Passenger Seat Airbag "Weight Sensor" calibration -why? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,503, Level: 42 Points: 4,503, Level: 42 Points: 4,503, Level: 42
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Passenger Seat Airbag "Weight Sensor" calibration -why?

Does anyone understand why these sensors require calibration in order to get the red "airbag inoperative" light to go out? I have paid two different dealers $90 each to "calibrate" these sensors only to have the light come back on within a week. Without calibration, the light comes on within 100 feet of leaving my house. I understand the premise of the e tire system, but am looking specifically why the sensors- presumably solid state, logic based systems, need calibrated or even change at all from factory settings. It seems to me that a weight measurement using logic based solid state sensors only would change due to the uncontrollable variable of seat wear.

The problem I have with that is I have an 06 Commander with 94k on it that RARELY has had passengers in that seat at all.

Also, the more I read of this problem that I and others have it seems clear to me that Jeep is looking to get sued if owners constantly have problems with a faulty design that renders airbag systems inoperable- it is not the impetus of the consumer to constantly repair or maintain a poor design of a federally mandated system.

Thanks!

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Both my driver side and passenger side seat belt light displayed after startup. The seat belt sensor within the seat belt receptacle (aka seat belt tensioner) was bad.

I ultimately replaced both seat belt tensioners which resolved this issue.

For you, once the light comes on, push and hold the seat belt buckle into the receptacle. If the light goes off, then the receptacle has to be replaced.

I'm not sure about calibration since mine never had that issue.

Good luck.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I can push down on the passenger seat with about ten pounds of force and the light goes off for about 10-20 minutes. This seems way too sensitive to me. If anyone has answers, please share.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Did the dealership determine that calibration is necessary to eliminate the seat belt light? If so, they should be responsible to fix your problem.

If you told them to calibrate, then you may have to got back and pay them around $100 to diagnose the problem. This is if no one from this forum can help you out.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

This is NOT a seat belt light, it is the Airbag Inoperative light.

* Yes, both dealers quickly apprised that fix would be to calibrate the seat, as if this is an easy and quick resolution for them. They were wrong.

Does anyone know how these seats and sensors work?

Does anyone know if they can be calibrated via ODBC interface?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
I have twice had issues with my airbag inop light coming on. Both times the kids had kicked the connector under the passenger seat.

Unplugging and replugging that connection has fixed this for me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
I have twice had issues with my airbag inop light coming on. Both times the kids had kicked the connector under the passenger seat.

Unplugging and replugging that connection has fixed this for me.
I had an 09 Mercury Mountaineer that had the same problem, with the same fix.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I've got to rant a little, media and the gov told the auto industry that they were greedy selfish ba$stards for NOT putting airbags in every car. The auto industry said the technology is NOT ready, and air bags can create as many injuries as they save people form injury, etc, etc. The gov mandated air bags. Then parents putting babies in car seats in the front seat, and bumping bumpers in the parking lot resulted in several babies being decapitated/killed by the airbag going off, as well as injuries to adults also. So the media and gov, instead of saying "I guess you're right, you told us so", they said the industry was greedy selfish ba$tards for making less than perfect air bags. So a whole new generation of airbags with new standards were mandated. Part of that standard is determining if an adult is seated in the front seat and turn the passenger side airbag on/off accordingly. I.e. why you have a weight sensor that needs to be calibrated.

Also part of the new standard was demanding six sigma reliability of the system, that resulted in the only way to meet those standards with statistical analysis incorporated into the design with incredibly exacting self-monitoring and servicing way beyond a typical consumer vehicle. Things like gold plated connectors, shorting bar connectors, expensive calibration and certification processes, built in self tests that fail systems for minor variations in circuit resistance that naturally may occur from age, etc.

Half the time your air bag inop light goes on, its for a bogus test that would indicate your air bag system has measure some extreme slight degradation and the level of confidence may only be 98.7% instead of 98.8% reliability. Or it might NOT be working at all because of a serious problem was detected, you just don't know until you read the codes. Anyone want to wonder why new cars are so expensive now-a-days?

OK rant over.

Its already been mentioned, the seat weight sensor should NOT need to be recalibrated constantly, there is a problem and the dealer diagnosed it wrong. Unless you diagnosed it yourself and specifically instructed the dealer to just calibrate the seat sensor everytime, they didn't diagnosed it properly. It might still be the seat sensor, but a bad sensor or maybe the sensor came unmounted, or something in your seat broke, did they even check?

Doing yourself through the OBD port? Sorry, airbags are outside the mandated OBDII codes and protocols, so the manufacturer keeps those protocols and tools proprietary and makes it extraordinarily difficult for DIY'er or independent shops to access that. Perhaps a big independent shop in your area has invested the 10's of thousands of dollars for hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, to have the privilege of accessing the protocols to read the codes and do any procedures or calibrations. Most DIY'er do NOT have the money to pay the $20k for the dealer tool, that still won't be totally capable, because many procedures require logging into a Corporate HQ database that only dealers have access. (Oh, the $20k tool, its just a laptop with a Cable, that has software that has the secret protocols, the dealer doesn't have to pay $20k, you, I and independent shops have to pay $20k for it).

There are several "reversed engineer" tools out there, I have autoenginuity, the cost $500-$1000, have limited ability but a lot more than most OBD tools. My autoenginuity can read the codes for later airbag systems, NOT sure if it can calibrate a seat sensor, and it can only do it for Chrysler based vehicles. I have to pay extra for each manufacturer I want to add the ability to talk to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

My light comes as well especially if I move the passenger seat. I just wiggle the plug and push it together and the light goes off by its self. This has worked for me every time it comes on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 AM

Hi guys. my light comes, airbag. There are two code b1b2b it row driver seat belt pretensioner circuit shorted together and b1b28 row driver seat belt pretensioner circuit low. anyone else encountered this problem? what to do?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in