Swapping Head Units - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 207767
Swapping Head Units

I have a 2009 Commander, which has the low-speed bus. My current head unit it the RES (Sirius). So I have a few questions:

1. Can I upgrade to any Chrysler head unit with the low speed bus, such as the REN and RBZ?

2. Do I need a lock-pick to install the new MyGig head unit or is it primarily for upgrading to video in motion, etc.?

3. Is there a bezel necessary for this swap?

I've read a lot on it and I think I understand, but want make sure that is the case.

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6

Upgrades: K&N Filter, DRL's, Rear Handles, Curt Hitch, Steel Suspension Skid Plate, Fogs, Secure Console Cover, Bilstein 4600 Shocks (F/R), Moog Front/Rear Swaybar Links, Moog Front Swaybar Bushings, Moog Front Lower Control Arms, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Ignition Mod

Last edited by MrMustang; 07-20-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

From my understanding, which is limited so take it with a big grain or salt and take someone more knowledgeable on the subject word over mine.

The radio's are interchangeable.

They did change the bezel shape between early and later commanders. I think 2009 and later, are all rectangles, same shape for all radios.
The earlier Commanders and Grand Cherokee, had a funky shaped bezel that had two nobs on either side extend as half-circles outside of the rectangle. If you have this shaped bezel, that could be a problem.

My understanding of the CAN Bus and Lock-Pick is that all OEM radios will work with the CAN bus fine, interchangeable, no extras needed. Devices like the Lock-Pic are for fooling the can bus to watch video while moving (defeat a safety feature) or installing aftermarket radios that do NOT talk to the CAN bus. There are 3rd party devices that talk to the can bus and then signal the aftermarket radio to do what the message that came over the CAN bus indicated.

The problem you can have with CAN bus and switching to different OEM radios is the extras units/modules the OEM radio communicates with over the CAN Bus. These are things like the factory amplifier (for the premium sound system), the multi-disc CD unit or DVD player, hands free radio kit, etc. Even then, that would only be if you swap in a radio that does have the features for those items, you're talking about upgrading to a higher end radio than you have, so I doubt the higher end radio will NOT have a feature that your lower end radio does have.

Keep in mind, brand new radios will come disabled from the Dealer. You will have to go to the dealership and have them use their Witech tool connected to a corporate database to enable the radio. So you can install it yourself, but it won't turn on till you take it to the dealer. If you purchase the radio used, it will already be enabled and will work as soon as you install it.

Enabling the Siruis/XM/Satellite Radio, is done through the satellite company. Switching radios will come with a new receiver with a new ID. Any subscription or free trials will be associated with the ID of the old radio. If you have a subscription, it should just be a phone call, maybe a small switching fee. The free weekends, they work for all receivers, so if you don't have subscription you will still get the free weekend like everyone else despite getting a new radio. The only drawback is the free trials they give from time to time, they have started to drum up business to give new free trials to people that have had their car for years and the original free trial was up. They won't switch over the free trial to a new radio, it is only offered to the ID of the original radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

2WD
Thanks Mongo. You actually answered a question I had forgotten to ask, which was when a visit to the dealer was necessary when buying a head unit. I was thinking the radio had to be setup for your particular car, but now I know it is only to activate a new unit, which I don't plan to buy.

Gonna get an RBZ w/Sirius and maybe add the lockpick later, because of the camera options, etc.

Upgrades: K&N Filter, DRL's, Rear Handles, Curt Hitch, Steel Suspension Skid Plate, Fogs, Secure Console Cover, Bilstein 4600 Shocks (F/R), Moog Front/Rear Swaybar Links, Moog Front Swaybar Bushings, Moog Front Lower Control Arms, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Ignition Mod

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Points: 1,076, Level: 17 Points: 1,076, Level: 17 Points: 1,076, Level: 17
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Model year: 2010
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
I have a similar question...
This radio for sale: http://www.usedregina.com/classified...tereo_24847446
looks EXACTLY like the one in my 2010 Commander Sport. But this one has Bluetooth (mine does not).
Would this be a direct swap (I miss having Bluetooth!)?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

2WD
Thumbs up

As usual, the information I gathered from this site has been the key to getting the job done. I acquired an RBZ, which was a significant upgrade from my RES, at a cost of $200. It literally took me 15 minutes to install and I was off and running. So, I want to thank Mongo for his reply and everyone on this site for all the information that has been posted over the years.

Sorry, the pics are not great, but you get the gist.

Last edited by MrMustang; 08-04-2015 at 08:13 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Points: 1,076, Level: 17 Points: 1,076, Level: 17 Points: 1,076, Level: 17
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Model year: 2010
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
That looks super sweet dude! Me wanty!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Now, I have a new question. Has anyone installed any of the Video in Motion solutions, such as the CRUX (http://www.cruxinterfacing.com/produ...3/index.html)? Or this one here, CoastalTech (http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm)?

I couldn't find anything with a search, so I am asking here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in