aftermarket nav - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

aftermarket nav

i'm looking to install a NAV system in our JC. am i further ahead to buy a factory system or should i go aftermarket? i'm not concerned about the stereo itself. the factory stereo is fine for me and i'm not renewing the sirius subscription when mine runs out next month.
i like the factory look and would probably prefer to keep with factory equipment but i would like the biggest bang for the $.
i would like to stay under $1000. i've read on here that the factory install is pretty easy so i would probably do that myself but if i go aftermarket then i will pay for installation.
what all is needed for the factory install and how hard is it? how long does it take?

From the land of the 6-time super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: aftermarket nav

Check out the Pioneer AVIC-D3 which is going to be available in a month or two. I believe the price point is $1000 on that. It is expandable to include rear camera, bluetooth handsfree (if you don't already have UConnect), Sirius or XM, XMTraffic, etc. etc. The coolest additional feature is the ability to configure the lighting on the unit to match your car's dash lights so it looks like it is a factory unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html

I am considering modifying my Cherokee's dash and installing this unit when it is available (yes, you can make a dual-DIN unit fit in a Cherokee... you just need to do some fiberglass work on the dash).

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
5x5
Points: 1,386, Level: 20 Points: 1,386, Level: 20 Points: 1,386, Level: 20
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

I would stay away from the factory nav. It lacks a lot of features and it locks out a lot of stuff when the vehicle is moving. It's also a little cumbersome to use without touch screen or voice commands.
I'm looking at the garmin nuvi 680 for my other car. It comes out soon (around $800.) It is portable which makes for not such a clean install but you can move it from car to car which is nice if you travel and rent a car. It also has bluetooth and the MSN traffic, weather, current gas prices, movie times and some other stuff. It is an MP3 player and can sync with your computer for addresses, telephone numbers, waypoints, and music. And you can load different types of maps like topo maps if you want. The factory nav update is $200 while the garmin is about $60-$70 depending on the map you choose.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%

Some people love to stay "factory" style, but there are a few very attractive headunits out there such as the new Pionner that I would love to add on to my Commander. They only problem will be that they will attract thieves big time unless you get a face-off unit.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

i just bought a garmin streetpilot c550 yesterday for my truck. i will use it for now in the jeep if we take it and if i decide i need a second one then i'll decide which route to go from there.
i asked the salesman at bestbuy what the difference was between the nuvi and the streetpilot and he said that the only real difference was the $300 and the nuvi had a built in translator for traveling outside the u.s. i don't plan on using it in other countries so i saved the $300 and got the streetpilot.
i have only used it for a few miles in town here but it seems to work pretty good. it has touch screen and bluetooth. i linked my phone to it and it transferred my phone book to it.
i'll see more next week as i'm going on a short trip to a town about 100 miles away that i have never been to before.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%

I have the streetpilot C330 and I love it. I haven't even upgraded the map and it is still very accurate. Can't go wrong with the C550, best electronic toy you'll ever own. I myself would love an indash unit, but mucho $$$...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

the only problem with the in-dash unit is that next week i'll be driving my truck. an in-dash unit in my wifes commander won't do me a bit of good.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60

Looks like you've got a generous budget, but if, like me, you're a cheapo at heart...

I just bought a TomTom One at Office Depot for $250. It's a basic voice nav, but has great ratings all over. It picks up satellites from inside the house ... on the ground floor. So I could probably use it from the console of the Commander rather than sticking it to the window.

It does not come with a home charger (that's an accessory), but I was pleased to find that it has a mini-USB port and that my Motorola Razr wall charger will juice it up just fine. :-)

And I've got John Cleese giving me directions (and a bit of attitude)!

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |

Last edited by webjones; 02-26-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in