Aftermarket Alarm? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Aftermarket Alarm?

I want to get an sftermarket alarm for the Commander but am worried as two alarms I had in my ZJ failed to disable the factory alarm occasionally, resulting in the factory alarm going off when the door was opened. This, of course, usually occured in the early morning as my neighbors were sleeping.

That being said, I'm thinking seriously about one that will monitor the outside of the vehicle and warn people getting to close to the vehicle to back off. Anyone had any experience with them; good points/bad points?

If anyone gets an aftermarket alarm installed, I'd be curious as to how it works out and what you had installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Points: 1,988, Level: 26 Points: 1,988, Level: 26 Points: 1,988, Level: 26
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Re: Aftermarket Alarm?

How about cutting the wire to the siren of the factory alarm?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55 Points: 6,977, Level: 55
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

There's no siren - it's your horn.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Points: 2,554, Level: 30 Points: 2,554, Level: 30 Points: 2,554, Level: 30
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

I talked to some installers at a mobile shop. they said they leave the factory alarm alone and you should not use your key opener with the factory panic button so you dont set it off. The problem being our keys have our panic button on it. You may want to talk to the dealer to see if there is a way to bypass the factory alarm.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31 Points: 2,740, Level: 31
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

I have an aftermarket alarm on my xk. You get what you pay for. The dealer who installed the alarm left the factory alarm alone. The alarms on my other vehicles were well worth the money spent. Don't buy a cheapy, you'll regret it. maximo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Unless you are looking for adventure, I recomend going to a specialty retailer for the instalation. No Best Buy, etc are not specialty retailers. While there are somethings they do very well, installing alarms is not usualy one of them. Most retail chains specify how an alarm is installed. In most all cases, rear doors, hatchbacks rear passenger doors are not even connected as they require more work and in some cases more parts.

Specialty retailers on the other hand are generaly more through and their business depends on customer satisfaction.

I have always installed my own alarms and as the OEM systems get better, the the install gets more complex. My vehicle prior to the Commander was a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. The OEM alarm, went active when ever the doors were locked without the ignition on. In this case there were intrusion sensors in the key shackes that would detect for someone trying to open the lock mechanism without using a key. Im my case I chose not to disable the factory alarm, but use it along side the after market. In this case I had to have the aftermarket send a 12v+ signal to the accessory at the ignition switch to disable the oem system. Other wise the aftermarkey would set off the OEM alarm when the doors were unlocked without the origional alarm being disarmed.

In the next couple of weeks I will be installing an aftermarket alarm in to the Commander with the help of the Jeep Electrical Manual. I will try to document as much of the install as I can and post it up here when I am done.

At the moment the plan is to install a system that:

Will work WITH the existing alarm system
Remote Starts
Detects ALL doors, hood, rear window and rear lift.
Uses AUX buttons to open the rear window and the rear lift (2 buttons)
While I currently do not have ski racks installed, a wire will be routed so that I can also connect the ski racks to the alarm.
Disable the vehicle by not allowing the starter to function (the relay will be deep in the engine compartment to make it more difficult to bypass.

Wish me luck
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Points: 2,879, Level: 32 Points: 2,879, Level: 32 Points: 2,879, Level: 32
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

I've got a Clifford Matrix with remote start. Fun, but a pain to carry the big factory key along with the radio transmitter / receiver fob.

The professional installer left the factory alarm fully intact. I never use the factory key buttons and no problems. If I sell the vehicle, it can go back to stock and I can take the Matrix alarm out.

Good luck with your install.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Is the factory alarm system so bad? It seems that any alarm system that depends on the main battery is easily disabled. A simple blinking light deters the yoyos and nothing short of a boot will stop a pro. Actually a boot will not either. The factory setup seems like a pretty good one to me but I have never stolen trucks for a living.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Points: 2,554, Level: 30 Points: 2,554, Level: 30 Points: 2,554, Level: 30
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by samax8
Is the factory alarm system so bad? It seems that any alarm system that depends on the main battery is easily disabled. A simple blinking light deters the yoyos and nothing short of a boot will stop a pro. Actually a boot will not either. The factory setup seems like a pretty good one to me but I have never stolen trucks for a living.
the factory alarm is great in stoping someone from steeling the JC but it is poor at stoping theft of whats in the JC. After market alarms can have back up batteries installed so its harder to cut the alarm, plus they are much more sensitive to break in. The two alarms as a pair give you added security.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:40 AM
Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28 Points: 2,198, Level: 28
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Thanks donutz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in