Toasted Screen - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Toasted Screen

My 06, 6 disk, Boston radio screen now just jumps around. Many colored lines and sporadic text. Can this be repaired or am I looking at a new unit. I don't care about the nav system, but do want uconnect and satellite radio. Just asking. I can live without the screen but it would be nice to have things back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,033, Level: 94 Points: 24,033, Level: 94 Points: 24,033, Level: 94
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
My 06, 6 disk, Boston radio screen now just jumps around. Many colored lines and sporadic text. Can this be repaired or am I looking at a new unit. I don't care about the nav system, but do want uconnect and satellite radio. Just asking. I can live without the screen but it would be nice to have things back to normal.
If the display is cooked your most likely looking at replacing the whole radio.

I know there are some radio differences between your 06 and my 08 as I think 08 is when the switched to the MyGIG Media Center 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD radios.

The problem I ran into with my radio was different then what you're experiencing Creek;

My radio display for the back-up camera video, would not display usable video from the back-up camera while backing up.

When I first bought my Commander it worked fine, but within a couple of days, my radio display would no longer show usable back-up camera video, it would display it extremely dimly, so dimly that the radio display looked almost completely black - as if it wasn't working at all.

The radio display itself, worked fine for radio related functions.

When I first discovered this issue, it was an intermittent problem - sometimes it would display back-up camera video - and sometimes it wouldn't.

As time wore on, the problem became more and more frequent to the point where my back-up camera video almost never worked - and when it did decide to work properly, it would be for very brief periods of time.

First, I replaced the back-up camera. This was the cheaper repair of the two repair options I had (replacing the radio was the other), and of course, replacing the back-up camera didn't solve the issue.

So, I wound up replacing the radio - and that solved the problem.

A rebuilt/reconditioned MyGIG radio from the dealership (which is all you can get now - they no longer sell them brand new) is still almost $1000.00 by itself - 900 and change as I recall.

If your display is fried Creek, I'm guessing you are probably going to wind up replacing the whole radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-01-2017 at 02:51 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Blue,I guess in 06 backup cams were not an option, since mine does not have one and it has almost every option with the exception of the rear video. Mine started as a few colored lines across the screen which started 2-3 years ago and have become more numerous and the screen would flutter occasionally now it does it pretty much all the time. I will have to take it to a radio repair shop and see what they say. I think you are right 06-07 are different from the newer ones.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Blue,I guess in 06 backup cams were not an option, since mine does not have one and it has almost every option with the exception of the rear video. Mine started as a few colored lines across the screen which started 2-3 years ago and have become more numerous and the screen would flutter occasionally now it does it pretty much all the time. I will have to take it to a radio repair shop and see what they say. I think you are right 06-07 are different from the newer ones.
It would be cool if you could just get the display repaired.

Maybe a legit car audio/radio repair place might be able to do that for you.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
It would be cool if you could just get the display repaired.

Maybe a legit car audio/radio repair place might be able to do that for you.

Super common problem. It's toast. Looking at 650 with install if you can wait for a decent deal on a pioneer. Here is the thing though - something is up with the wiring back there, because within a few months my pioneer started "misbehaving". Have not ruled out poor installation job, but I have a suspicion this is a Jeep wiring issue, because, you know, that's just never the case with Mopar. Since you don't have the backup cam, you could always have one installed to the new head unit.

When I finally can get the problem to replicate in front of the tech, I'll be able to update you on this. Basically, when it's a cold start, the screen and radio won't work. If running for awhile, and then restarted, all is right again. Or, if started and the temperature is over 50 degrees, then also no issues.

Maybe I have a battery issue lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Points: 4,492, Level: 42 Points: 4,492, Level: 42 Points: 4,492, Level: 42
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
There are a couple of companies that will repair/replace the screens. Not sure of the cost. Some later 06 models do have backup cameras and all 07's can have a camera installed. These later nav radio units have a separate camera input for the backup camera. My 06 has a backup camera. Sometimes the problem is that the ribbon cable connection can cause these issues that you describe. If you are handy working on delicate things some people have taken apart the screen and video board and fixed the connection.

Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Montel, Everything works on mine with the exception, ot the screen. A member pointed me toward a Nav Repair outfit that can repair the screen. The amazing thing it is 20 minutes from me so I will be checking next week.

Last edited by Creek; 04-02-2017 at 10:02 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Montel, Everything works on mine with the exception, ot the screen. A member pointed me toward a Nav Repair outfit that can repair the screen. The amazing thing it is 20 minutes from me so I will be checking next week.
Good luck Creek, let me know how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in