Does the dealer really have to code my radio for dvd? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Does the dealer really have to code my radio for dvd?

Hi,

I have an 07 Commander and just picked up a factory DVD VES system on ebay from a dealer (all complete, instructions, templates, brackets, etc)
My question is that in the instructions it says the delaer has to "flash" my radio with a sales code for the DVD to turn on. Is this true. Ive heard yes and no. I guess I thought itd just be "plug and play"?

Its an RAQ 6 disc radio.

Thanks!

2007 Commander - Rocky Moutnain Edition
Red pearl, Sirius Sat, window tint, smoke wind deflectors, chrome factory rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Yes he does, he has to set the CAN BUS to recognize the radio as a NAV unit it it'll throw an CEL code. Silly, but true.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Yes, he has to change a setting in the CAN BUS or it'll throw a CEL code.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Guess Ill have the dealer do the complete install then.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,277, Level: 100 Points: 59,277, Level: 100 Points: 59,277, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr View Post
Yes he does, he has to set the CAN BUS to recognize the radio as a NAV unit it it'll throw an CEL code. Silly, but true.
He is not installing a radio. He is installing the OEM overhead DVD system. He says he has an RAQ radio in his XK. The RAQ is not a navigation unit. I think he can just connect the VES to the radio and not need any programming by the dealer. At least it would be worth a try first and if it doesn't work then go to the dealer and get it programmed.

RAQ radio

AM /FM stereo Radio with integrated six-disc CD changer and MP3 capability
Six-disc capacity, with integrated CD magazine
MP3 playback. CDs containing MP3-encoded files can be played. Allows for over 60 hours of music if all six discs are MP3-encoded
12 AM/12 FM station presets
CD-R and CD-RW compatible
Sirius Satellite radio capability, with 12 presets (when equipped)
Bass, treble, balance, and fade control through on-screen menu
Radio Broadcasting Data System (RBDS) capability — displays broadcast information, such as station names and category
Ignition-off disc ejection capability
Hands-free phone capability with factory UConnect system
Vehicle entertainment systems (VES) capabilities
66 Watts total power at 3% total harmonic distortion

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 09-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Jeep, yes u are correct on my install question! thank u!

Im guessing I am gonna need the star scan done to the radio. I found in the bottom of the box today, a sheet with instructions on what steps to take once the star scan is hooked up.

Basically, its just scrolling down and when it get to "VES" there's an "add" option.

Either way, the dealer says $385 for the factory overhead install which I figgy isnt bad,Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Ricomondo; 12-01-2011 at 06:04 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81

What is required is very confusing, because Chrysler is NOT forthcoming with the necessary information and they intentionally disable accessories and components that must be "enabled" by the Dealer. For no other reason I can find, other than to create business for the Dealership.

1.) Its unecessary, aviation and IT has been dealing with bus control and configuration for decades before Chrysler, and there are all sorts of strategies to very easily totally automate changing things on the bus without having to do extra work with extra tools to configure it.

2.) At least for the accessories I have dealt with, bus configuration was NOT an issue. (I have NOT dealt with a DVD unit though) I don't have the dealer starscan, even if I could afford it, with dealernet needed for many things, I would still be locked out of my own vehicle even if I did buy the outrageously priced tool. But the tools I do have, I can monitor the bus and perform built-in self-tests on the modules, they are the bus and communicating, plug & play, they run their self-test and report through the bus they pass. They are simply disabled until the starscan tool enables them. As well, I've seen posts from folks lucky enough to find the module they want in a junkyard, that was previously used, since it had been enabled before, it works plug & play, no trip to the Dealership necessary. So why don't they work plug & play new, when they work plug & play used, with no problem at all?

My Guess, that could be wrong, if you are installing a used unit that was enabled before, it should still be enabled and should work plug & play, but that is only the unit itself, it it needs to interact with other units, with features that are turned off in the other unit, that feature likely will NOT turn on automatically. Now, if you need a feature turned on, in the OEM radio, that very well may need the dealer starscan tool to turn it on. Even though the bus could easily configure itself with the bus controller, and turn the feature on in the radio, but then the dealer wouldn't get any $$$. I would think you would still save a lot of money doing the install yourself, and only pay for the labor to use the starscan tool and NOT hours of extra labor.

Call around, some dealers will only charge a half-hour of labor for a simple 5 minute starscan jobs, while others charge a whole hour. One dealer near me charges $50 while the other charges $105 for the tech to hook up the starscan and press a couple of buttons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in