HIDs won't turn off until engine off. Solution? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HIDs won't turn off until engine off. Solution?

So I finally received my pair of custom built projector headlights from HIDprojectors.com and installed them over the weekend and they look awesome. I'll post a separate thread with a review and pictures but I'm just trying to deal with a minor issue first.

The HIDs are wired with a relay that was supplied with the headlights so that the ballasts are powered directly from the battery. Only one of the factory headlight outputs is used to trigger the relay. The relay then sends power to both ballasts which powers the HIDs. The HIDs turn on as they should either by manually switching them or via the auto headlamps option but once they turn on they won't shut off unless I turn the engine off and exit the vehicle. When on, I try to shut them off via the headlight switch wait a minute or so and nothing. Because of this issue, if the lights happen to be off and I drive under a dark bridge the HIDs will come on with the auto headlights option but will not turn back off once I pass the bridge and I'm in daylight. It seems that though the relay is not receiving the "off" signal that it needs.

Has anybody who has installed HID kits on our Commanders experienced this? I've read that the relay might not supply the load needed for the Commander to know the headlight bulbs are working and will constantly send a pulsed signal to keep "looking" for them but even once I turn the lights off will it continue to send this pulsed test signal that might keep the relay stuck in the "on" position? What do you guys think? I want to try a load resistor in the factory headlamp output that goes to the relay to see if that helps but I'm not positive that it would and I don't want to fry my circuits. Please help!

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

I have a feeling it might be the relay, possibly wired wrong. The supplied wire harness was meant to be used in a bi-xenon setup which means it has wires for single bulbs that function as both low and high beams. Our Commanders have separate high and low beam bulbs so I would've required a non-bi-xenon harness. I ordered a new harness with relay to see if this remedies the issue.

Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,499, Level: 100 Points: 59,499, Level: 100 Points: 59,499, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
I ordered a new harness with relay to see if this remedies the issue.
Let us know if this takes care of the issue. Good luck !

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Let us know if this takes care of the issue. Good luck !
Thanks!

The new harness actually fixed my issue. The lights now turn off and on as they should, manually or via auto headlights. I'm very happy now with the HID projectors. Once I get some good night time pictures I'll post a new thread with info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
ballast , hid , issues , relay , resistor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in