Dash illumination during the day - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112000
Dash illumination during the day

I find it hard to see the dash instruments during daylight because they have no illumination. Even bigger problem when wearing sunglasses. I can turn on headlights to illuminate the dash but then I am at risk of leaving them on when I leave vehicle. Is there any way to get some illumination on the dash without turning on headlights?
A second part of this question is about daytime running lights. Apparently the previous owner never had dealer turn that feature on. I will tackle that issue at the dealer during my next oil change. If I have the driving light feature turned on, will that also cause my dash lights to come on to improve my daytime dash visibility?

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
No sure what year u hsve but I don't know any way to do it. I find it harder to see dash instruments when my auto lights come on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,500, Level: 92 Points: 21,500, Level: 92 Points: 21,500, Level: 92
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I find it hard to see the dash instruments during daylight because they have no illumination. Even bigger problem when wearing sunglasses. I can turn on headlights to illuminate the dash but then I am at risk of leaving them on when I leave vehicle. Is there any way to get some illumination on the dash without turning on headlights?
A second part of this question is about daytime running lights. Apparently the previous owner never had dealer turn that feature on. I will tackle that issue at the dealer during my next oil change. If I have the driving light feature turned on, will that also cause my dash lights to come on to improve my daytime dash visibility?
I don't think you need to turn your headlights on PaulD; you should be able to get your dash lights on by just turning your park/running lights on.

I'm not 100% sure of the answer to your second question - but my gut tells me No, I don't think turning on the daytime running lights will turn your dash lights on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM

4WD
In the question of weather having the daytime running lights come on some vehicles don't illuminate the dash cluster but let's say it did illuminate them the visibility of ur dash cluster would be dependent on the light entering the vehicle from outside like do u have stock tinted windows or are the darker. The darker the tint the less light entering from outside making the dash cluster seem brighter assuming we go from the hypothetical situation that your daytime running light system illuminates the dash cluster it's self this is all being based of the day time running light set up nothing else just saying
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM

4WD
This is only based on my personal experiences with a coouple vehicles that have the drl I can say anything with my commander as I always just have it on auto (never have to worry about cops pulling me over for headlights not being on lol)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 112000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I don't think you need to turn your headlights on PaulD; you should be able to get your dash lights on by just turning your park/running lights on.
Same results as turning on headlights. I would still need to manually turn them off when I leave vehicle.

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,500, Level: 92 Points: 21,500, Level: 92 Points: 21,500, Level: 92
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Same results as turning on headlights. I would still need to manually turn them off when I leave vehicle.
That's correct.

I didn't realize you were looking for a fully automatic function.

In my view, turning a knob to shut the park/running lights off or to turn them back on, is no different then taking your seat belt off every time you get out of your Car - or putting your seat belt on when you get back in.

Not a very big deal at all.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-03-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Points: 10,133, Level: 67 Points: 10,133, Level: 67 Points: 10,133, Level: 67
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 83k
I have an '06. At first, the dash lights, and radio were bright enough during the daytime. Eventually, they went dim like everyone is describing. At first, I thought it was something on the dash covering the headlight sensor, so the car "read" that as if it was night. The problem has transitioned to full time, with occasional flickering of dash lights during the day. I just live with it because dealers have a habit of throwing your money at a problem and not fixing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in