Intermittent Speedo / Tach / Stereo shutoff - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jpnichols
  • 1 Post By Big Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 149950
Garage
Intermittent Speedo / Tach / Stereo shutoff

https://www.facebook.com/islandjim/v...oup_highlights
So this issue started coming up after I took the Jeep into the mechanic for the check engine light. Stereo, Speedo and tach shut off for a second (none of the others) and then pop back on. Doesn't affect engine, cruise or other functions.

I thought that it might be a short from the connections being improperly put back on from its resent time in the shop, so I took off the dash, checked the connections and made sure they were properly seated, but no-go.

It happens in vaious degrees every 3-10 minutes during operation. Like the video most of the time, but sometime the speedo and tach flutter with no stereo issue and then sometime full on stereo, speedo/tach shutoff, and then the ABS and service suspension warning coming on for a second and then resuming normal function.

I will take it back into the shop to see what they say, but I have a feeling that I need to start figuiriung this stuff out myself.

I have downloaded my service manual and will start deciphiring the wiring diagram, but I am wondering if anyone out there has seen this before??

Oh and I know it's not just because the ColdPlay CD was playing...it was doing it with Guns N Roses along with DMB and Incubus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Sounds to me like you could have a short somewhere - or a ground that is not properly grounded; I'd check fuses and the junction block as well;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...explained.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 149950
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Sounds to me like you could have a short somewhere - or a ground that is not properly grounded; I'd check fuses and the junction block as well;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...explained.html
I am pretty sure you are correct. I need to get a little more familiar with the junction box issue and learn how to properly test for shorts, but there seems kto be a lot of material in here concerning that.

Funny thing is that after a week of this issue happening (just once every 5-10 minutes), it rained most of the night last night and as I drove it today, it didn't do it all day. That doesn't really make me feel any better, but it is one more data point.

I did order a BT reader and software that was suggested by you in previous posts to read some of the codes and finally get rid of the TPMS service warning I have been having. Come to find out that whoever had the tires done previously didn't put the TPMS sensor in the spare and I found it near the jack.

I will get this thing sorted out sooner or later.
Big Blue likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnichols View Post
I am pretty sure you are correct. I need to get a little more familiar with the junction box issue and learn how to properly test for shorts, but there seems kto be a lot of material in here concerning that.

Funny thing is that after a week of this issue happening (just once every 5-10 minutes), it rained most of the night last night and as I drove it today, it didn't do it all day. That doesn't really make me feel any better, but it is one more data point.

I did order a BT reader and software that was suggested by you in previous posts to read some of the codes and finally get rid of the TPMS service warning I have been having. Come to find out that whoever had the tires done previously didn't put the TPMS sensor in the spare and I found it near the jack.

I will get this thing sorted out sooner or later.
You might also consider having your battery checked to make sure it's putting out the proper voltage.
jpnichols likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in