Getting better sound out of non-BA stock radio using i-pod - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
HSG
Points: 909, Level: 16 Points: 909, Level: 16 Points: 909, Level: 16
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Getting better sound out of non-BA stock radio using i-pod

Hello all,

As a quick introduction: I'm new to the forum, I'm currently leasing an '06 base(sport) commander 4x4, 3.7L and will probably end up buying the truck out at the end due to overmileage and the fact that I really do like the truck. Anyway...

For all those out there who may be leasing and are hesitant to install any aftermarket audio/video etc. I think i've been able to extract some pretty decent sound out of the much-to-be desired non-BA factory head unit using my 3rd gen Ipod nano. I listen to all types of music ranging from hip-hop to hardcore and everything in between and using some creative Equalizing in both the Ipod and head unit settings, decent (not great by any means) audio quality can be acheived (of course assuming your music files are of high quality. Here are the settings I found work best:

IPOD:

In the SETTINGS menu select EQ

If you prefer emphasis on both the High and Low frequencies and minimal Mid range frequencies choose the LATIN setting (I know sounds strange)

if You want a more well rounded frequency band emphasizing High, Mid and Low choose JAZZ

STOCK NON-BA HEAD UNIT

On the head unit set the:

BASS anywhere from -1 to +1 (-1 for predominantly bass heavy music such as dance, hip hop... +1 for more Rock, Jazz, POP oriented music)

MID set the mid to -3 or -4 for all types

TREBLE set the treb to +7 or +8 this will help make up for the lack of "brightness" in the factory dash speakers

BALANCE: leave centered

FADE: set to Rear +2 (2 biased towards rear speakers) This will place some of the Low end burden on the rear channels while not taking away from front imaging... rear seat passangers may not agree but hey...

I have found that these settings translate well for the radio, CD and my external XM receiver as well so you shouldn't have to toggle audio settigs back and forth... Again this is just what i found to sound acceptable out of my stock radio... Try it, if it works for you let me know, if not you can tell me to F-off.... later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Hey, congrats on the Commander, and thanks for the useful info.

Are you using the headphone jack on the Ipod and the aux in jack on the base headunit, or are you using the Mopar Ipod Integration accessory?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
HSG

thanks Red Commander

I'm using the AUX input jack and turning the volume on the ipod up just over 3/4 full volume. The AUX jack is surprisingly quiet as far as amp noise or anything...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

as far as a lease goes you can mod all ya want but ya gotta be able to go back to stock, which is easy to do with audio stuff, so go for it..start with the dash speakers, that will wake it up a bit and they are the cheapest of the six

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
HSG

What size speakers do they run in the dash? How about the front doors? I know they look like 8" woofers up there...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

3.5" in the dash

6 x 9 in the front doors, i needed 1/2" spacers for infinity kappa's, window wouldnt roll down

6.5" in the rear doors, no spacers needed

if you order from crutchfield they usually send you the adapters and spacers for free so no splicing required

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
HSG

thanks for the info ldc... Crutchfield is the cat's ass, much better than any Bestbuy or Circuit City...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in