Electrical/Radio Noise - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,437, Level: 21 Points: 1,437, Level: 21 Points: 1,437, Level: 21
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 45100
Garage
Electrical/Radio Noise

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a puzzle with s strange and intermittent noise coming through the radio and wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar......

OK, basics are I have a 2007 CRD. I wanted Apple car play so fitted an after market Pioneer head unit. I used the PAC wiring kit to make the connection. The radio plays and functions fine.

From the outset though I have been getting a strange intermittent noise from it. It comes as a high pitched scratchy whine that only seems to sound through the front nearside dash speaker... Some specifics -
- It is not there all the time, and can sometimes be silent for a couple of days.
- Sometimes it comes on as soon as I start the car
- Sometimes it comes in gradually, like someone turning up a volume from silent, and sometimes it goes away the same way
- Sometimes it comes and goes quickly like someone flicking a switch.
- Sometimes it seems to come in at 'half volume' and stays there.
- It stays constant regardless of engine or road speed and does not turn down with the radio volume.
- I sometimes think it is influenced by bumps in the road, and sometimes I think it going off coincides with braking.
- The only other modification I have made that I thought may be a factor is replacing all of the interior lights with LED's I mention this because when the noise is there, switching on an interior light introduces another additional lower level buzz to the sound.

So far I have two theories, based on no knowledge whatsoever -
1. It is something to do with the control box in the PAC wiring room which is moving and causing the noise when it is in a specific position, or
2. It is to do with the LED lights in some way, although the lights being on or off doesn't seem to cause it to start or finish.

I have tried searching on this site and else where on the net and there seems to be a link to LED lights and interference but that seems more like headlights etc. Sound clips of that does sound very similar to what I am experiencing though.

So - any experience or suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
My first instinct says that your new radio may not be properly grounded.

I'd suggest checking the ground wire and making sure it has good, clean contact with bare metal on the chassis.
Up4XK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-06-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Thanks Big Blue - that makes sense. I've been waiting for some decent weather to pull out the dash etc again to have a look at that control box, so I will check this at the same time. I used the original ground connection from the factory head unit, but it could be the connection between the old and new isn't as good as it should be.... I will report back!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ofsereb View Post
Thanks Big Blue - that makes sense. I've been waiting for some decent weather to pull out the dash etc again to have a look at that control box, so I will check this at the same time. I used the original ground connection from the factory head unit, but it could be the connection between the old and new isn't as good as it should be.... I will report back!
Looking forward to it.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Sorted!

Decent weather today so I pulled out the dash panel and the new radio. There's a lot of wiring in there due to three components -
  • Wiring on the new head unit
    • The PAC connecting loom
    • The original vehicle loom that connected to the factory head unit

I started moving and testing all of the connections and despite my original issue being a noise through the passenger side speaker, I moved a connection and it came through the driver's side... Exactly the same noise though, so the first indication that my electrical work was not all it should have been. I fixed the connection and moved on to the passenger side and moving the wires was able to generate the noise. Fixed that one too and tested all of the other connections while I was in there. Total time spent from unlocking to relocating the doors probably only about 60 minutes.

Lesson? Well, I thought that the noise was being generated by either an electrical component moving and causing interference or alternatively a bad earth (ground). I would have thought that a loose connection to a speaker would have caused it to cut the sound intermittently, not generate a high pitched buzz.....
Every day is a school day it seems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in