Jeep Commander Forum banner

Power Rear Hatch Activation

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lekmedm 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there's a way to activate the power hatch when you are sitting in the driver's seat with the key in the ignition and the engine running? As I see it right now, the only options are to turn off the engine and remove the key from the ignition, or to leave the engine running, get out, go around to the hatch, and manually lift the hatch.

I tried to operate it with the second FOB while the engine was running, but no luck.

#2 ·
Did you try the button on the overhead console ?

#4 ·

#5 ·
Not all XK's have that button. If you do not have the button then your options are to get out or to shut off the engine and hit the key fob button.

#8 ·
You are right . Only the ones with the power liftgate have that button.

#6 ·
I think there is a thread on this subject, if I remember correctly the duscussion was that the rear hatch would not open while in motion or engine running as Chrysler did not want the emmissions to enter the rear window while the wehicle was in motion.

#7 ·
Mine does not have the overhead consol button ... this spring I am planning to do a mod to install a hatch release button and pull lever in the back somwhere, as I have been locked in a couple times.

I hop in the back and close the door to keep warm while I'm working in there and had to climb over the seats, shut off the Commander and take the key out to open the hatch.

I figure I can wire a hot line directly to the unlock solinoid, and either a lever or a simple 'T' pull to open the hatch from inside ... if that looks too complicated I'll rig up a button to at least open the glass.

#9 ·
according to jeep 5253's signature, he has an 06. unless thats not his.

#10 ·
according to jeep 5253's signature, he has an 06. unless thats not his.
That's right I have an '06. Never said I didn't.

#12 ·
I am quite embarrased to admit that I never really took note of that button.

Never had a vehicle where the trunk release wasn't under the dash right next to the hood release, or in the driver's door. I do remember a GM car which had a yellow trunk release button in the glovebox.

#13 ·
I would like to know why there is not a button on the rear hatch to raise it from outside. It would seem that a button or having the automatic raise kick in after the hatch has been released would be only reasonable. BTW,, there is a button just inside on the left to put it down. I just can't figure why they did not put this on the hatch as Tahoe does. There is a button for the glass, but if there is one for the hatch I have not found it.

#14 ·
For those who have the power liftgate, the keyfob has a button to open the hatch remotely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.