Desire new radio/xm/cd/Bluetooth unit - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Points: 525, Level: 10 Points: 525, Level: 10 Points: 525, Level: 10
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 140000
Desire new radio/xm/cd/Bluetooth unit

Are there any plug and play systems that will replace my current system?
I am ok if the NAV is a linked function to a smart phone as long as it maps on screen or is an embedded NAV.
I would like to use the Uconnect microphone and speakers but would prefer a better voice command system that does not require individual programming to Uconnect (it’s better if the voice command uses the phone contacts list). I also want the rear view camera and park assist to function as well as the steering wheel controls.
I want the rear seat DVD player to function but do not need a dvd function in the front.
Is this to big of a wish list? Brands and model numbers you have had success with would be greatly appreciated!
2007 Limited, 5.7 Hemi 4x4
This is what my factory build list is:
6CD/Full Map GPS Display Nav Radio (REC)
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls
Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Rear Seat Video System
ParkView Rear Back-up Camera
Rear Overhead Console
276 Watt Amplifier
6 Boston Acoustics Speakers
Radio/Driver Seat/Mirrors Memory
Electronic Infotainment Sys Group
Navigation/Rear Back-Up Camera Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,497, Level: 92 Points: 21,497, Level: 92 Points: 21,497, Level: 92
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
There are plenty of aftermarket head units you can put in - but all will require an aftermarket adapter harness to hook-up to the factory wiring harness - and your aftermarket head unit will also need an additional adapter to hook-up to the factory back-up camera.

So, there are no "plug & play" units for XK's per say.

I went with a Pioneer AVH-X490BS CD/DVD RDS AV head unit and added a Sirius XM Receiver to it.

I paid a little over $700.00 installed, my unit has Spotify & Pandora although I didn't bother to have those apps enabled - this unit does have those apps installed and available if you want them. However I don't know if it is "NAV" capable or not, because I have always had a Garmin GPS mounted on my dash. It is Bluetooth capable which is great - my factory 2008 REC "MyGIG" unit did not come with U-connect from the factory, so, I really appreciated the Bluetooth capability of the new unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-30-2018 at 08:42 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 525, Level: 10 Points: 525, Level: 10 Points: 525, Level: 10
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Thank you Big Blue.
Big Blue likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbanger View Post
Thank you Big Blue.
No problem at all.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Points: 1,829, Level: 25 Points: 1,829, Level: 25 Points: 1,829, Level: 25
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 160000
Garage
Quote:
I am ok if the NAV is a linked function to a smart phone as long as it maps on screen or is an embedded NAV.
I would like to use the Uconnect microphone and speakers but would prefer a better voice command system that does not require individual programming to Uconnect (it’s better if the voice command uses the phone contacts list). I also want the rear view camera and park assist to function as well as the steering wheel controls.
I want the rear seat DVD player to function but do not need a dvd function in the front.
Is this to big of a wish list? Brands and model numbers you have had success with would be greatly appreciated!
Rear Seat Video System
Rear Overhead Console
276 Watt Amplifier
I had a Kenwood DDX-9902s with the iDatalink Maestro until a month ago when I installed a XTrons 10.1" Android unit. Love it so far although it does take a little more tinkering to get setup the way you want. Initially I bypassed the factory AMP, and accepted no steering wheel controls, and dimming with the headlights because I couldn't find a canbus adapter for the unit like my Kenwood had with the Maestro unit. However, since then I reached out to XTrons and over the course of a couple weeks I was able to get a canbus adapter ordered from XTrons that would have made the whole installation practically plug-n-play. I am not sure about the backup camera since mine didn't have it to start but I can add an after market one for really cheap if I want to. I am going to take pictures of the setup when my adapter arrives and I install it.

XTrons 10.1" unit on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799HX8CT

Power cable and canbus adapter PB68WRJ $65 (have to order via XTrons)

