape. Then, when I re-wired I soldered and used heat shrink tubing.

I agree that something could have been pinched, but could something have blown inside the unit itself?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM

You didn't answer the one question, it sounded like you might have done this:

Did you wire the amplified output of the head unit to the input of the factory amp?

-OR- does your head unit have "line level" output for amps, that you wired to the input of the factory amp?

I could see how, at low volume double amplified, the sound would work for a few minutes, but turn it up or run it more than a few minutes, it overloads the amp and it shuts itself down.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Yeah, the first time I used the heat shrink connectors with elec tape. Then, when I re-wired I soldered and used heat shrink tubing.

I agree that something could have been pinched, but could something have blown inside the unit itself?
Is there an internal circuit breaker that needs to be reset? Some times, they work on heat - they reset themselves after they cool off. I'm just throwing ideas out there for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in