Backup Camera Frustration - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Angry Backup Camera Frustration

I took delivery of my Commander 3 weeks ago. I ordered it in March and had the dealer install the backup camera - at a cost of about $500 + labor. They had to cut a hole in the reargate "overhang" to install the camera, and I got the windshield-mounted monitor.

I cruised through the dealer's lot tonight and saw a new Commander with the "ParkView Camera" factory - listed at $195 on the sticker.

And the camera was integrated into the "overhang" - plus there was no monitor on the windshield (the image is integrated into the Nav screen).

I'm not happy.

I paid about 3 times more for an inferior product.

I am planning to talk to the dealership tomorrow, but any of you have other suggestions? This seems like a factory issue - heck my Commander was built less than 5 weeks ago. Should I make a big stink about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: Backup Camera Frustration

Not much you can do. There obviously has to be a cut-off line of when they start offering a new product.

By getting the add-on, you are paying for the extra screen. Although, I don't know if it is worth $300 more.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

You also have to pay the labor for the dealership to install it. It is only $195 from the factory, but it is nothing for them to add it on the assembly line. A lot more difficult when the car has allready been assembled, especially the wiring. You also have to buy the Nav unit, the stand alone add on camera works with any radio, not just the Nav unit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:10 AM
ldf
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Hi.

I would be quite mad.

Try to feel good though, that you didn't pay $4,000 for the Navigation system and the separate lcd screen/camera:

I inquired this week at a local dealership about a back up camera and was given a figure of $2,000 just to add the camera and separate screen (plus the cost of the Navigation system which they said was another $2,000 since the in stock model didn't have it) They said the only option was to have the screen mounted on the windshield which sounded weird to me (I have seen one in a Lincoln Navigator that was integrated with Nav. screen and I loved it - the camera came on when you put the car if reverse).

Then I researched it and found out the '07's will have it as an option and that it's integrated into the Nav. screen. Actually, I think that is already an option for the 2006 models. Needless to say - had I opted to fork over $4,000 for it (and gotten it on a separate lcd screen to boot) and then found out it was actually $195 + 1,200 from the factory...ughhhh! Needless to say - do your own research...and I was dealing with the manager of a very "reputable dealer" here (because the salesman had no clue about any of it) - obviously he didn't know much either and/or they were just trying to rip me off! To think that I drove 15 miles (when there is another dealership right down the block) to have my Grand Cherokee serviced at this dealership, too, for 5 years when I had it, leaves a really sour taste in my mouth - because I thought they were honest - they have lost my respect and business! Live and learn.

Personally, I would raise cane about the windshield mounted screen...they tried to tell me it was neat to be separate and on the windshield and I thought it sounded weird...make them take it out and give you the ParkView - maybe write a formal letter addressed to the owner of the dealership - but then again, I can get mean . In fact - I think I will call that manager that told me it would be $2,000 for the windshield screen/camera and $2,000 for the Navigation system and tell him exactly what I think of his dealership!

I do have a concern that the factory screen is too small to see what is behind you because the Lincoln Navigator screen that had the camera integrated into it was much bigger and you could see what was behind you amazingly well...Anyway, I am glad it is a factory option now...

One other thing - the Lincoln Navigator's Navigation system's screen tilted 3 ways so you could view it better and flipped down to insert CD's and DVD's - so, when the vehicle was in park, you could watch a movie if you wanted to - I thought that was kind of cool.

I wonder, too, do you think the cameras which are mounted on the liftgate near the liftgate handle can get stolen off of your car easily?

Are you sure the price for the ParkView is $195 (is that MSRP?)? Is the Nav. system still $1200 MSRP? Do you think the most sales people/dealerships really don't know much about upcoming features, models, addons, etc.? I found one salesman who took the time to find out the information for me and I will be buying my car '07 from him as he earned it in my mind!

What do you mean that the camera works through any radio too?

Thanks and good luck.

I can't wait to get my Commander.

P.S. Does anyone know anything about Sirius TV - I was told that was coming very soon and we can all watch TV on our LCD screens in our cars (and in our homes)??

I guess I am getting too old to keep up with all of this fast changing techno stuff!

Last edited by ldf; 06-10-2006 at 01:13 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Angry Re: Backup Camera Frustration

I'm still ticked off by all this. Compunding the matter is the fact that (thanks to this board) I KNEW the ParkView camera system was going to be available on 2007 models and that a couple of late-model 2006 owners had the image from the camera displayed on their NAV screen.

I told my sales person, the sales manager, the service manager AND the parts manager at my local dealership. They contacted DC and were told "We have no idea what you are talking about. There are no plans to integrate the camera image into the NAV unit."

Let me be clear, my dealership has been AWESOME. But even they couldn;t get any facts (or the truth) out of the factory.

My JC Limited was built on April 20th. I had the dealership install the camera (and windshield screen) because THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD GET A BACKUP CAMERA.

I took delivery on May 13th. Three weeks later my dealership gets a 2006 Limited with the camera integrated inot the liftgate AND the image integrated into the NAV unit.

I realize there needs to be a point inwhich the factory starts building models with new features, but the factory lied to the dealership and I;m stuck with an inferior (and much more expensive) product.

The dealership knows how upset and frustrated I am by all this, and are attempting to work with DC to get some straight answers.

To make matters worse, the monitor won't stay attached to the windshield, and now it just lays on the dashboard - making the camera useless.

I'm trying to be patient - this is NOT the dealer's fault.

Should I escalate the conversation to the District level?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

The back up camera integrated into the Nav scrren is not an option on the 2006, they did however goof at Jeep and print some window stickers with them listed that way and had to alert all the dealers to this. If you buy the Nav unit from Mopar to have it added on to a Jeep that didnt have one it runs about $2,300 and another $530 or $570 for the add on back up camera kit from Mopar just for the parts, then you have labor on top of that. The Nav on the 06 was still only about $1,200 when it came from the factory with it, so if you think you may want an option while purchasing then get it. There is no way you will get it anywhere close to the origional sticker prica as an add on and it will never be quite as good as the factory equipped version.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkburns
They contacted DC and were told "We have no idea what you are talking about. There are no plans to integrate the camera image into the NAV unit."
Unless you were there when they talked to DCX, I am doubting they even contacted them.

If your dealer pulls open the ordering system to order a Commander he will find A.) he can not order a 2006 Commander anymore, and B.) that for 2007 the navigation system and camera are ONE OPTION (at least on the Limited). It would seem mighty odd that DCX would put it as one option if it was still two different screens.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in