Ipod and the commander? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,050, Level: 27 Points: 2,050, Level: 27 Points: 2,050, Level: 27
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ipod and the commander?

Anyone here use the Ipod for their commander? Any quams with it?

I know I use the A/V to get my IPOD to "integrate" On the other hand, it's not so reliable. According to the manual, it's supposed to initiate the VES if it sense that the Audio L/R are being used (i.e. IPOD) however, sometimes it doesn't detect right away. GRRR....

Anyone else have this type of experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Points: 2,025, Level: 27 Points: 2,025, Level: 27 Points: 2,025, Level: 27
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%

Re: Ipod and the commander?

We use our iPOD through the A/V inputs all the time. We had the same problem detecting the Auxillary signal. Before you start the Jeep, turn on the iPod with a song selection playing, connect the iPod to the A/V inputs and then start the Jeep. After a few seconds press the Mode button and it should pick up the Auxillary signal. It works everytime, almost
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

I loose A/V connection at times while moving as well. Starting it usually is not the issue. On the move, I have to do a series of plugging, unplugging, stop/starting the ipod to get it to detect again. I don't know...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Points: 2,225, Level: 28 Points: 2,225, Level: 28 Points: 2,225, Level: 28
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Dumb question as a new Commander owner.....tried to have the dealer install the Ipod adaptor and doesnt work. What exactly is the A/V and what do I need to use my Ipod in the Commander? I currently used the Cassette adapter for my Saab with the cigarette lighter charger. Assume that the same setup works in the jeep other than using a differetn patch cord to go to the AUX input? Thanks for indulging my rookie questions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Just a bit of information:

There are a few ways to connect an ipod or mp3 device into a vehicle.

1. FM transmitter
2. Casette Adapter
3. Aux Input
4. A/V

FM Transmitter:
An fm transmitter basically uses fm stations. One that is not occupied. It's usually a devices that attaches to your ipod and you just have to tune into the proper station on the vehicles tuner and ipod device. The only problem with this is that you won't always get a clear signal. Dependant upon where you live, congested stations, etc.

Casette Adapter:
Better than FM transmitter but becoming more and more limited in vehicles because tapes are soon to be obselete. Vehicles that still has this, it's an option to use.

Aux Input:
Some vehicles receiver have an aux input. You can usually purchase the proper wire'd connection to connect directly into your receiver which is better than both casette and Fm transmitter considering that it a direct connection.

A/V Input
This essentially is not really something that is usually available in vehicles unless the vehicle is equipped with some sort of DVD playing devices. VES, for instance on the Jeep commander. It's exactly what you would find on your TV, Home stereo's and receivers. Basically you would be applying the same thing in your vehicle. You buy the proper cable and there you go.

The FUTURE
Basically to sum it up, as we move further in technological advances, more and more is becoming incorporated into the vehicle. There are "hard wired" ipod installations that can be done in vehicles nowadays which can be a do-it yourself method or have it professionally installed. Depending on the devices, it will determine how it would work in the vehicle.

There are also bluetooth devices that will allow connection wireless. It is becoming more of a widespread that an IPOD is becoming part of people's lives and why not bring it along with your ride.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

Do you need the DVD entertainment package to use the A/V method? I have the GPS nav radio and I was wondering if the connections were avaiable in the back of the unit. I have been using the mp3 CD feature which works pretty well but if there is a connection I would use my iPod. I know that some commanders have the aux jack in the front but I was wondering if the Nav unit had a connection in the back. Thanks for your help!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Well, I think if you didn't have the GPS radio unit, there is an aux input. I'm not really sure for I also have the GPS radio unit. I don't know if there is also a way in the rear to do that.

On the other hand, the A/V connection is on the VES unit and I would say you would need the unit in order to go that method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in