Looking to swap out the stock radio in my 2007 Commander, need some help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,818, Level: 25 Points: 1,818, Level: 25 Points: 1,818, Level: 25
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Looking to swap out the stock radio in my 2007 Commander, need some help

Hello all,

I've done a ton of aftermarket radios in lots of Jeep models but never one in a Commander. I have a base 2007 model with what I believe to be the stock radio (no nav system, no CD changer, no satellite radio). The radio is black, has 6 programmable buttons, an aux jack, and a slot for a single CD. I don't think I have a factory amp but I'm not certain. How can I tell for sure? There's no badges saying I have Boston Acoustics anything. My understanding is there should be badges. The XK also does not have any radio controls on the steering wheel.

The radio I'm putting in is a single din Pioneer unit. A lot of research has led me to this dash kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IOVXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I can't find what wire harness I need, however. Do I need an antenna adapter?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,027, Level: 94 Points: 24,027, Level: 94 Points: 24,027, Level: 94
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loligator View Post
Hello all,

I've done a ton of aftermarket radios in lots of Jeep models but never one in a Commander. I have a base 2007 model with what I believe to be the stock radio (no nav system, no CD changer, no satellite radio). The radio is black, has 6 programmable buttons, an aux jack, and a slot for a single CD. I don't think I have a factory amp but I'm not certain. How can I tell for sure? There's no badges saying I have Boston Acoustics anything. My understanding is there should be badges. The XK also does not have any radio controls on the steering wheel.

The radio I'm putting in is a single din Pioneer unit. A lot of research has led me to this dash kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I can't find what wire harness I need, however. Do I need an antenna adapter?

Thanks in advance.
The only question I can really answer for you is that if you have the Boston Acoustics sound system you would most definitely have Boston Acoustics badges on the 2 door speakers.

If they are not there, you don't have the Boston Acoustics system.

As far as I know, all of the stock Commander radios are Sirius XM satellite capable, it's just a matter of if you pay for the subscription or not.

Also if you are buying a new radio/head unit, it should come with whatever wiring you need to install it. I'm not sure why you think you'd need a new harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
The only question I can really answer for you is that if you have the Boston Acoustics sound system you would most definitely have Boston Acoustics badges on the 2 door speakers.

If they are not there, you don't have the Boston Acoustics system.

As far as I know, all of the stock Commander radios are Sirius XM satellite capable, it's just a matter of if you pay for the subscription or not.

Also if you are buying a new radio/head unit, it should come with whatever wiring you need to install it. I'm not sure why you think you'd need a new harness.
any aftermarket radio i ever bought required the purchase of a separate harness so that you don't have to cut the plug from the stock wiring in the dash. it's possible i'm calling it the wrong thing. maybe it would be better to call it an adapter?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,027, Level: 94 Points: 24,027, Level: 94 Points: 24,027, Level: 94
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loligator View Post
any aftermarket radio i ever bought required the purchase of a separate harness so that you don't have to cut the plug from the stock wiring in the dash. it's possible i'm calling it the wrong thing. maybe it would be better to call it an adapter?
Maybe I was just misinterpreting what you were saying, but I see what you meant now. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to that question.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Look up your commander on crutchfield.com and select the head unit you want. When you go to check out, it will automatically select all necessary installation gear and include it for free. Often times once you consider that stuff comes free, their price is quite aggressive, but if nothing else it will show you which model number of harness adapter you need to get your install going. They also have awesome customer service if you need it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
Look up your commander on crutchfield.com and select the head unit you want. When you go to check out, it will automatically select all necessary installation gear and include it for free. Often times once you consider that stuff comes free, their price is quite aggressive, but if nothing else it will show you which model number of harness adapter you need to get your install going. They also have awesome customer service if you need it.
wish i knew about these guys before i spent all this time doing research... lol. thank you SO much for recommending them. i'll post once everything comes in and i get a chance to do the install but you're right; once they add in the dash bezel, wiring harness, and antenna adapter, it was cheaper to get everything from them. i got a nicer stereo too for a better price than what was offered on amazon. hopefully this isn't too good to be true
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

No problem. It's not too good to be true, I've done business with them many times and they are an awesome company. My other car I totally outfitted with around $1300 in aftermarket gear and a month later my car was totalled by a falling tree. After 45 days, they let me return everything with paid return shipping and a very reasonable restocking fee for the head unit since I had thrown away all original packaging and modified the harness rot my install. I was just reading a consumer reports 2015 magazine as I recall they were ranked number one or two in customer satisfaction. Really great customer-centric company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in