REC radio fitment - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112000
REC radio fitment

I know that the REC radio is available with and without the connector for a back up camera. That is the only difference I am aware of between the REC radios that came in various Chrysler vehicles. There are a ton of different part numbers for the REC but I am assuming that they are all functionally the same and are interchangeable (other than the camera function). Can I use any REC radio to replace my current REC radio that is giving me problems? If so, I want to replace my problem REC radio to the REC model with the back up camera.
I know a lot of people have installed an aftermarket radio or changed to the MyGig radio but I do not want to go that route.

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
The REC radios are interchangeable, so any model REC should be able to replace yours. The REC also gets the brand name over the CAN bus, so the new radio should also display Jeep after the first start.

As far as replacing with the backup camera, you'll probably encounter some issues finding parts. I wanted to go the same route for awhile but couldn't find the proper camera and trim. You'll also want to be very comfortable with wiring to install it, or take it to a shop, since you'll need to run new wiring across the entire vehicle to wire in a backup camera.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

4WD
Current Mileage: 112000
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
The REC radios are interchangeable, so any model REC should be able to replace yours. The REC also gets the brand name over the CAN bus, so the new radio should also display Jeep after the first start.

As far as replacing with the backup camera, you'll probably encounter some issues finding parts. I wanted to go the same route for awhile but couldn't find the proper camera and trim. You'll also want to be very comfortable with wiring to install it, or take it to a shop, since you'll need to run new wiring across the entire vehicle to wire in a backup camera.
Thanks. I am not worried about wiring. I know it is a PITA to open up all the trim and molding but I have done that stuff before including wiring in an aftermarket NAV radio with a lot of hard wire connection. My main concern was if there was any functional difference in the various P/N's for the REC.

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in