'07 factory Nav replacement options - Help! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,789, Level: 49 Points: 5,789, Level: 49 Points: 5,789, Level: 49
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

'07 factory Nav replacement options - Help!

My factory Nav unit seems to be dying a slow death. This really blows since we aren't far from trying to sell the vehicle.

What is the best replacement option and source for the Nav unit? I want to retain all the factory features. It's a Limited model if that makes any difference. Has backup camera and backseat TV screen. It's not a touchscreen unit, but I would "update" to that model if it would plug and play.

Thanks!

2007 Commander Limited 4x4 QDII 5.7L HEMI

Black w/Saddle Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Ebay, people often sell their OEM radio left over after replacing it with an aftermarket radio, usually pretty darn cheap compared to the price new and they are usually gently used.

Dealer, just order a new one, it will be frustratingly expensive.

Dealer with online sales, same as any other dealer, just has an online sales department selling the Dealer parts at a discount.

Internet searches, perhaps a company is selling new OEM radios or used/repaired OEM radios.

Finally go aftermarket and get a new Head Unit that includes NAV, most including NAV are the more expensive models and are fully loaded with features, including back-up cameras and auxiliary output for rear screens, etc...

The issue would be can the aftermarket stereo connect to the existing back-up camera and rear screen TV. My aftermarket head unit, with an optional XM radio unit connected, the OEM Satellite antenna doesn't fit, but you can make it fit by taping it down and the OEM antenna gets the signal just as strong as the included antenna that your suppose to use.

Go to Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV they have lots of resources to figuring this out.

And another option, since you have to pay so much for the NAV, just get the control head without the NAV and use your phone. Although a couple years ago when I upgraded to an aftermarket stereo, the connection between head unit and phone was still rather immature. I could use my phone NAV on the Head Unit Screen, but I couldn't listen to the radio or recorded music while I did it, as well I had to connect two huge cables to the phone. Perhaps its more worked out now, and you can actually use your phone NAV on the screen while still listening to the radio and NOT use ungainly cables while doing it. i.e. Android Car Talk, or something like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Oh BTW, Double DIN head units do NOT fit the Commander's Dash without cutting and modification. Yes, the front face of the OEM radio is the exact same height as Double DIN and slightly wider, the adapter for what you see in front is just plastic inserts to fill in the left over opening of slightly narrower Double DIN aftermarket Head Unit.

But look at the OEM radio removed, the body of the radio behind the face plate is smaller than the face plate. While most Double DIN head units have a body the same size as the face plate, and thus will not slide into the opening in the dash behind the face plate. You will likely need to cut up the plastic of the dash behind the faceplate, enlarge the opening, to get the aftermarket Double DIN radio to slide into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:47 PM

Oh, one more, Do you have a Factory Amp? The higher end sound system? Is it Kicker or Harmon Kardon, I forget the brand?

The Factory Amp is controlled through the CAN bus, thus an aftermarket head unit cannot communicate with it to control it. Aftermarket Head Units cannot communicate on the CAN bus for steering wheel controls or the delayed shutoff that the OEM radio has either. They do make a CAN Bus Translator that is an additional purchase that you can wire in, that will work with the delayed shut-off and steering wheel controls for the aftermarket radio, it will communicate with the Factory Amp as well, BUT, they haven't figured out all the controls, I think you will still lose the ability to control the fading with the factory amp, but should be able to control everything else, like volume, balance and so on with a CAN Bus Translator.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

I'm about to swap in a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS and a PAC-RP4-CH11 to maintain steering wheel controls, VES and Amp (although I may choose to skip the factory amp). I'll let you know how it goes.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L, Rough Country 2.5" Lift, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, DiabloSport i1000, Stock Wheels and Tires
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:05 AM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I'm running a setup similar to yours, though a bit older. I've got the PAC-RP11 and steering where controls work perfectly, as does the Boston Acoustics amp. It should be noted that the front/rear balance no longer works. However, I didn't retain rear VES functionality with my Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. I also don't have the backup camera so I can't vouch for that. I didn't have to make any modifications to the dash to make my stereo fit, either.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Points: 5,080, Level: 45 Points: 5,080, Level: 45 Points: 5,080, Level: 45
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

How do I tell if I have a factory amp? My speakers on the door panels say Boston Acoustics or Research, 1 of the two.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI, Flowmaster SUV 50 series muffler, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, RC 2" Lift, Firestone Destination AT 245-75-17, 1.5 " spacers.

1966 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,312, Level: 100 Points: 59,312, Level: 100 Points: 59,312, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted289 View Post
How do I tell if I have a factory amp? My speakers on the door panels say Boston Acoustics or Research, 1 of the two.
If you have the Boston Acoustics system then you have a factory amp. Unless, of course, it was switched out by a previous owner. The factory amp is located behind the driver's side trim panel in the cargo area.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Just installed the Kenwood DDX6902S with Apple CarPlay which uses the Phones NAV. Works with everything except the VES, which was ok with me .The kids always use Headphones anyway.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Points: 5,080, Level: 45 Points: 5,080, Level: 45 Points: 5,080, Level: 45
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
If you have the Boston Acoustics system then you have a factory amp. Unless, of course, it was switched out by a previous owner. The factory amp is located behind the driver's side trim panel in the cargo area.
Does that mean if I replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit I will lose the amp?

2007 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI, Flowmaster SUV 50 series muffler, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, RC 2" Lift, Firestone Destination AT 245-75-17, 1.5 " spacers.

1966 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in