Keyless Entry - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Keyless Entry

So this morning my wife tells me her keyless entry is not working on her 06' Commander. No biggie i figured the battery was dead in the remote. So we got a battery and replaced the old one and it still did not work. So I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Unhooked negative terminal to the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes and that did nothing. I took off the grill and checked the RF receiver, checked for pulled/bare wiring and it all looked good. Just traced the wiring harness and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. (Lord knows i could have missed something too) But this dang remote will not work. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyer View Post
So this morning my wife tells me her keyless entry is not working on her 06' Commander. No biggie i figured the battery was dead in the remote. So we got a battery and replaced the old one and it still did not work. So I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Unhooked negative terminal to the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes and that did nothing. I took off the grill and checked the RF receiver, checked for pulled/bare wiring and it all looked good. Just traced the wiring harness and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. (Lord knows i could have missed something too) But this dang remote will not work. Any suggestions?
I'm in the same boat. Has anyone been able to fix this issue? Is replacing the key the only option?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Do the other keys work? Is it the Fobik Key System or the older xpdr key that has a metal blade?

Have you checked the O.M. to see if there is a procedure to program the vehicle to recognize the remote?

Later years Commanders 2010 and maybe 2009, they changed the system that programming a vehicle to a new key could only been done by the Dealer, I'm pretty sure that was the Fobik system and I think programming the vehicle to recognize the RFID chip in the FOBIK would make the vehicle automatically program the remote to it.

The procedure may be different for earlier keys and the O.M. should have a procedure if the owner can do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Do the other keys work? Is it the Fobik Key System or the older xpdr key that has a metal blade?

Have you checked the O.M. to see if there is a procedure to program the vehicle to recognize the remote?

Later years Commanders 2010 and maybe 2009, they changed the system that programming a vehicle to a new key could only been done by the Dealer, I'm pretty sure that was the Fobik system and I think programming the vehicle to recognize the RFID chip in the FOBIK would make the vehicle automatically program the remote to it.

The procedure may be different for earlier keys and the O.M. should have a procedure if the owner can do it.
Mines 2010, I have FOBIK, and it came with only one
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mine has the key with the metal blade and the triangular control panel on it. I have not seen anything in the OM about programming the keyless entry. Also the other key did work and now it is not.

Last edited by Crowyer; 09-15-2014 at 05:54 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Mines 2010, I have FOBIK, and it came with only one
That's because Chrysler and the Dealerships are taking advantage of Consumer ignorance and charging $500 for what should be a $25 replacement key.

Everyone should get two keys, and in the past, if a key got lost, the seller paid the couple of bucks to make a copy. With the Fobik, when a key gets lost, no one is willing to pay the outrageous price for replacement and the buyer ends up getting only one key.

I kept an eye out on ebay for replacement keys being sold, also got a couple of non remote keys from an online locksmith dealer (it has key blade and the plastic head is shaped like the plug for the ignition socket and has the rfid chip in the plastic head (that is much smaller with no remote in it). Called around to all the Dealerships within a reasonable drive and found one that would charge only a half hour labor to program all the keys I had collected. So putting in a little work ahead of time, I now have 6 keys that will unlock the doors, start and run the vehicle (only 3 have remotes) for $175. If I had waited until we lost the only key we got, I would be stranded and it would probably had cost me $650 to get the one new key in a reasonable amount of time.

For those about to chime in about making your own keys, in earlier Commander, yes the owner can program new keys to their vehicles themselves. In 2010 for Commanders, and earlier for other Chrysler vehicles, they removed that feature and now only the Dealer can program the keys (dealership employee's were running scams making copies with ebay keys and selling them to car thieves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyer View Post
Mine has the key with the metal blade and the triangular control panel on it. I have not seen anything in the OM about programming the keyless entry. Also the other key did work and now it is not.
Hmmmm, its been a while since I went through the O.M. and maybe I read it from another source, or I may be confusing the procedures for another vehicle.

Other vehicles have a procedure that you can do yourself to program a remote to the vehicle.

Often vehicles with xpdr or rfid keys, that have to have the vehicle program itself to the key, this will also pair the remote to it in the process.

Some xpdr keys, have one xpdr code, and when you make copies of the key, you have to program the key to clone the original xpdr code.

I'm NOT sure on the Commander's metal blade keys, are they unique codes specific to the key, OR are they clonable codes for a unique code specific to the vehicle?

The Fobik key is RFID chipped, each key has its own unique code, the vehicle programs itself to recognize the unique code as a valid key to allow it to start the car. It would then program itself to the remote as well, so I think going through the key copying procedure would pair the remote to the vehicle. If you've got a 2010, you'd probably have to have the dealer do it for you. Once a key as been programmed to be recognized by a vehicle, it can never be re-used for another vehicle. I don't know how they do that, I doubt it as a database tracking thing, because that would only work if the dealer programmed the key to make the entry into the database, and earlier Commanders could make copies without the dealer, maybe the chip has some sort of ability to set and store a flag bit within it, to indicate it has been programmed to another vehicle.

As well, its very possible the remote electronics burned out. They go through a pretty rough life and get dirt, grime and stuff spilled on them, its NOT hard to imagine something worked its way past the rubber buttons and got on the circuit board and shorted the remote portion. You could look on ebay and see if someone is selling the electronic board, snap your key apart and replace the electronic guts inside it. Then pair it to the vehicle. As well, you get some electric cleaner and spray it inside and see if that brings it back to life.

The Fobik, the RFID chip is NOT on the circuit board for the remote, its a little chip fitted in a slot in the plug head all by itself.

The earlier blade keys, I'm NOT sure, I think the xpdr chip is in a slot somewhere on the head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok so believe it or not my wife comes home today and the keyless entry is working just fine. So I have no clue. I went out and tested it and everything is ok. Maybe she programed it somehow? Maybe the board made the right contact? I don't know. But it works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in