Sunroof... the Boston Acoustics amp killer? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaugedFreak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,502, Level: 30 Points: 2,502, Level: 30 Points: 2,502, Level: 30
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Garage
Sunroof... the Boston Acoustics amp killer?

We've had our Commander for a few years now. I've battled with the Leaky sunroof, fixed the drain tubes which helped my floors dry out. However, we had a big rain on weekend and the jeep was parked facing uphill (probably 25 degree slope or so). When I went to put my son in his booster seat I noticed the back seats were soaked. It looked like it had leaked out around the rear seat light area. A few days later we realized that our BA amp in the rear was no longer working. The best I can figure is the water was draining back through the headliner and dripping behind the panel on to the amp.

I pulled the amp out after driving it for a while and took it apart. It didn't look awful, the connectors weren't corroded, but I could see a little corrosion on the amp circuit board. I have a new amp and will be installing it this weekend. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? I've read reports of amps going bad, has anyone that has an amp fail parked with the back lower than the front? Needless to say we've started backing into the parking spot so the water is running towards the front where the drain holes are. I can't believe how bad this design is.

GaugedFreak
2007 Jeep Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,391, Level: 100 Points: 59,391, Level: 100 Points: 59,391, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
I had the same thing happen to me. The sunroof leak got to my amp. And I have seen where it happened to at least one other person.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Points: 1,108, Level: 18 Points: 1,108, Level: 18 Points: 1,108, Level: 18
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Model year: 2008
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. The sunroof leak got to my amp. And I have seen where it happened to at least one other person.
I think my amp has recently failed completely.. although I don't remember finding any evidence of water inside the cabin...

I suspect it is the amp because some speakers work and others don't.. I confirmed this by using the fade button..

was the symptoms of your failed amp? did you lose all sound or just some speakers?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,391, Level: 100 Points: 59,391, Level: 100 Points: 59,391, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by housedl View Post
I think my amp has recently failed completely.. although I don't remember finding any evidence of water inside the cabin...

I suspect it is the amp because some speakers work and others don't.. I confirmed this by using the fade button..

was the symptoms of your failed amp? did you lose all sound or just some speakers?
Lost all sound.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
My door and rear speakers stopped working. We only had dash speakers which run off the head unit power. I bought a replacement OEM amp which was $155 shipped. Took a few hours to install and everything sounds good again. I know stuff goes bad, but interior items shouldn't be getting wet like that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 AM

2WD
Quote:
Quote:
Lost all sound.
hmmmm.. that suxk man.. sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaugedFreak View Post
My door and rear speakers stopped working. We only had dash speakers which run off the head unit power. I bought a replacement OEM amp which was $155 shipped. Took a few hours to install and everything sounds good again. I know stuff goes bad, but interior items shouldn't be getting wet like that.
same exact speaker loss here... was it a huge pain to take out the trim .. I was looking at it the other day it looked like not fun.. looks like you have to take it out all the way up to the lining because the amp is pretty high up..

can you advice?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
Current Mileage: 125K
Ill bet the rear drain tubes are plugged.
They drain slightly uphill before they drop down the drop down i think in the pillar between front and rear door and terminate somewhere in the unibody frame... They are not visible underneath...
If you pull the sunroof trim off (open sunroof to see how the clips are attached) and pry down the roof liner you'll see the blue corrugated tube. I was able to use a piece of 3/8" copper tube to insert down the aluminum gutter of the sunroof and fit it into the drain. Used a pump sprayer with warm water to flush the drain til water ran on the ground, then once it was open flushed it with bleachy water to clean. Its definately a lousy install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by housedl View Post
hmmmm.. that suxk man.. sorry

same exact speaker loss here... was it a huge pain to take out the trim .. I was looking at it the other day it looked like not fun.. looks like you have to take it out all the way up to the lining because the amp is pretty high up..

can you advice?
I used this video to do mine.

And got the amplifier with part number #05064118AL, if you search for that part number you should get several hits. It's a Mopar OEM part, mine was about $155 shipped.

Quote:
Ill bet the rear drain tubes are plugged.
They drain slightly uphill before they drop down the drop down i think in the pillar between front and rear door and terminate somewhere in the unibody frame... They are not visible underneath...
Thanks, I didn't realize there were rear drain plugs too! That makes sense. My fronts were clogged with all kinds of nasty junk at the bottom of the drain hose.
jeep5253 likes this.

GaugedFreak
2007 Jeep Commander
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:19 AM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaugedFreak View Post
I used this video to do mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lug7H0WcWWM

And got the amplifier with part number #05064118AL, if you search for that part number you should get several hits. It's a Mopar OEM part, mine was about $155 shipped.

Thanks, I didn't realize there were rear drain plugs too! That makes sense. My fronts were clogged with all kinds of nasty junk at the bottom of the drain hose.
thanks for that video... i thought i searched thoroughly.. but didnt find anything..

also did you clean out your sunroof drain plugs?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
Current Mileage: 125K
Yep...mine clog so I have to clean them every year by flushing hot bleachy water through, then rinsing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in