Replace 2008 RER MyGig nav radio with 2009-2010 RER version? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Replace 2008 RER MyGig nav radio with 2009-2010 RER version?

Does anyone know if a 2008 RER Uconnect MyGig nav radio can be easily replaced with a 2009-2010 version of the same radio? The reason this idea came to mind is that there is an iPod interface cable available for the RER Uconnect MyGig radios but only for the 2009-2010 version.

If the radio is able to be easily replaced will it require dealer programming? Has anyone ever done this? Someone is offering me their 2009-2010 RER radio at a cheaper price than what the Lockpick sells for so it's a hard deal to pass up if it'll allow me add the iPod interface cable. Thanks!

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Over the years Chrysler has changed its interface for radios, both physical form/fit and electrical connectors. But for the Commander I'm "pretty sure" they are all from the same family of radios with the same form/fit/connectors. So a radio swap should be plug and play with a few exceptions, like if the new radio has features requiring equipment elsewhere in the vehicle that your vehicle does NOT have. Things like Satellite Antennas, GPS antennas, Steering Wheel Control Buttons, etc, etc. You'd have to add that extra equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
...The reason this idea came to mind is that there is an iPod interface cable available for the RER Uconnect MyGig radios but only for the 2009-2010 version....
I did something similiar, added a Chrysler Uconnect Hands Free Kit from the Dealer Acessories, for my Factory Radio. With the iPod Interface Cable.

The Hands Free Works just fine, the iPod interface is worthless, it doesn't work at all. I've tried all iPod/iPhone Products of various generations and firmware status, none work.

Googling it showed one post after another all over the internet complaining about Chrysler's iPod interface NOT working with any iPod/iPhone that is newer than the release date of the specific Chrysler iPod Interface Cable NOR any earlier iPod/iPhone that has had its firmware upgraded to a version later than the release date of the Chrysler iPod Interface Cable.

You'll find posts from people reporting they called Chrysler Customer Service and were told Chrysler is aware of the problem and working on a fix that will be released soon. The posts span 4 years or more, the same thing happening and Chrysler saying they are working on a fix and will be releasing it soon and no fix has ever been released.

My experience was several years ago, I gave up and stopped trying to find a fix and get it working. So, if someone tells you from more recent experience that it works for you specific equipment or Chrysler has released a fix, listen to them, otherwise, I would NOT even risk it, most likely you'll spend good money and time installing that cable to find it won't work.

Even more frustrating, Chrysler keeps selling the cables, claiming they are compatible when they are NOT. Best I can tell, the only people that have gotten the cables to work on anything other than a brand new Chrysler vehicle, have been people with older generation iPod's that they hacked them to go back to earlier versions of firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
.....If the radio is able to be easily replaced will it require dealer programming?....
This is frustrating, more and more electronic modules are like this by design from the Manufacturer, some for good reason, some for bad reason, like no other reason but to force the customer into the dealership to overpay for uneeded servicing.

If its a brand new radio, like most brand new electronic modules, it will have to be activated by the Dealership using their proprietary tools. I think that is anti-theft measure, if someone hi-jacks a truck load of parts, they'll don't work, and the only way to make sure they work is too have a dealer activate it with a tool that checks a data base over the internet and would be able to tell the module was stolen.

Many used electronic modules, were either activated at the factory or by dealer from the previous owner, so they will work just fine when you plug them in.

In a few cases, the Front Control Module (Central Gateway for the CAN Bus / Vehicles Computer Network) has to be configured to properly work with the new module, most cases NOT, it recognizes the new equipment and configures itself.

Finally, I have read, but don't know for sure, but some of the ultra-premium stereo's from the factory have anti-theft measures that they have to activated by the dealer if you move them to a new car. Just like PCM's and WINS/WEEMS (the electronic ignition key modules). The modules/radios check serial numbers/VIN's with the other modules and won't turn on if they recognize they've been swapped into another car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 AM

Oh, and one last one, for the "MyGig" stereo's, there is an anti-priracy feature, all the music you've uploaded and stored on a "MyGig" stereo can NOT be downloaded again by the owner/user. The Dealer can download the music and move it to another Chrysler Stereo, but will NOT give you a copy of what is on the stereo.

If you actaully own the music, then you should have an original copy of it to upload to your new stereo, thus not needing to download another copy from the old stereo. Yea, I know, I've done it also, lost original copies of the music I own.

If you were able to download the music on the stereo yourself, then people would downloading copies from each other's stereo's and stealing the music, that is why only the dealer can do it and only transfer the music from one owner's old stereo to his new stereo.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Googling it showed one post after another all over the internet complaining about Chrysler's iPod interface NOT working with any iPod/iPhone that is newer than the release date of the specific Chrysler iPod Interface Cable NOR any earlier iPod/iPhone that has had its firmware upgraded to a version later than the release date of the Chrysler iPod Interface Cable.
You're right, I did find quite a few posts where owners were complaining that the iPod interface cable didn't work. Maybe spending the cash on the new radio plus the price for the cable and amount of time to do this is not worth it if we don't know for sure if it'll work. Sounds like the benefits of the Lockpick are outweighing the cost of this route.

Quote:
If its a brand new radio, like most brand new electronic modules, it will have to be activated by the Dealership using their proprietary tools. I think that is anti-theft measure, if someone hi-jacks a truck load of parts, they'll don't work, and the only way to make sure they work is too have a dealer activate it with a tool that checks a data base over the internet and would be able to tell the module was stolen.
I agree, it is "brand new" so more than likely it will require dealer programming which is about another $60 in my area.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated. I think I've made my decision and would rather go the Lockpick route to enable the iPod interface plus a few added bonuses. On the other hand, if someone is looking for a brand new MyGig radio from a 2010 Commander for $125 I can connect you to the person that's selling it.

Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, and one last one, for the "MyGig" stereo's, there is an anti-priracy feature, all the music you've uploaded and stored on a "MyGig" stereo can NOT be downloaded again by the owner/user. The Dealer can download the music and move it to another Chrysler Stereo, but will NOT give you a copy of what is on the stereo.
That makes sense, similar to an iPod. On that note, we can't copy iTunes music to our MyGig radios, correct? Unless it's in an MP3 or WAV format then it can't be done in Apples's format unless it is converted is what I understand. Bummer. Oh well.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Actually I found a way around it, BUT its NOT that Easy or Fast, I'm far from an expert and someone might have a better suggestion. As well, Apple may have changed this, so it might NOT work now.

In the past, iTunes let you burn your music to CD's. I would burn CD's of my iTunes music and then go and rip the CD's to MP3's with Windows Media Player, the new tracks lost the copyright protection and appeared no different than anyother ripped MP3. Of course the tracks didn't have any MP3 Tagging either, but I used a free application off the internet to edit the tags on the mp3 files. Of course this all takes time and its NOT to bad if you're dealing with a few dozen songs, but if you have hundreds of songs, this might NOT be worth the time it takes.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Points: 7,723, Level: 58 Points: 7,723, Level: 58 Points: 7,723, Level: 58
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 207800
Garage
I think if both units are high speed Bus connection, they should be interchangeable. If you're going from low to a high speed Bus, then the LockPick has to be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
ipod , mygig , navigation , rer , uconnect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in