2007 Commander Audiou Upgrade - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2007 Commander Audiou Upgrade

I've just bought a 2007 UK spec commander - it's fitted with what I think are all the factory options :

Sat-nav
6 disk CD/MP3
Rear DVD (VES system)
Boston Acoustics audio

The only thing it's missing is bluetooth for my phone. Sadly that is something of a necessity these days so I'm wondering what the best way to upgrade this might be. I know the later models had a bluetooth option which sounds ideal but I'm unsure if these are a direct swap, if they need an adapter kit (if such a thing exists!) or whether it just won't work at all.

If it won't work, is anyone aware of a suitable aftermarket replacement or would I be better off having a separate bluetooth kit fitted and leaving the stereo well alone?

I don't want to lose any of the current features (the kids would kill me if they lost their DVD player )

I am reasonably competent with electronics & vehicle wiring so fitting kits etc shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any advice,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
I have a 2009 low speed can bus RER installed in my 2006. You lose the 6 disk, but retain DVD and gain an upgradeable Hard Drive.

I am still working the rear VES. The RER wants to use head rest monitors and controls, where the REC has the rear console head unit to a ceiling monitor.

My only issue so far has been that I am lazy. You will have to mod the wire loom from the VES to the RER to split out the video feed to the monitor and bypass the VES head unit. Then you will need to find the power on sense line to the monitor and splice to the video feed so it turns on when there is a signal. You can buy a home AV sense box that does this without degrading video signal and quality.
Or... you can spend on the actual head rest consoles that Chrysler makes for a Jeep Commander, kind of pricey though.
You get Bluetooth, but not the ability to play music off your phone via BT.

Also buy the newest Mygig lock pick from CoastalTech. It is worth it and I love that I can use all the NAV and video stuff while I am driving. My wife can adjust our maps as I drive instead of having to stop and wait while she types it all in.

Dave

NavTeq no longer cares if your RER did not go to your jeep from factory. Just give them the VIN of your car and the will crank out a new map set and software just for you. I buy it every other year $150 well spent.

'06 Hemi Limited 4X4, 6(ish)" lift, 35" General Red Letter, 2" spacers, Mopar CAI, RER and mygig lockpick, blue Interior LEDs, stub antenna 3", Callahan Red Brake set, 6.1L SRT8 exaust headers, full custom 3" exhaust from headers back, Fastman 847 ported TB, BBK Fuel Rails, 6.1L injectors, JBA UCAs, Nitro gear 4:10, SA hidden front winch mount.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
oh yeah, you have to switch out the antenna line to the new RER. The SAT radio antenna is located under the passenger middle seat. Do not, disconnect the Sirius radio box from the car... it will act wonky for some reason if you do. Just disconnect the antenna wire and get an adapter to add an extension wire that will route to the from of the dash to connect in the back of the new RER unit. The RER uses a different style of plug for the SAT antenna which is really easy to get an adapter (I will try to find my old part list when I did it). The you will buy a separate GPS antenna for the RER ($30 on amazon for the exact one you need for the RER) and install right on top of the unit. The GPS antenna comes with the little metal mount you need to do it.
The CoastalTech MyGig Lockpick is the wire harness adapter you need to connect the old wire loom to the RER, so no cutting necessary... Yay!!!
Tons of RER adapter plates out there to make up for the smaller face from the REC system you are removing.

It will take you about 3 hours to do this if you have everything on hand when you do it. Super easy and basic hand tools needed.

Dave

'06 Hemi Limited 4X4, 6(ish)" lift, 35" General Red Letter, 2" spacers, Mopar CAI, RER and mygig lockpick, blue Interior LEDs, stub antenna 3", Callahan Red Brake set, 6.1L SRT8 exaust headers, full custom 3" exhaust from headers back, Fastman 847 ported TB, BBK Fuel Rails, 6.1L injectors, JBA UCAs, Nitro gear 4:10, SA hidden front winch mount.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

The 2007 REC Navigation unit is compatible with Bluetooth, assuming it's the same unit in export models. My 2007 has factory Bluetooth. My assumption would be that adding it to your rig would be as simple as getting the UConnect rear view mirror and plugging it into the REC. Everything else should already be in place.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you don't have factory Bluetooth? The controls are entirely on the rear view mirror and it would be easy to overlook them if you didn't know what you were looking for. I don't think there are any Bluetooth menus accessed specifically through the REC unit, though the UConnect does interface to it

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -

Last edited by Schlotzky; 04-27-2015 at 12:13 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

You know you can buy a Bluetooth hands free kit for like $25-$100 that just clips to your visor and does everything you need.

If you want a better radio, by all means go ahead and get it, just sayin, if you just need Bluetooth hands free, it can be had for a lot cheaper and easier.

Do a google search for comparisons and reviews, some are crappy as all get out and don't work good, while others work great.

Also, you're in the UK? We had someone from Europe post about the problems he was having with aftermarket stereos and bus adapters, etc.

All the things in your system are controlled over the vehicles data bus. Aftermarket stereo equipment doesn't work on the data bus, sure there are translators, but they are only for the U.S. market and using them in Europe results in unpredicted results. So sadly, if you want to go aftermarket, you have to go aftermarket on everything.

If you're looking to switch to another Chrysler OEM radio, would look into it first, if the OEM radio is NOT specifically for the UK, there may be differences that could create unexpected problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
2007 , audio , nav , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in