Possible issues with Head Unit Replacement for 2006 Limited 5.7L - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Blue
  • 1 Post By Sevenjays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 149950
Garage
Possible issues with Head Unit Replacement for 2006 Limited 5.7L

Can anyone say if there are any issues with replacing the REC headunit in a 2006 Commander Limited (5.7L) and how it might affect the stock DVD system that exists in the back? My Limited has REC with NAV with the rear entertainment system and I am looking to upgrade / replace the existing REC and wonder how that it will affect theat rear DVD system. Does a replacement make it non funtional?

I am not so much worried about the hand controls or NAV, but I would like to keep that DVD system in the back if I can. I am looking at just upgrading the headunit to something with BT to integrate phone and be able to switch the unit myself; so something Plug n Play would be great.

I have seen people speaking of Android systems and Pioneer, and that there are ways to keep hand controls and dimming capability. I am just hoping there is a cost effective method.

I might just go with the option that member here did and just added an AUX input to the REC, but dang its such an archaic system...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnichols View Post
Can anyone say if there are any issues with replacing the REC headunit in a 2006 Commander Limited (5.7L) and how it might affect the stock DVD system that exists in the back? My Limited has REC with NAV with the rear entertainment system and I am looking to upgrade / replace the existing REC and wonder how that it will affect theat rear DVD system. Does a replacement make it non funtional?

I am not so much worried about the hand controls or NAV, but I would like to keep that DVD system in the back if I can. I am looking at just upgrading the headunit to something with BT to integrate phone and be able to switch the unit myself; so something Plug n Play would be great.

I have seen people speaking of Android systems and Pioneer, and that there are ways to keep hand controls and dimming capability. I am just hoping there is a cost effective method.

I might just go with the option that member here did and just added an AUX input to the REC, but dang its such an archaic system...
That a really good question; I've read about a lot of people upgrading the REC head units - myself included, but I didn't have the rear DVD system to worry about; My 2008 is a Sport and didn't come with that option.

I'm sure someone here has done it, let's see who chimes in.
jpnichols likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-11-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

4WD
Current Mileage: 125,000
Garage
Pioneer MVH-1400NEX with iDatalink
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I have a 2006 Limited with rear DVD and replaced my factory Nav head unit. My rear DVD works great with IR had phones. It doesn't play video on the front head unit nor do I get the DVD sound through the head unit. Other than that, I have steering wheel controls, rear camera, tire pressure display, blue tooth, Apple Car Play on the new head unit. The link above has links to everything I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Blue likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Current Mileage: 149950
Garage
That is awesome. I was sorta thinking that the DVD should work with the head phones when changing the head-unit, but always unsure until someone an confirm /deny.
Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions for setup!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in