New CB Install - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
EricWEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Phoenix, Az
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 160000
Posts: 13
Garage
Cool New CB Install

Just finished installing my CB and I have never seen it done this way yet, and I'm very pleased with the results. For mounting I used an underdash radio pod from Crutchfield and used it on top of the dash. I had to modify it a bit to fit the CB, but a little work with a file took care of it. I colored it with ColorBond GM Light Kahki which was the best match I could find for the Kahki interior color. If I had it to do over again I would try to get a match for the Greystone color. Everything is mounted in a non damaging way, 3M Trim tape (this stuff sticks really strong, but will come off with enough force) so I can return the Jeep to stock if need be. Let me know what y'all think!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_20180121_201453.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	30194  

-Eric

2007 Commander - 4.7L QT-II
EricWEvans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
consumedbywater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Posts: 479
Garage
Looks good. Personally I like to keep mine as stock looking as possible, which is why if I ever need a CB I'll likely install it underneath the driver's side dashboard on the flip down panel. But your solution looks great and much easier to use.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
consumedbywater is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
EricWEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Phoenix, Az
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 160000
Posts: 13
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
Looks good. Personally I like to keep mine as stock looking as possible, which is why if I ever need a CB I'll likely install it underneath the driver's side dashboard on the flip down panel. But your solution looks great and much easier to use.
The left side of the dash is what I originally wanted to do, but I tested that by zip-tie-ing it in place for a few days. My wife and I are both rather tall and we kept bashing our knee into it getting in and out, and for me my left knee would touch it while I was driving which I didn't like. If I didn't want a full size CB some of the smaller ones will fit where the storage pocket is on the left side of the dash.

-Eric

2007 Commander - 4.7L QT-II
EricWEvans is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
consumedbywater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Posts: 479
Garage
There's actually a panel under the dash that flips down, which would be a great location for the install. If you pull down on the panel underneath the steering wheel, it'll flip down. There's a good amount of space in there to install it out of the way.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
consumedbywater is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
EricWEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Phoenix, Az
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 160000
Posts: 13
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
There's actually a panel under the dash that flips down, which would be a great location for the install. If you pull down on the panel underneath the steering wheel, it'll flip down. There's a good amount of space in there to install it out of the way.
Yeah, that's what I had done, removed that panel all together and mounted it to the steel frame underneath. My original thought was to mount it there and then cut the cover to fit around it. For my legs the only place I could have put it would have been dead center under the steering wheel so that it would go between the two steel frame pieces. Might work depending on your size, I'm 6' 4" and I couldn't get in and out at all with my boots on, when I originally put it there I was barefoot and that made a difference.

-Eric

2007 Commander - 4.7L QT-II
EricWEvans is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Houston ,Texas
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 253,000
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWEvans View Post
Just finished installing my CB and I have never seen it done this way yet, and I'm very pleased with the results. For mounting I used an underdash radio pod from Crutchfield and used it on top of the dash. I had to modify it a bit to fit the CB, but a little work with a file took care of it. I colored it with ColorBond GM Light Kahki which was the best match I could find for the Kahki interior color. If I had it to do over again I would try to get a match for the Greystone color. Everything is mounted in a non damaging way, 3M Trim tape (this stuff sticks really strong, but will come off with enough force) so I can return the Jeep to stock if need be. Let me know what y'all think!!!
Great location.
I did mine like that about 8 years ago. Except I made mine out of fiberglass. then I applied the texture on it ,and then painted to match.
The Cobra 29 is a great consumer grade radio. Very easy to modify the insides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Spraygun is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
EricWEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Phoenix, Az
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 160000
Posts: 13
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
Great location.
I did mine like that about 8 years ago. Except I made mine out of fiberglass. then I applied the texture on it ,and then painted to match.
The Cobra 29 is a great consumer grade radio. Very easy to modify the insides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That's pretty slick! Great minds man, great minds.

-Eric

2007 Commander - 4.7L QT-II
EricWEvans is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,896, Level: 94 Points: 23,896, Level: 94 Points: 23,896, Level: 94
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida; Proud to have served.
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Posts: 5,473
Garage
That's nice work @EricWEvans .


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
cb radio , install , installation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome