REAL UConnect - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
TJM
Points: 1,573, Level: 22 Points: 1,573, Level: 22 Points: 1,573, Level: 22
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question REAL UConnect

So the one feature I really wanted was UConnect, but the deal I worked out didn't have it. I do have the NAV 6CD in a Limited, and can see the greyed out menu options in the software for UConnect integration.

I'm hoping I can buy the correct parts (Mirror, wiring, software update, etc) and slap the "REAL" UConnect on my truck rather than the crappy aftermarket.

Anyone able to confirm / deny this possibility?

Gotta have my bluetooth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Points: 3,029, Level: 33 Points: 3,029, Level: 33 Points: 3,029, Level: 33
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Re: REAL UConnect

Yea, It would be nice. We are in the same situation.

Mango~Ridge
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

If you look in the LX Forums you will find where they worked it out for the LX, but it was quite a bit of work to do it. Ordering all the parts this way is quite expensive, and they had to make their own harness for it.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

I am not certain about all this but what I have learned so far is this (from a dealer I spoke with) He says it worked fine in a chrysler 300 (I think it was a 300). You need three parts: A mirror (part #55157066 AD - $250.00) A telematics module (part # 56038710 AH - 289.00) and a short wire harness (part #56050611AB - 32.70) He says they all plug into exisiting harness, radio, etc. and it works just like the factory. I am working on trying to find where it plugs into the exisiting wires and will let you know. I could smack the salesman when he told me they could add it for $300.00 only to find it works nothing close to the factory installed one. I would have taken a Commander on the lot that already had it. I am going to keep looking into but any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM

Follow-up - I found a dealer in PA with the parts at about $150.00 less but am still researching the connections. It pays to shop around on the prices...the dealers really vary on some items as far as price goes. Thanks
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
TJM
Points: 1,573, Level: 22 Points: 1,573, Level: 22 Points: 1,573, Level: 22
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Ron
I could smack the salesman when he told me they could add it for $300.00 only to find it works nothing close to the factory installed one.
Exactly. In any case, what has been posted so far in this thread makes sense to me. I can't see them having another physical design for the NAV/CD just for the UConnect Mirror to plug into, so I'm fully expecting this to work if I can acquire the correct parts. On the up side, the dealer I've been buying "normal" parts from said I could order the after market version, open it up and return it if I didn't like how if functioned. Naturally I don't care about that one, but I suspect he would offer the same flexibility on the other parts if I ordered them. I bet you could "try" all the parts live on the vehicle (with the dash torn apart, etc) and see if it all worked before damaging any of the parts by installing them.

One more fine point on this... I'm assuming the UConnect Mirror comes with the auto-dimming feature? I would hate to lose that excellent benefit to get the UConnect to work.

Bring on the Intel...
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 PM

The dealers I obtained the pricing from both said it does include the auto-dimming headlight feature if I were to order the new mirror so that should not be a problem. I hope to learn more this week. My dealership's Management is going to contact me to see if we can work out an arrangement on the pricing since the sale was not as smooth as it should have been and the fact that I should have been advised better as far as the functions with the add-on vs the real factory set up. I am hoping they will sell me the parts for factory set-up for the same price they were asking for the add-on...we shall see.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 06:16 PM

Well spoke with my dealer today and for what its worth he says the service tech states that even with these parts you would have to replace the main computer (not just add the telematics mod.) to make it work. I think they are mistaken but now I am at a point that I may just live without the darn thing. I could really choke that salesman at this point for giving me bad info. Does anyone know anything about this u-connect and if all this could or would possible work? I get a different answer from each dealership I call.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 PM

OK....If anyone out there can please tell me where the telematics mod. is in the Commander (this controls the UConnect), where it plugs into the wiring harness, and then where the other wires go it would be a big help. I know some wires go to the rearveiw mirror, some to the radio, and I would assume some to the main harness. I have asked three dealers and depending on who you speak to you will get at least three answers. I cannot believe I cannot get an answer to these question from the people who are supposed to service this thing. Any help would be appreciated.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 PM

Can anyone take a few min. to look at their UConnect factory installed rearview mirror and tell me how many pins/wires are on the lower plug going into the back of the rearview mirror. It would also be a big help if you could tell me the number of wires their and the colors.

There is also a part number on the upper right side that I could use.

I am still convinced you can purchase the mirror, control module, and small wire harness to install it just like the factory. I do not believe it would plug into the main harness on the Commander only the mirror, radio, and module. Even the after marked UConnect from Mopar only connects to the radio, speaker, mic., and small control pad.

It seems the dealership cannot figure this one out or would rather not bother with me to tell you the truth. They would have if I refused to buy the Commander first!

I am trying to install it the same as the factory would have. The salesman said they could install after purchase but turns out its not the same and I would rather have the cleaner factory installed UConnect since I have all the other factory features but this one.

Thanks to anyone for their help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in