Have you seen this? New Aftermarket DVD Nav Radio, OEM Look - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Have you seen this? New Aftermarket DVD Nav Radio, OEM Look

I came across this today on YouTube while looking for more Commander videos. Have you guys seen this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osY7FMdnsEE

Looks interesting and I like that you can do Bluetooth audio streaming along with controlling your iPod/iPhone when connected to the radio. Also has a tons more stuff that it can do. The only thing that isn't clear is that how will you upgrade the maps? Just thought I'd share this. What do you think?

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32 Points: 2,779, Level: 32
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Interesting. Looks like they have a couple options available for XKs.

http://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car-d..._make_jeep=342

2006 XK Limited 5.7l. Inferno Red. QDII.
Gone: '12 JKR, '06 LJ Rubi, '06 WK, '04 TJ, '97 ZJ, '95 YJ
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Oh yeah, I didn't see the others. Interesting. To be honest, such head unit should've been made earlier in the game considering the amount of technology that is available in smartphones nowadays. This is definitely a step in the right direction for aftermarket radios. Pioneer has been making some nice units but still isn't all-inclusive like this one. I wonder what the quality is like.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Points: 647, Level: 12 Points: 647, Level: 12 Points: 647, Level: 12
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

This is interesting.

Local law is now 100% hands free here in Austin, so I'm looking for something I can use like this.

I like the idea of a direct replacement but I'm also not sure what kind of quality this is going to be.
Then again, I assume most radios are now made overseas.

I wonder if this can work with the newer I phones?

Here is another one I found:
http://www.oemcardvdplayer.com/jeep-...bluetooth.html

QTII 4.7 PX8
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

These features are available in many, many aftermarket radios.

But, the Commander's (and all Chrysler Vehicles) do NOT directly fit Double DIN radio's, you have to chop up the dash to get them to fit. So this offering that looks like it is direct swap with no modification is very appealing.

As far as smartphones. I got an aftermarket radio that is suppose to connect to several smartphones and have all sorts of features, including porting the NAV over to show on the screen. These things are NOT ready for prime time, I was sorely disappointed with it and when I upgraded phones, the radio doesn't support my new phone. Aftermarket and OEM radios are NOT getting firmware updates to update and support the latest consumer electronics, so what ever you buy the features will probably go unused shortly.

What does work well with all the aftermarket radios and I'm sure these units you're talking about as well, is the Bluetooth.

The latest Bluetooth standards are great, and both radios and smartphones support it well and backwards and forwards compatibility. So the streaming and controlling audio features of the phone, Pandora, etc, the hands free all work great, and will work just as well with other phones or upgraded phones, including iPhone.

In fact my teenage son drives around our old mini-van, I got him a $100 single DIN JVC head unit, that has the latest Bluetooth standard. He loves it, he just manages his music from his phone, hops in the car and starts playing his music over the speakers from his phone.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I went out and got a Clarion NX 501; which does the following

1 - Connects via bluetooth to my iPhone ( worked w/ the 4,5, and my 6 now )
2 - Backup cam input
3 - Bluetooth via the speakers for calls
4 - Yearly map and FW updates
5 - Works with the PAC Auto box so you can have dvd unlocked up front, rev cam when you change to reverse
6 - Bluetooth stream of music and apps ( i can even open safari and stream youtube videos ).

I ended up having to get a new dash ( mine was a stock, so the opening was small ). Got it on EBAY for like $100. I just don't have steering wheel controls, so IDK if they would have worked -
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nserafini View Post
...I just don't have steering wheel controls, so IDK if they would have worked -
That statement is confusing?

Are you saying your vehicle has steering wheel controls, they don't work with the new aftermarket radio?

-OR-

Are you saying your vehicle does NOT have steering wheel controls, thus your confused that you might be missing something?

If your vehicle actually has steering wheel controls, they communicate with the Head Unit through the CAN bus. The aftermarket radio does NOT use the CAN bus. But there are aftermarket CAN bus translators for aftermarket radios. You buy one of these little units and splice them into the harness between the radio and the vehicle connectors, and they will plug into the power supply of the radio and the remote control jacks of the aftermarket radio. Your steering wheel controls should work, (you can even program them if you want) and you'll even get the old delayed shut off like the factory radio.

If you have a factory amp, these things are mandatory, because the factory amp is controlled by the CAN bus and that is the only way to get the aftermarket head unit to control the factory amp.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I read he does not have controls, and IDK(I don't know) if they work, since I don't have them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
I read he does not have controls, and IDK(I don't know) if they work, since I don't have them.
This is correct. The physical wheel DOES NOT have the audio controls I have seen on other commanders.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Points: 713, Level: 14 Points: 713, Level: 14 Points: 713, Level: 14
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

I'm a little late to the game on this thread but any options for 2006 Limited's with steering wheel controls? I just can not bring my self to spend $350.00 plus repair the junk OEM unit or spend $500.00 plus to buy a reconditioned OEM unit.

Like others I don't want to cut up my dash. Looking for plug and play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in