Stock sirius tuner location - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Stock sirius tuner location

Does anyone know where the stock Sirius Tuner is located in a 2008 Commander. I would like to use the stock antenna when doing a double din stereo/nav upgrade. But before i tear it apart i would like to find the tuners location.
patsfanwilly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Member
Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 59
I could be very wrong, but I thought the Sirius unit is under the middle seats. I'll double check my answer.

2008 XK Limited 5.7L. 93,500 miles. 3.5"/2" Heavy Metal Leveling Lift. Spider Trax Spacers. Bilsteins. JK rims w/ 255/75 /17.
Andre is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Member
Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 59
If you flip your passenger side middle seat forward and then remove the carpeted cover you see under the seat, you'll see a Sirius unit there. The serial number on top matched my Sirius Video S/N that comes up on the SAT Information screen. I don't know if there are other units in the vehicle. Good luck.

2008 XK Limited 5.7L. 93,500 miles. 3.5"/2" Heavy Metal Leveling Lift. Spider Trax Spacers. Bilsteins. JK rims w/ 255/75 /17.
Andre is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
cico7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mid ohio
Posts: 5,612
Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
2007 Service Manual:
The satellite receiver is located in the right rear quarter area behind the trim panel. It is secured with three mounting fasteners


REMOVAL
WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, side airbag, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.


1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Fold and tumble the right outboard second row seat assembly forward.
3. Remove the carpeted cover panel from over the cavity on the right outboard end of the intermediate step assembly.
4. Remove the mounting fasteners.
5. Disconnect the antenna and electrical harness connectors.
6. Remove the module.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
cico7 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I could be very wrong, but I thought the Sirius unit is under the middle seats. I'll double check my answer.
06 and 07 the receiver is mounted under the second row, outboard seat on the passenger side. There is a piece of ribbed plastic, actually the step for the third row. The cover pops off and it is mounted under there. It is held on with velcro. In 08 and newer, the receiver is integrated with the radio. Got to love the newer electronics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
2007 Service Manual:
The satellite receiver is located in the right rear quarter area behind the trim panel. It is secured with three mounting fasteners


REMOVAL
WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, side airbag, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.


1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Fold and tumble the right outboard second row seat assembly forward.
3. Remove the carpeted cover panel from over the cavity on the right outboard end of the intermediate step assembly.
4. Remove the mounting fasteners.
5. Disconnect the antenna and electrical harness connectors.
6. Remove the module.
This picture is for the GC, not the Commander. When I was looking to purchase the Sirius receiver, I wanted to see how hard it would be to do it myself. The instructions for the installation on the Mopar site were for the GC, not the Commander. Think about it: that location is for the third row heat/AC.
dhh3 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Member
Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
In 08 and newer, the receiver is integrated with the radio. Got to love the newer electronics!
Well, I learned something new. Thanks. Stuff like this makes think about my friend's old Jeep Wagoneer we rode around in during high school. It was big, it was orange and it was easy to work on.

2008 XK Limited 5.7L. 93,500 miles. 3.5"/2" Heavy Metal Leveling Lift. Spider Trax Spacers. Bilsteins. JK rims w/ 255/75 /17.
Andre is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Well, I learned something new. Thanks. Stuff like this makes think about my friend's old Jeep Wagoneer we rode around in during high school. It was big, it was orange and it was easy to work on.
I was wondering cause i flipped the seat down and didnt see a tuner in that location. I think im gonna document the whole double din nav install with pictures so maybe i could help someone else in the future. Andre i understand what your talking about. I also have a 1969 Chevrolet C10 pickup which is REALLY easy to work on. Thanks everyone for your help. Tonight i start the install. We will see how it goes.
patsfanwilly is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
cico7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mid ohio
Posts: 5,612
Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanwilly View Post
I was wondering cause i flipped the seat down and didnt see a tuner in that location.
Did you find the Tuner? Where was it?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
cico7 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanwilly View Post
I was wondering cause i flipped the seat down and didnt see a tuner in that location. I think im gonna document the whole double din nav install with pictures so maybe i could help someone else in the future.
Your initial post asked where the receiver was on an 08. I posted that in an 08, the receiver was integrated into the radio. So, you won't find it under the back seat! Sirius was an option in 06 and 07 (the receiver was a separate unit mounted under the back seat), and then became standard when the sirius receiver was integrated into the head unit in 08 and beyond.
dhh3 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
Your initial post asked where the receiver was on an 08. I posted that in an 08, the receiver was integrated into the radio. So, you won't find it under the back seat! Sirius was an option in 06 and 07 (the receiver was a separate unit mounted under the back seat), and then became standard when the sirius receiver was integrated into the head unit in 08 and beyond.
Yeah i realized that after i couldnt find it. Andre and cico7 posted before you did about the location. Andre said under the seat and cico7 said it was in the right rear quarter which is true for other years. I tried looking for it before you even posted your response. But thank you for posting that i wouldve been looking forever for it.
patsfanwilly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome