aftermarket gps - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,038, Level: 27 Points: 2,038, Level: 27 Points: 2,038, Level: 27
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

aftermarket gps

Hi i just ordered an eclipse navigation for my commander and had a few questions.
1. where is everyone mounting there gps antenna?
2. does anyone know how to bypass the eclipse navigation so you can use it why moving?
thanks larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Points: 1,389, Level: 20 Points: 1,389, Level: 20 Points: 1,389, Level: 20
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

I mounted my gps antenna under the front plastic piece on the luggage rack and if you ground the wire that is labeled park it will allow you to do everything without being in park.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Mounted my gps antenna in the middle of the dash next to the light sensor, no reception issues yet..you can kinda see it in the pic....

for the hack, im not sure, for the pioneer's, you had to ground the parking brake wire and also swap and ground one other wire in the plug..not sure about eclipse..it may just be the parking brake wire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

In my Kenwood HD GPS all you did was ground the parking (green) wire from the HU.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please

06 Commander Sport 4.7L * 28T package * Dark Khaki
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

As a caution to others who may read this thread:

WAIT before grounding ANY parking wires. If you have an Eclipse and have done this you may be ok. Park wires for various units (for instance on Alpines) need a pulse signal sent to them. I have seen plenty of Kenwoods and Pioneers with gyro sensors come back with shot brains because of this. Sometimes you will need a relay, sometimes you have to reconfigure the actual pin placement on the wiring harness.
What Eclipse Model do you have? I have the Eclipse 5510 and I put the park wire on a grounded switch (it is illegal to drive with this feature enabled, so I have a hidden switch to turn it off incase I get pulled over. Also if you get in an accident with a bypassed unit it is automatically your fault in Indiana).

Almost all of the 2007 - 2008 Model Double Din Ecplise nav units can ground the park wire, yet if you have the unit with the removable Tom Tom there is other things you may need to do.

Aaron's 2006 Commander 4.7 V8 QT-II:
---
---

--

Last edited by BoilerCommander; 12-11-2007 at 08:30 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM

Very few models have the pulse signal. I know all new Alpine's have them. Then you have to go out and buy the adapter because of the stupid foot brake thing. As for fault if one is on - that's incorrect. You'll get cited, but it is not automatically your fault if you have one on. It will lead a LEO to say that it may have had something to do with your distraction, though.

Please

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin
As for fault if one is on - that's incorrect. You'll get cited, but it is not automatically your fault if you have one on. It will lead a LEO to say that it may have had something to do with your distraction, though.

That is why I said in Indiana. It is actually a clause here with Insurance companies. This ranges from "fault" to deference of coverage. If the company finds that the unit was not installed properly (ie the parking brake wire was not installed) then they have all they need to decline coverage. If another person hits you and upon damage inspection they find a bypassed video source in view of the driver, then that company will default insurance back to your company. The same is true in theft. Insurance companies send us vehicles all the time and if there is a theft in any form of video source we have to look and see if there are any signs of a parking brake wire. If not, they do not grant that individual a replacement product or coverage.

Again this is Indiana. Our northerly neighbors have no fault insurance in Michigan.

Also, for pulse signals you only need a switch and a push button valet switch, a ground source, and an accessory signal. The Pioneer Gyro sensor models sometimes need complete "hacking", while others have a tab you can pull that reads "Removal of this tab voids the warranty" which just seizes the gyro capabilities.

Either way to each his own, and nothing stops anyone.

---
---

--

Last edited by BoilerCommander; 12-11-2007 at 12:21 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAx2
That is why I said in Indiana. It is actually a clause here with Insurance companies.
I'm an insurance adjuster. The policy language cannot, by law, legislate any kind of criminal fault. An insurance policy is a civil contract of adhesion.

Quote:
This ranges from "fault" to deference of coverage. If the company finds that the unit was not installed properly (ie the parking brake wire was not installed) then they have all they need to decline coverage.
That would be a declination of coverage, not a finding of fault.

Quote:
If another person hits you and upon damage inspection they find a bypassed video source in view of the driver, then that company will default insurance back to your company.
I'm not sure who you are getting your insurance information from, but that is wholly incorrect.

Quote:
The same is true in theft. Insurance companies send us vehicles all the time and if there is a theft in any form of video source we have to look and see if there are any signs of a parking brake wire. If not, they do not grant that individual a replacement product or coverage.
I just looked over a standard policy that is widly used in Indiana. there is no such language.

Quote:
Again this is Indiana. Our northerly neighbors have no fault insurance in Michigan.
No 'fault insurance' is totally different than an exclusion. You're talking about a type of legal covereage theory versus just a paragraph of words in a policy.

If you have comprehensive coverage endorsement to your policy then you will be covered for theft of anything that is physically installed on your vehicle (your HO policy may cover things in your car depending on some other stuff that is too boring to go into). Irrespective, Indiana isn't a 'no fault' state (there are currently no pure 'no fault' states) it is a modified comparitive fault state (you can collect damages as long as you are less than 50% at fault in the loss). That doesn't have anything to do with comprehensive, anyway. That is a type of legal finding.

In sum; you can collect from an Indiana policy for theft from your vehicle even if is improperlly installed in your car, as long as it is physically installed. There is no exclusion for this. Moreover, you cannot be found at fault for having an improperly wired A/V system in your car - unless that improper wiring caused you to do something that was the proximate cause of the loss, or the A/V system was the proximate cause of the loss. If you were told otherwise you were lied to or informed by someone that was very uninformed on Indiana policy law. And yes, my license has reciprocity with Indiana.

Quote:
Also, for pulse signals you only need a switch and a push button valet switch, a ground source, and an accessory signal. The Pioneer Gyro sensor models sometimes need complete "hacking", while others have a tab you can pull that reads "Removal of this tab voids the warranty" which just seizes the gyro capabilities.
Yeah, you can get all that or just by the bypass (I looked at Alpine before I got my Kenwood - I liked the HD navigation better).

"Ok.. just installed the 1004 unit in my car today too... w/o the expansion unit and instead a portable dvd player in the glovebox..

as for the brake bypass.. hook the footbrake cable up as normal... I think the wire I tapped into for this one was green w/yellow stripe (brakelight)... comming off the top of the brake pedal.
and the e-brake cable is the one you have to play with for the actual bypass.
2 ways to bypass.
-Programmed auto-switch (~$20 ebay... $50 retail) search the name TR7
-Manual switch from Radio shack (~$2) I used this method.. as I'm cheap and it works and not really a big hassle.

ok.. hooking up the manual switch... it has 3 connectors.
1 will go to the ebrake cable.. just regular tap.
1 will go to headunit as normal
and the last will be ground.
I just drilled a hole for the switch in the spot between the front cup holders... doesn't look bad at all.

so normal operation would require you to step on foot brake while you apply ebrake twice and then release foot brake...

w/ the switch... apply footbrake and flick switch twice instead. and presto.. it's unlocked.

w/ the autoswitch... I heard the bitch is to program the thing... "

Please

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,038, Level: 27 Points: 2,038, Level: 27 Points: 2,038, Level: 27
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

thanks for all the great info i got the eclipse 5510. so all you needed to do was ground the parking brake to get it to work? thanks larry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 PM

congrats on proving you have too much time on your hands. After signing installation verification agreements and working on a daily basis with Insurance adjuster, installing over one hundred in dash video sources, and verifying safe installation practices for 8 years in Indiana, not New Orleans, I think I have justification for my response. Funny that I had 7 personal messages saying how dumb your little argument is (3 that said they are insurance adjusters themselves).

I must quote the classic film Billy Madison in reply to your insanely long rambling:
Quote:
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!
It's a Jeep Commander Forum, where owners of similar vehicles come together to better each other. I would be glad to talk to you offline about this as to not waste other members time, but not really because that would be wasting mine as well.

SFD, sorry that you had to endure this simply to get an answer. I love my 5510 (did you get the bluetooth adapter?). Looking back the 6610 would have been nicer to have simply for the dual zone play. Either way the 5510 is one amazing unit!

---
---

--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in