2006 Limited w/ QDII 5.7

Magnaflow cat back exhaust
Rough Country 664 2.25" Lift
Bilstein's 4600 Front, 5100 Rear
1.25" Wheel Spacers
Faulken WP 255/70R17
JBA UCA's
JKS Quicker disconnect sway bar links
Tadd Steel rear driveshaft w/ serviceable u-joints
XTrons 10.1" Android head unit
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Points: 282, Level: 5 Points: 282, Level: 5 Points: 282, Level: 5
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyoneil View Post
Quote:
I would like to use the Uconnect microphone and speakers but would prefer a better voice command system that does not require individual programming to Uconnect (it€™️s better if the voice command uses the phone contacts list). I also want the rear view camera and park assist to function as well as the steering wheel controls.
Rear Seat Video System
Rear Overhead Console
276 Watt Amplifier
I had a Kenwood DDX-9902s with the iDatalink Maestro until a month ago when I installed a XTrons 10.1" Android unit. Love it so far although it does take a little more tinkering to get setup the way you want. Initially I bypassed the factory AMP, and accepted no steering wheel controls, and dimming with the headlights because I couldn't find a canbus adapter for the unit like my Kenwood had with the Maestro unit. However, since then I reached out to XTrons and over the course of a couple weeks I was able to get a canbus adapter ordered from XTrons that would have made the whole installation practically plug-n-play. I am not sure about the backup camera since mine didn't have it to start but I can add an after market one for really cheap if I want to. I am going to take pictures of the setup when my adapter arrives and I install it.

XTrons 10.1" unit on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799HX8CT

Power cable and canbus adapter PB68WRJ $65 (have to order via XTrons)
Any updates on functionality of the canbus adapter? I see you’re in Charlotte. I happen to be here this week. Would love to check out functionality of the system if you’re available.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:52 PM
Points: 1,006, Level: 17 Points: 1,006, Level: 17 Points: 1,006, Level: 17
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
I've just bought a Pioneer Avicf980dab - does anyone know which wiring adapter i might need?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP07 View Post
I've just bought a Pioneer Avicf980dab - does anyone know which wiring adapter i might need?
@CP07;

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct one, but it looks like a good bet - and it's cheap enough;

https://www.amazon.com/Maestro-HRN-R...00731547&psc=1

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-28-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
Points: 1,355, Level: 20 Points: 1,355, Level: 20 Points: 1,355, Level: 20
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

4WD
Current Mileage: 119,321
Okay this just might be a superstupid question but here we go.

If I were to get out my tester and make a one to one connection, verified between the plug at the head unit and the backup camera, for instance... is there any good reason that the backup camera would not work? And yes, I know the backup camera is powered by the rear light cable that comes on when you put the gear in reverse.

And the main reason I am even asking this question is because I have an allergic reaction to the word "canbus," I know firsthand how it causes all kinds of headaches with LED lights for instance. People talk about it as if it is the scourge of any modification whatsoever to a Jeep. (Steering wheel controls seems to be a common issue that people mention problems with.) What I'm having trouble understanding is how, if I actually manage to make a one to one connection with a wiring diagram and a tester, why something like this won't work? I'm curious because I thought of changing out my head unit with an Xtron or similar, I can't think of any good reason that the factory backup camera would not work if that same connection is made with it. Ditto for the overhead TV monitor, or for the AV jack in the back of the center console. I have a hard time understanding how canbus even enters into this as ultimately it has to make a connection, but everyone tells me if I change out: the head unit, the overhead TV monitor, the backup camera, I'll have problems or stuff won't work... all because of canbus. Really? I mean I suppose I could always run entirely new wires to this stuff if I really needed to, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why I would actually need to do this when these working connections are there in a loaded Limited Edition Jeep Commander already. Canbus can't be processing this stuff in any way to prevent replacements like this? Can it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionAlpha View Post
Okay this just might be a superstupid question but here we go.

If I were to get out my tester and make a one to one connection, verified between the plug at the head unit and the backup camera, for instance... is there any good reason that the backup camera would not work? And yes, I know the backup camera is powered by the rear light cable that comes on when you put the gear in reverse.

And the main reason I am even asking this question is because I have an allergic reaction to the word "canbus," I know firsthand how it causes all kinds of headaches with LED lights for instance. People talk about it as if it is the scourge of any modification whatsoever to a Jeep. (Steering wheel controls seems to be a common issue that people mention problems with.) What I'm having trouble understanding is how, if I actually manage to make a one to one connection with a wiring diagram and a tester, why something like this won't work? I'm curious because I thought of changing out my head unit

Canbus can't be processing this stuff in any way to prevent replacements like this? Can it?
Well, there's one way to find out for sure, man up and try it.

Sometimes it's better to try something out and report your findings - rather than just asking random questions.

I don't see how you could do any harm, if you're confident it should work, try it and let us know how you make out.
HyperionAlpha likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; Yesterday at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in