Head Unit Swap, Amp Bypass Wiring Difficulty Level? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,976, Level: 33 Points: 2,976, Level: 33 Points: 2,976, Level: 33
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: ~131K
Head Unit Swap, Amp Bypass Wiring Difficulty Level?

Howdy...

I'm hoping to swap out the HU in my '07 Limited (BA, Nav) soon, but I'm not sure what route to take. I'd like to do it myself, to save the installation $$$. I've changed a few HU's over the years, but no real wiring experience.

My stock amp is blown, I think. Fuses all seem fine, I'm get nothing thru the door and rear speakers, only dash tweeters work. Because of this, I'd like to just bypass the stock amp.

How much of a PITA is it to bypass the factory amp? Am I going to have to run wires between the HU and the amp? What kind of skill level does this warrant?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

2007 Commander 5.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 AM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
There are plenty of wiring harnesses out there to assist with bypassing the factory amp. One great website to source from is Crutchfield. They provide plenty of options for harnesses that will bypass the factory amp. However, the wiring will seem overwhelming if you're a beginner. You'll have to run power from the battery to the amp, as well as a ground from the amp to the body of the car. You'll also have to run wires from your head unit to your amp, and wires from your amp to each speaker. Overall, wiring in your own amp is a very involved task, and you'll be removing a lot of trim and doing a lot of wiring to make it look clean.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,976, Level: 33 Points: 2,976, Level: 33 Points: 2,976, Level: 33
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: ~131K
Hmmm...

My plan, initially, is to bypass the factory amp, so I don't intend to wire in a new amp. I guess a better question is this: Does the bypass harness connect to the head unit, or will it connect to the stock, dead amp?

2007 Commander 5.7

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
The bypass harness will connect directly to the head unit and CANBUS systems, which will bypass the factory amp. I mentioned installing another amp because the speakers will still need to draw power from somewhere. If you don't install another amp to drive the speakers, then you'll be driving them solely off of the head unit, which may cause a loss in sound quality. However, an amp definitely isn't necessary.

Regardless of your approach, the bypass harness will not in any way connect to the factory amp. However, you'll still need to run new wiring to each speaker, because the factory wiring is linked to the factory amp. Many bypass harnesses will include plenty of wire to do this.

This bypass harness includes the wiring to connect directly to the CANBUS system and provide power. From there, you'll simply need to connect the appropriate wires to your head unit, and run wires to the speakers. However, you will need an additional adapter if you want to retain your steering wheel controls.

Overall, the install you're looking to do isn't particularly challenging, just time consuming. You'll never have to touch the factory amp and won't have to splice into any factory wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in