No POWER!! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Points: 254, Level: 5 Points: 254, Level: 5 Points: 254, Level: 5
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

No POWER!!

I have a '06 5.7l Commander. I just changed my belt tensioner (took much longer than I would have liked :P ). I went to drive it, feeling great about my accomplishment at saving a couple bills, and the ETC (electronic Throttle Control) started flashing and the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) came on solid. I had NO, I mean NO, power on the gas pedal! I limped back into my garage and didn't see anything specific. My Jeep had NO problems beforehand. The belt is on right and the tensioner seems to be working fine. I did remove the A/C coolant hose from the radiator and that spilled a bit, but I wouldn't think that could have damaged anything. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I did just reset the system and the Traction Control light went off, but the ETC light is still blinking...which seems to be the problem since pushing on the gas does NOTHING.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rgrownup View Post
....I did remove the A/C coolant hose from the radiator and that spilled a bit, but I wouldn't think that could have damaged anything. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
If you had disconnected an AC line, you would have a massive spray of high pressure refrigerant that would have rapidly cooled and created fog and ice. What coolant line did you disconnect? The Radiator itself is has just engine coolant hoses going to it. In front of the Radiator is the combination AC condenser and transmission cooler; connected to it is a pair of lines for AC and Transmission fluid. In front of that is a small power steering cooler.

The hemi has a hydraulic fan behind the radiator, lines from the PS system would run to it, and if you disconnected it, fluid would drip from it, it would be the Commanders special hybrid hydraulic/power steering fluid that you can only get from the dealer.

I thought the '06 did NOT have drive-by-wire, the throttle was connected to the pedal via a cable. Not an electronic throttle body.

The ETC warning lamp is the Lightning Bolt over the venture with the butterfly plate inside it. Is that what you saw when you say the ETC warning lamp lit?

I have had the electronic throttle body go spastic on me in the past. Usually, on an extremely cold morning, like way below freezing, and goosed to much throttle before the motor warmed up and I got all the symptoms you described. I just had to shut the engine off and restart it, and the ETC reset itself and ran fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, it was the big coolant hose I removed which leaked coolant. It is the lightning bolt warning lamp which is blinking.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Points: 31,849, Level: 100 Points: 31,849, Level: 100 Points: 31,849, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
The hemi in 06 is drive by wire.
Really really make sure belt is on correctly
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt route hemi.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	16065

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rblapham; 06-26-2015 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rgrownup View Post
I did just reset the system and the Traction Control light went off, but the ETC light is still blinking...which seems to be the problem since pushing on the gas does NOTHING.
Ok, so much for the shut it off and start it again to clear the ETC.

You need to check the stored fault codes, do the key dance to get the codes to read out.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok, this is slightly embarrassing, but I'll own it, and you'll get a good laugh! Last night I was working on the tensioner and I needed some grease to soak into the bolt overnight. In a precaution to prevent any bugs getting into my system I plugged the holes to the air intake with tissue. This morning I thought I removed it all and put everything back together. Apparently some got pushed inside the compartment and I missed it. Starting the engine caused some of it to clog the intake value to the engine. I just opened it back up, removed the tissue (which was clogged pretty well) and it started right up and everything seems fine, not sure what it would have looked like if some made it passed that valve (but I will not think of that!!). Now I am left with the original problem I was trying to fix by replacing the tensioner...maybe you all can help me with that? It started as I was driving down a steep hill (6% grade) for a few miles while towing about 3,000 lbs. I had to put the engine in 2nd gear to save my breaks and the engine was at about 4,500 for a few miles. At the next rest stop there was a high pitched noise coming from the serpentine belt area and the power steering was struggling big time when I tried to turn the wheel at low speed (below 5mph). The power steering seemed on the low side, so I stopped at a dealer and put some in. I told the guy there what happened and he said it sounded like the tensioner. Still having the same trouble, the power steering fluid is lower, but I don't see it leaking anywhere (would it be leaking into a different compartment?) When I turn the steering wheel the noise increases (kind of a whining noise). It will increase and decrease with the turning of the steering wheel. Nothing else seems to be affected except for the difficulty turning the wheel at low speed. Any ideas??? And Feel free to laugh at me

Last edited by sk8rgrownup; 06-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Good you found your problem, we all have probably something similar. Bet you won't do it again. If so then we can laugh. AS for the original problem, my thought would be the PS pump?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

That is my thought Creek. Also, the A/C has a couple times gone a little fritzy (blowing warm once and not getting very cold a couple times), so I'm hoping its not the hydraulic fan too. If I fix the PS pump and the hydraulic fan is bad too, will that ruin my new pump eventually, you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in