Completed Custom Sub Box - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Completed Custom Sub Box

Here is my sub box. The pictures don't do the box justice because it is at night, but the angle matches perfectly with the third row. Also, the gray vinyl matches the car, the brown you see is yes, brown bear fur, the plexiglass window is removable, and there is a quarter inch edge so the box can be inverted. It is a shallow mount Kicker CVT and 5 Channel amp. The sub SCREAMS. You may ask "Why the fur?" I wanted a custom look, and wrapping the front plate required a thicker material than vinyl because of bubbling and wrapping it was impossible to use vinyl. The 3.5 farad cap is mounted in the side cargo pocket. Also there is another piece that attaches to the right side where the amp can be unattached and removed.

I will have more pics/daytime pics later

Aaron's 2006 Commander 4.7 V8 QT-II:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Very nice. I like it, well, the fur.... you know.

But, that is exactly what we need in the Commander. Good job. Now, be a dear and post up the exact dimensions so I can steal it from you, would ya.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

The funny thing is when I was at the fabric store I was looking at stuff and I was like what the hell am I going to find to make this work. I wasn't about to make a custom "plate" (well i looked into diamond plating but I couldn't find a place to punch out the woofer hole or the amp window) nor was I about to fiberglass something I just meticulously cut with perfect windows. And then I found the fur. I admit, it doesn't look nice in the pictures. I am not a hunter, noe am I a "fur" guy. But damnit, I must say I have gotten nothing but praise from people who have seen it in person (even the custom shop guys I know with their little 24" chrome wheel rides). I wish I could give you the dimensions, but it is kinda one of those "cut to spec" things. My dad is an eye doctor, but being a farm boy he kinda picked up carpentry as a skill and kinda just did his thing. I should have taken pictures as I went but well, it was just an as I had time thing while I worked and visited home. We put the top, bottom, front and back together first because there was no way else to clamp it while the glue set. Next, we cut the speaker hole and prayed the shallow mount sub the depth fit. Then putting the inner chamber wall was next and we just measured the size from in the box, pushed it in, and vaccumm caulked it. Built end pieces, cut the plexiglass window, then cut and bezeled (3/8") the mount for the plexiglass, and vinyled and "furred" the front. When running the power wire to the rear, pop out the side pieces by the back seat, it really helps.

I know this is long, but I figured I would just explain it all now. Wish you could see the actual product because the pictures honestly dont do it justice.

---
---

--

Last edited by BoilerCommander; 11-15-2007 at 08:06 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

To respond to the PM's I have recieved, it is angled with the back seat and is not rectangle, I will post some pics later that show this

---
---

--
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Don't want you to think I'm doggin your bear skin man. It's cool. I just imagine it would shed. Grey carpet would to me just fine, don't need anything fancier than that for my ride.

So the actual sub box would you say goes to about the split in the seats? Did you have a sub at all before this?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander

So the actual sub box would you say goes to about the split in the seats? Did you have a sub at all before this?

No worries! I would say the middle chamber is slightly to the left of the split. I placed polyfill in the box to increase the airspace. No, I didn't put subs in the commander before this, I wanted to wait and do it right. I have had plenty of other setups in my Wrangler and Acura Cl (God did that car have a system).

---
---

--
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Points: 2,204, Level: 28 Points: 2,204, Level: 28 Points: 2,204, Level: 28
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

With all do respect, that has to be the fuggliest looking box I have ever seen!!! IMHO it would look much better in grey carpet to match the seats.

I have been unable to find a matching grey carpet.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhouse
With all do respect, that has to be the fuggliest looking box I have ever seen!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckAx2
Wish you could see the actual product because the pictures honestly dont do it justice
Quote:
IMHO it would look much better in grey carpet to match the seats.
Quote:
I have been unable to find a matching grey carpet.
You answered your own question.

If you read anywhere this is temporary because I wanted it done and in the car to show people the design and to have fun with it. I mean I guess I can say it one more time that the pictures dont look anything like the real thing but you may not catch on

---
---

--
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Points: 2,204, Level: 28 Points: 2,204, Level: 28 Points: 2,204, Level: 28
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

I didn't mean to offend you it's just my opinion. The design is cool, but the fur and vinyl make it look ghetto. I have been around Car Audio for a very long time and that would never sell! You can see the corners are not wrapped that well, there's wood sticking out the right side and the fur looks like someone sprayed it on. Even with out the grey carpet to match, black or some other contrasting color carpet would make it look much better and better your chances of selling some.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Points: 2,275, Level: 28 Points: 2,275, Level: 28 Points: 2,275, Level: 28
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Looks sharp man. Like the uniqueness. Disregard the hate. Youll have haters everywhere, and in everything you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in