Combination of Electrical Issues - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,135, Level: 34 Points: 3,135, Level: 34 Points: 3,135, Level: 34
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Combination of Electrical Issues

Excuse me if this problem has appeared on here already, I have done some extensive searching but cant seem to find this same problem anywhere.

I have been experiencing intermittent issues with my 2008 Commander. This morning I had my air conditioner on and all of the sudden it shuts off, the blower and all just died.

I began to look at my dash and my compass just has "--" where the indicator would be and then my airbag light came on. I was trying to find a decent place to pull over and check things out when after about 30 seconds after everything quit, it all came back to life as if nothing had happend before.

I am thinking that its almost like a relay or a resistor getting hot but at the same time I am not sure how the blower, air bag, and compass could all be tied into the same problem.

If anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated!
belhaven26 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Have you checked for any trouble codes that might indicate the problem?

Cleaning battery connections can't hurt either.

Do you have the metal key with a transponder chip or do you have the later RFID FOBIK key that is just a plastic block on the end of the fob? There has been a few posts about the ignition switch going bad and causing intermittent cut out of some of the electrical items. I don't think it was every the AC and blower fan though. I think its the more traditional ignition switch that works with the metal key. The RFID Fobik system, the ignition switch is just a radio and small switches to trigger an electronic module to turn on those circuits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I have the FOBIK key, actually its brand new since i recently got the recall taken care of for the ignition. I do believe they put in a whole new ignition cylinder. I would like to mention this issue happened intermittently before I had the recall work performed. I am not sure how to go about the trouble codes, is this something the dealer can do or can a place like AutoZone do it. I know there are some codes only the dealership can pull. The battery connections are solid as this was my first thought and I should have mentioned it in my original post. I guess it could be a potential ground issue but it just seems odd that every time it happens it only affects the 3 items (compass, blower, airbag).

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Have your battery tested.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I will try to get that done tonight. It only seems to do this during hot weather.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnoeber View Post
I have the FOBIK key, actually its brand new since i recently got the recall taken care of for the ignition. I do believe they put in a whole new ignition cylinder. I would like to mention this issue happened intermittently before I had the recall work performed. I am not sure how to go about the trouble codes, is this something the dealer can do or can a place like AutoZone do it. I know there are some codes only the dealership can pull. The battery connections are solid as this was my first thought and I should have mentioned it in my original post. I guess it could be a potential ground issue but it just seems odd that every time it happens it only affects the 3 items (compass, blower, airbag).
The FOBIK is a radio receiver/transmitter with three small low current switches. I suppose if those switches went bad, it could trigger the controlling module to turn things on/off.

Unlike older ignition switches that actually turned big heavy duty contacts to turn on the power.

But you said its only three things, not a lot of things, which a central source like the ignition switch would surely kill many things NOT just one.

Have you considered you have 3 separate problems? The compass going out might NOT be power at all, but instead a sensor problem.

You may have a blower motor going bad, or bad wiring to the blower motor. Usually, the resister that controls the speed has a thermal shutdown protection and dirty cabin filters or blocked air passages can trip that thermal shutdown.

The Airbag, the gov requires a six sigma statistical reliability in a system that sits for decades without use, just on standby. They have to develop ridiculously exacting self-tests to meet engineering standards for that statistical reliability. A bad clockspring, dirty or corroded connector can cause the light to AirBag warning light to come on for failing the self-test.

Reading Codes, search youtube for a video about the Chrysler Key Dance. Its turning the key on/off 3 times to end at "ON" without starting the motor, the trouble codes will read out in the EVIC. That will show you all the codes that the Autozone cheap scanner can read.

In the last 15 years, all the manufacturers have expanded on OBDII (which was mandated by the government), for all these extra features and equipment. But, since these are extended features that the Gov didn't mandate, or safety features that the gov didn't mandate easy reading of the trouble codes like OBDII, all the manufacturers do their best to keep the trouble codes from the owners to force them back into their dealerships and pay through the nose for service they could do themselves.

Trouble codes for the Air Bag are definitely proprietary, you'll need a far more expensive tool than Autozone has to find the code. The Dealer, a big independent shop or buying a $500+ tool is needed to find out the AirBag codes.

All the manufacturers do this, and they hope you'll just do what you're probably thinking, curse and swear and then just give up and go to the dealer and take out a loan to pay for them to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

While I wont discount that I could potentially have three separate issues, I do find it a very small probability that all three items, will happen at the exact same time, and all functionality will return at the exact same time. If I were a gambling person, I would be willing to bet with almost 100% certainty that all three items are related, however I just cannot figure out how they are related.

I want to lean away from key/ignition as this was all just recently replaced, as well as new keys. As I mentioned earlier, I had this issue intermittently before the new keys and ignition.

There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason when these issues arise. I have had it happen on my way to work in the mornings as well as soon as when I start my car to leave work and anywhere in between. I dont really want to have to take it to the dealer to check out but if the issue persists to the point where functionality does not return I may end up having to.

I understand with these vehicles everything is run electronically and gone are the days when the only electric items were the radio, lights, and wipers.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
While I wont discount that I could potentially have three separate issues, I do find it a very small probability that all three items, will happen at the exact same time, and all functionality will return at the exact same time. If I were a gambling person, I would be willing to bet with almost 100% certainty that all three items are related, however I just cannot figure out how they are related.
You did mention that before, I forgot, and yea, I'd have to agree that they seem related somehow, I just can't imagine how. That was why I suggested separate issues, forgetting you say you get them at the same time.
Quote:
I want to lean away from key/ignition as this was all just recently replaced, as well as new keys. As I mentioned earlier, I had this issue intermittently before the new keys and ignition.

There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason when these issues arise. I have had it happen on my way to work in the mornings as well as soon as when I start my car to leave work and anywhere in between. I dont really want to have to take it to the dealer to check out but if the issue persists to the point where functionality does not return I may end up having to.

I understand with these vehicles everything is run electronically and gone are the days when the only electric items were the radio, lights, and wipers.
I really think you need to find the codes. Do the key dance and see if you get any codes. Unfortunately, there are even more codes for NON-Engine stuff that is kept by the manufacturer out of the hands of the owners, and you have to bring it to the dealer to have them read the codes.

As well, check the fuses, see if any are loose. I have had the IOD fuses pulled out and NOT properly re-inserted and it did give me an airbag light. I can't imagine how the IOD fuses would stop the blower or the compass.

Fuseable link? again I'd think you'd have more problems than those 3.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Have you checked all of the ground connections and the body to ground and the engine block to ground and the ground input to the P.C.M.? as all electrical components must have some sort of connection to ground in order to send the correct voltage signal back to the P.C.M. weather it be 5 volts, 8 volts or 12 volts.

Swanny
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Points: 32,600, Level: 100 Points: 32,600, Level: 100 Points: 32,600, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
You said you don't think it could be the Key switch as you had the recall done. On mine and not sure about yours they just replaced the mechanical parts and not the electrical switch part. It still may be your ignition switch. Cheap and easy to replace.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in