Handsfree? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Handsfree?

well up here in Alberta we have a "distracted driving" law which states its illegal to even hold a cell phone when driving.

therefore after ignoring it for so long i decided i want to get a handsfree kit.

now i have the base model stereo in my 06 and i really would like a "car kit" instead of a visor mounted handsfree setup

what are you guys useing for hands free?

FYI i have an Iphone. so it must be compatable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A.K.A SNOWMANDER

2006 Dark Khaki Commander:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Clicky

<-Clicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Honestly, a headset is the best way to go unless you want to swap out the radio for a BT enabled one. You can also buy the OnStar rearview mirror kit that has built in BT.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Points: 2,746, Level: 31 Points: 2,746, Level: 31 Points: 2,746, Level: 31
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I have Uconnect that came with the stock stereo system. it's completely hands free, all I have to do is say answer or hit the phone button on my rear view mirror.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 11:51 PM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erk469 View Post
I have Uconnect that came with the stock stereo system. it's completely hands free, all I have to do is say answer or hit the phone button on my rear view mirror.
Does anybody know if I can just buy a U-Connect mirror setup and get the Bluetooth and handsfree functionality?

Mine is an '06 limited with the RAQ (single-DIN with nobs, No Nav)

TIA
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81

If you buy the add on U-Connect assessor it will come with a stick on microphone, no need to get the special rear view mirror.

Look up the U-Connect kit in the mopar accessories catalog, it should list the radios it will work with. I don't think it will work the RAQ, I had the REQ radio that it works with, the REQ has hands free buttons on it (didn't work without the Uconnect kit) the RAQ radio doesn't have those buttons.

Don't bother with the iPod features and extras for U-Connect, they don't work, Chrysler won't keep up with the firmware updates for iPods, so any iPod that has had its firmware updated in the last 5 years won't work with it.

Keep in mind, a new U-Connect has to be enable with the Dealer wiTECH tool, meaning even if you install it yourself, it won't work until you go into the dealer and pay them to turn the unit on. If you get a used one, its already been turned on and will work as soon as you install it.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Thanks Mongo.
So, let me get this straight: to get the U-Connect, I'd need to replace the stereo with something other than the RAQ, and then buy the U-Connect add-on with microphone, which then needs to be enabled at the dealer.

sunnuva....

All I'm really trying to do it get a good hands-free phone system.

any suggestions?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81

I'm making guesses, I put my U-Connect in years ago, so I could be wrong on those, you need to look it up yourself.

You can go aftermarket, either aftermarket radio with built in hands free or just a stand alone hands free kit. There are dozens of stand alone devices that simply clip to the visor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in