Fortin remote starter install - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17 Points: 1,037, Level: 17
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fortin remote starter install

FORTIN REMOTE STARTER INSTALL (key fob only)
Tools needed: wire strippers, electrical tape, zip ties, 18 gage wire butt connectors, 3 inch long torx 20 screw driver

- order fortin remote start from here: http://www.mypushcart.com/Remote-Start-Table-Jeep.htm (note I ordered the ‘add-on’ that uses existing key fob pressing lock x3 to remote start)
- Once ordered and received in the mail open up and find the t-harness and white 20 pin connector harness. Connect the first yellow wire (pin 1) from the 20 pin connector to the loose yellow wire on the t – harness (note: I did this using a butt connector and electrical tap)
**NOTE: do not cut any wires on the T- harness. It is not necessary!!**
- Go to your jeep and lower the kick panel below the steering wheel. Remove lower steering wheel column cover by removing 3 torx screws.
- Follow the following you tube video to install t-harness and program fortin remote starter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkTaGIVIwk (note: the clip to remove the ignition wire harness is at the top. Press down and slide towards engine)
- Zip tie wires and unit under the dash. I zip tied it to the metal vertical bar next to the ignition.
- Re-install lower steering wheel column cover and put 3 screws back in
- put back kick panel

Last edited by nighowl2000; 12-27-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

nighowl:
Can you tell me how it has been working for you?
I purchased the kit that MyPushcart.com showed for my '06 Limited, and it's so far a turd.
It's got two different modules, the "EVO" and the "DS1", I giess one is the starter and the other is a bypass.

My real issue (other than it working very, very sporadically) is that when it DOES work.... it doesn't let the heater / defroster run. so what the hell's the point in the remote-start?

do you have this same problem?
what year do you have?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

maytag whats the manufacturing date of your truck?if its like mine (2005) that's an early model witch sometimes canbus protocols are different from the later 2006 + models.i had the fortin evo ch5 with a zenesis alarm starter combo and most of the time it woudnt work so I opted for a idatalink ads al ca ch5 bypass module with a viper 5901 alarm starter combo and never had a problem again and its been it the truck for 4 years now.i had a problem once after all that with a 2007 dodge caliber 2.0l again with a fortin bypass module most of the time the starter would not work so I ended up directly at fortin since im at around 50miles from them and spent a day with the 2 guys desining their products I was a guinia pig since they had never encountered that problem before.they had no one to work on the car so I was their mecanics for the day after I explained that I had my own shop and I install remote starter too plus I was an electronics amateur that I work with pcb fabrication and microcontrollers.so we worked on the car the whole day to find out that even tho the car was built in 2006 canbus protocols where of a 2008 and not 2007 so after reprogramming the module never had a problem since. so I would suggest you try programming your evo module for a 2005 grand Cherokee same engine since our truck was not made for 2005 or try programming it for a 2007 commander if that doesn't work then you will have to go with idatalink ads al ca ch5
hope that helps!

2006 commander limited 5.7 hemi silver loaded and now with hid's hi low and fogs,now with viper 5901 alarm starter combo and idatalink ads al ca ch5,yokohama geolandar I/T GO72

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Thanks, H311. I'll try it!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Points: 8,551, Level: 62 Points: 8,551, Level: 62 Points: 8,551, Level: 62
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

hey man i know this has been a while but what year is your commander? i have a 2006 and the instruction say i need to wire up 4 other wires. your install was so much simpler. I might send this thing back

I'm #TheFitNewYorker...... who are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in