Dash Lights - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,758, Level: 24 Points: 1,758, Level: 24 Points: 1,758, Level: 24
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dash Lights

I have a 2006 XK which is starting to have some of the dash lights go dim and go out. I know this is a common thing with the WKs and XKs. I have dual climate control and half of it is more dim then the other. Also I just noticed the driver side heated seat button does not light up anymore. Not a huge issue, but since the rest of the car is in such great shape I would like the interior to seem that way. Is there a way to replace the bulbs or do I need to find a way to get new buttons and climate controls? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Are you from Uwharrie NC? I believe you have to solder the new bulbs in. I'm trying to find the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Here are some threads with some info

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...8&postcount=35

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...41&postcount=7

Stop by and like the page

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I have the very same issue with the buttons on my dash. My 2007 has almost 96k on the odometer and the whole lower row of buttons except for just 1 is out, and on the row above the heater controls same thing...all but 1 out. Fortunately the heater ones are all working. It looks like about 10 are burnt out.

The two links above do show how to replace the bulbs on the heater board, so hopefully the upper row and lower row are just as simple to remove the covers and solder on new bulbs.

I see Radio Shack bulbs are suggested ..Is one prefered over the other?
RadioShack 272-1092 (12V, 60mA, Wire terminal base) OR
RadioShack 272-1154 (12v, 50mA, Bi-Pin lamp)

I also watched a video today where a guy swapped in Eiko 2162 14v .1A/T1-3/4 Wire Term Lamp Light Bulbs. I'm not sure if thats a good way to go or not. I believe they are all .75 watt bulbs

However does anyone know the exact bulb that Jeep used from factory? It would be great to use the exact spec bulb, to ensure the brightness is consistent. Unless that's already figured in with the 2 options suggested in the threads. Its probably worth just doing all of them while its apart. (upper and lower row). I repaired my wide screen computer monitor last year and it wasn't that bad soldering in capacitors. It was a little intimidating at first (I'm not the sharpest knife when it comes to electrical), but overall pretty easy. The hardest part was verifying the exact specs for the repair parts.

Last edited by BBCBIRD; 02-20-2015 at 10:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I ended up picking up a a bunch of bulbs today at Radio Shack.RadioShack 272-1154 (12v, 50mA, Bi-Pin lamp)Upon arrival at the RadioShack...I saw they were going out of business and closing all their local retail stores tomorrow. At least where I live in south east PA.
So after hitting 3 different stores in a 95% blow out frenzy, I managed to get 14 bulbs total for just .17 cents a piece. That's a great deal over about $2.50 each at regular prices. I kinda wanted the 272-1092 (12V, 60mA, Wire terminal base) but they were all gone already.

I now have my dash panel out and it looks like all the factory bulbs have a bluish green varnish over them to produce a greenish light. The Radio Shack bulbs are clear, so I initially wondered if I could coat them with something like a colored sharpee marker or something to make them colored blueish/green vs just clear?

Then I realized that they were just very small rubber boots that slip over the bulbs to give them color. I managed to remove all of them and replace them on my new bulbs. I tore one boot slighty removing it. I realized its better to remove the old bulbs from the square base first, then gently roll the boot off. Its a bugger removing the bulb bases and it took about 10 min to realize how to do it on the first one. After that it was pretty simple, just tedious and time consuming.
It took me a little over 5 hours tonight to replace all the bulbs except for one. The bulb that is positioned under the automatic pedal adjuster was just too much of a pain to remove. First you have to unsolder the switch which sits on top of it. You would have to use a copper wick to remove all the solder on 6 points of contact on the board. I started to do it but then decided maybe I'll do it if any other bulbs go in the future. I haver no reason to move my pedal, especially in the dark so I eliminate about an hour of additional time on the project. Tomorrow I need to reinstall the panel and hope that everything works as it should.

Last edited by BBCBIRD; 02-21-2015 at 11:29 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Points: 1,408, Level: 21 Points: 1,408, Level: 21 Points: 1,408, Level: 21
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 260000
Bump... on a similar note i have the illumination going on the Heating/AC and below the radio for some reason. Has anyone been successful finding and changing out the suspect bulbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in