Dash Gauges Go Dead! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dash Gauges Go Dead!

So yesterday we had a lot of rain and so forth and on the way home my husband said several lights came on the dash. He could not get them to go off. This morning he started it no more lights. On his way back from PT (navy guy he was running) he said all of the gauges went dead like he shut the jeep off then they all came back on. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas or suggestions would be great before I take it down to drop it off at the dealer.

Thanks in advance
Tlambert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Points: 939, Level: 16 Points: 939, Level: 16 Points: 939, Level: 16
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Re: Dash Gauges Go Dead!

Yea i had the same prob with my 06 JC. just a two or three weeks ago. You should take it to the dealer ship cause my prob got worse where the dash didnt come back on at all and when i tried to turn i felt some grinding in the wheels it was weird so after having it towed to the dealer they keep it for a few days and told me they had to replace the ignition switch so far its been working fine since..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Yes, I have that everytime water sprays up under the Jeep. Even going through the auto car wash. Took it to the dealer, surprisingly, they could not recreate.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Points: 2,335, Level: 29 Points: 2,335, Level: 29 Points: 2,335, Level: 29
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

My commander did the same thing. 1st time I was driving down the road and the alert/warning lights started flashing on and off (all of them). 2nd time I was driving down the road and the alert/warning lights flashed and the guages dropped all the way down and back up again. 3rd time I was driving and all that happened again and the engine cut off for a second. The engine light came on after that and stayed on. I drove directly to the dealership where they checked the code. They said it was related to the ignition switch as well. I have it scheduled to be replaced. The service manager said it he has replaced 4 for the same problem already. I believe this is related to other posts about Commanders stalling or shutting off while driving because I believe that is what mine was trying to do on that third time. There is an investigation going on by the NHTSA on that issue with a possiblility of a recall. Hopefully this will fix it for good.

UPDATE!!! Jeep has updated the ignition switch for the Commander. My commander is scheduled to get the ignition switch replaced with the updated one solve this problem.

Last edited by commander47; 06-13-2007 at 02:50 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I am taking in the commander this week b/c now it will not stay running. It starts then dies three seconds later. None of the gauges are working at all. So it finally started yesterday after about 8 tries through out the day and stayed running long enough to pull it beside the house to sit. I should have had it into the dealer sooner but things don't always work out that way. Besides it was not setting any codes yet so now that it is maybe I can get this taken care of quickly. Thanks all.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlambert95
Thanks all. I am taking in the commander this week b/c now it will not stay running. It starts then dies three seconds later. None of the gauges are working at all. So it finally started yesterday after about 8 tries through out the day and stayed running long enough to pull it beside the house to sit. I should have had it into the dealer sooner but things don't always work out that way. Besides it was not setting any codes yet so now that it is maybe I can get this taken care of quickly. Thanks all.
Sounds like a problem with the Sentry Key. Did you try your other key?

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
Sounds like a problem with the Sentry Key. Did you try your other key?
Yeah my husband thought the same thing tried it and did same thing. We took it to the dealer they are telling me that the reason it was happening was a low battery. They said they replaced the battery and it fixed all its problems. To say the least I am a little skeptical of that. We will see. I pick it up tom.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

I had the same issue about 3 weeks ago. Drove home from work, everything was fine. Changed clothes, got back in the Commander, started it, no gauges, a/c, etc. Shut it off to check owners manual about fuses, thought maybe one had blown, turned it back on, everything worked fine, but the check engine light was on. Drove where I was going, sat for about 2 hours, check engine light was still on, got home and parked overnight. In the morning, started up and no check engine light. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the ignition switch that needed to be replaced. Took almost a week to get the part in, wrong part came, took the Commander on vacation, about 250 mile trip each way, got back this weekend, had an appointment today to have the ignition switch replaced. Only drove home, but haven't had any problems since the initial time. I asked the service rep if this was common, they said it was the first they had seen with this issue.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah my husband was thinking something with the switch too. So looked a the fuses and used dif. keys etc. We had it towed to the dealer b/c it would start but not stay running. They changed the battery which they said was low voltage and that it was what caused all my problems. It is running but it keeps wanting to die on me at stop lights. The dash gauges are working for now. I am giving it a matter of time though before it starts all over. They did not even take it for a drive afterwards is what is really bad. It had .5 miles on the trip odometer. I suspect that the check engine light was off when they finally got to it after 3 days of being there and the only thing they could find was the the low battery. So I don't know when the next time this is going to arise but I am pretty sure it will again. Just taking time for it to decide it wants to again. Time will tell.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Points: 3,723, Level: 38 Points: 3,723, Level: 38 Points: 3,723, Level: 38
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlambert95
Yeah my husband was thinking something with the switch too. So looked a the fuses and used dif. keys etc. We had it towed to the dealer b/c it would start but not stay running. They changed the battery which they said was low voltage and that it was what caused all my problems. It is running but it keeps wanting to die on me at stop lights. The dash gauges are working for now. I am giving it a matter of time though before it starts all over. They did not even take it for a drive afterwards is what is really bad. It had .5 miles on the trip odometer. I suspect that the check engine light was off when they finally got to it after 3 days of being there and the only thing they could find was the the low battery. So I don't know when the next time this is going to arise but I am pretty sure it will again. Just taking time for it to decide it wants to again. Time will tell.
They should still be able to pull the codes (stored) even if the check engine light is off, did they tell you what the codes were? They should have checked. If it is wanting to die at stop lights obvisouly something is wrong I would take it back and have the service manager drive it with you in the passanger seat so he can have first hand experience on what is going on.

It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in