Anyone have pics of how to take key fob apart? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8 Points: 446, Level: 8
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Anyone have pics of how to take key fob apart?

Was curious as to how people take the key fob apart? Ive seen vids on other key fobs but mine only has the back access door/panel on it. I want to check the underneath the buttons but I cant access them. I have changed the battery but that was a pain in itself to get out of the FOB. I've read how some of you have taken the FOB apart to check the connections on the circuit. Not sure if the fobs are different from model year to model year. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Yes, the Commander has several different key options, according to the trim level of the vehicle and they changed over the years as well.

It will help if you can post a picture of the key or describe it? Is the key fob, just a that, a fob, NO actual key which is separate? Or it is a key fob that is integral with the actual key blade, or is it the RKE key that is a fob with a plastic block on the end that is stuck into the ignition switch to turn it?

RKE keys and key fobs have an RFID chip in them, the RFID chip does NOT require any power, it is energized from RF energy emitted from the ignition switch node. That is why your RKE key can have a dead battery or damaged circuit board and the keyless entry/remote control buttons will NOT work, but the key will start and run the vehicle.

Often the RFID chip is glued into the RKE key or key fob, it appears to me the halves are glued together (I could be wrong), but taking those apart may require breaking or cutting the key body.

Look through your owner manual, there may be a procedure to reprogram the key fob to the vehicle. Usually for the RKE keys, the key programming procedures also programs the wireless entry/remote portion of the key to the vehicle as well. Like I said before the RKE key is really two in one, the RFID chip is the key part that starts the vehicle, the circuit board, battery and buttons is the remote part, so one could be damaged or just loose programming and the other work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ill check that out. I have the FOB without the key...and I read somewhere about the chip in it that doesnt use battery to start the car. I was just curious cause my doors sometimes unlock sometimes dont...via remote. and I have to use manual key in drivers door (no biggie) but Ive noticed that after I lock my car and walk away my directional keep flashing in intermittant every 10 sec or so but eventually stop. When I come back to XK they start flashing again.

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchXK View Post
Thanks Ill check that out. I have the FOB without the key...and I read somewhere about the chip in it that doesnt use battery to start the car. I was just curious cause my doors sometimes unlock sometimes dont...via remote. and I have to use manual key in drivers door (no biggie) but Ive noticed that after I lock my car and walk away my directional keep flashing in intermittant every 10 sec or so but eventually stop. When I come back to XK they start flashing again.
Sound like you have the RKE key, i.e. no key blade, but you have to stick the plastic block end into the ignition switch and turn it?

How old is the vehicle's car battery, and do you have any other signs of a failing battery, like hard starting or it going dead on cold mornings?

Battery problems will make the car electronics go crazy, wipers or flashers go on when they were NOT switched on. Door locks NOT unlocking, the car NOT reacting to the remote, etc.

Does only one key do it? Or do you only have one key?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I have one key only and yes it's bladeless . As far as the battery idk....car starts fine ....I will have to ask the dealer if the changed. I hope it's newer as its a molar battery lol...thinking now original battery...but that can't be batteries shouldn't last 7 years lol. Dealer ordered another fob for me and is paying for it to be programmed by jeep dealer. Today I was locked out of XK for 5minutes key fob wouldn't unlock anything or even remote start XK. I tried the hard key and the lock wouldn't work. Kept trying fob and hard key finally hard worked. Got home tried key fob after locking door thru door switch and then tried fob unlock and worked..it's random idk

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 AM

Yea, maybe something is failing in the RKE key.

Out of curiosity, how much did the dealer charge for the new RKE key. They list for at least $360 and dealers often charge more.

I've seen claims that Chrysler only pays $7 a unit from the supplier, the fact you can find them on ebay often for $25-$50 would support that. If you go the eBay route, make sure it is a brand new key (NOT only stating it is brand new, the pictures show that it is in a sealed plastic baggie). The keys can NOT be re-used, once programmed to a vehicle it can never be programmed for another, so people selling used keys are just ripping people off. Also make sure it is the correct part number for your vehicle, many of the RKE keys look alike, but NOT all work with all vehicles.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

They bought it off ebay for around that price. And are sending me to Jeep dealer to get programmed and they are billing him. IDK how much. The Saccos Locksmith here said they would be cheaper and faster than the Jeep dealer. They have started to make a key FOB board with the different types of FOBS as they are finding more and more dealers and people need these keys made.

And as far as correct model never new that they compared the key I had to what was shown in picture. It was a new one. Apparently they've had to do this before but you would think knowing that the car came with one key when they bought it from the dealer auction they would've had key made right then and there lol. So if its not right key I will have them call the dealer I got XK from and get permission to get the right key. Just a hassell all around lol but on the positive side I haven't paid a cent for any of this. Hopefully this will be the last of it.

2008 Commander Sport
3.7L 4X4
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM

Checking by part number is too make absolutely sure.

I believe the way the RKE keys divide up is one key will cover several models but NOT all models. And different keys for other models might look just like the other keys that don't work for it. If you just picked out a key that looked like yours, it might NOT work, it would only work with some other Dodge models, etc.

So, if the key looks like your's and the auction stated it was for your year Jeep Commander, then I'm sure you'll be ok, unless they were lying.

The way I understand the RKE key system to work, there is a Wireless ignition module (WIN) that talks to the RFID chip and identifies it, it stores its identifier and the identifier for all keys its programmed to work with. The way to program it is with the dealer wiTech tool that makes a record of it over the internet to the Corporate database. I'm NOT sure if there is something in the RFID chip that gets set by the programming process, but they make it clear once a RKE key has been programmed for a vehicle, it can never be programmed again for another vehicle.

In 2010 Chrysler eliminated the feature for the owner to make new keys themselves. Prior to that, and you have a 2008, the owner can program a new key themselves if they have two keys already programmed to the car. The procedure is in the O.M.

So, once you get this key made, I would pick up another one off ebay soon and use the owner key copy feature to make a third key. That way if you loose a key in the future, you'll still have two to make another copy and avoid all this hassle again.

And one more thing to keep in mind, usually there is a limit to the number of keys that can be made for the vehicle, i.e. it can't store more than a certain number of keys and usually you can't erase the old keys (although I've heard they may have changed that). But its usually 7 keys that you can make, if you're into needing your 8th key is when you might run into a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in