Jeep Commander Forum banner

Possible issues with Head Unit Replacement for 2006 Limited 5.7L

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Overlander 
#1 ·
Can anyone say if there are any issues with replacing the REC headunit in a 2006 Commander Limited (5.7L) and how it might affect the stock DVD system that exists in the back? My Limited has REC with NAV with the rear entertainment system and I am looking to upgrade / replace the existing REC and wonder how that it will affect theat rear DVD system. Does a replacement make it non funtional?

I am not so much worried about the hand controls or NAV, but I would like to keep that DVD system in the back if I can. I am looking at just upgrading the headunit to something with BT to integrate phone and be able to switch the unit myself; so something Plug n Play would be great.

I have seen people speaking of Android systems and Pioneer, and that there are ways to keep hand controls and dimming capability. I am just hoping there is a cost effective method.

I might just go with the option that member here did and just added an AUX input to the REC, but dang its such an archaic system...

#2 · (Edited)
Can anyone say if there are any issues with replacing the REC headunit in a 2006 Commander Limited (5.7L) and how it might affect the stock DVD system that exists in the back? My Limited has REC with NAV with the rear entertainment system and I am looking to upgrade / replace the existing REC and wonder how that it will affect theat rear DVD system. Does a replacement make it non funtional?

I am not so much worried about the hand controls or NAV, but I would like to keep that DVD system in the back if I can. I am looking at just upgrading the headunit to something with BT to integrate phone and be able to switch the unit myself; so something Plug n Play would be great.

I have seen people speaking of Android systems and Pioneer, and that there are ways to keep hand controls and dimming capability. I am just hoping there is a cost effective method.

I might just go with the option that member here did and just added an AUX input to the REC, but dang its such an archaic system...
That a really good question; I've read about a lot of people upgrading the REC head units - myself included, but I didn't have the rear DVD system to worry about; My 2008 is a Sport and didn't come with that option.

I'm sure someone here has done it, let's see who chimes in.

#3 ·
Pioneer MVH-1400NEX with iDatalink
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...read.php?t=74855&share_type=t&link_source=app

I have a 2006 Limited with rear DVD and replaced my factory Nav head unit. My rear DVD works great with IR had phones. It doesn't play video on the front head unit nor do I get the DVD sound through the head unit. Other than that, I have steering wheel controls, rear camera, tire pressure display, blue tooth, Apple Car Play on the new head unit. The link above has links to everything I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
That is awesome. I was sorta thinking that the DVD should work with the head phones when changing the head-unit, but always unsure until someone an confirm /deny.
Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions for setup!!!

#5 ·
I’ve done the exchange in the last weeks. Just remove the REC and mount the new device instead. The DVD audio connector just let behind - not connected.

But in order to have the DVD Video also on the front screen, I’ve put a video cable from the DVD to the new headunit. Installed additionally a small 4-channel-video-amp to get the video signal on both screens. Works great. Just switch to AUX and watch DVD.

Getting the audio signals into the new device seems to be a major issue. The R and L signals coming out from the DVD player are that low that you can’t use them with AUX in. Still looking for a solution.

Does anybody have an idea? May it work installing a small pre-amp?

—Andre

Reactions: njbowen
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.