Jeep Commander Forum banner

NV245 Transfer Case for 3.7 Liter V6 owners....

13K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  07JeepXK 
#1 · (Edited)
I might have some good for those of you with a 3.7 Liter V6 and the not so good NV140 Transfer case. I stumbled across a website that lists there being a NV245 for the Jeep Commander with the 3.7 Liter. It is a different part number then the NV245 for the 4.7 Liter and 5.7 Liter V8's. There might be hope for you guys!!! The list price is $1324.00. Before I get anyone's hopes up Im going to give them a call in the morning and get some more info.

#2 · (Edited)
Ok im sort of confused now. I called and asked if that NV245 Transfer Case would definately work for the 3.7 liter Commander and they said all that they can do it look up the vin number and recommend the stock replacement. I then asked why they would list a transfer case on their website stating that it would fit in a 3.7 liter but not have a clue if it would work and he didnt have an answer for me. So who wants to be the guinea pig? Ill even install it free of charge!! Im sure it would bot right up so I dont see why it wouldnt work. The website even lists two diffferent prives for the NV245 for the 3.7 liter and the NV245 for the 4.7 & 5.7 Liter.

Here is the website. Just put in your year, make and model and then on the left hand side click on Transfer Case and under that you have to click on transfer case again and it will list all the options and you will see it list both the NV140 and the NV245 for the 3.7 Liter Commander.

http://www.makeitjeepparts.com/jeep-parts.htm

#8 ·
See the chrome T next to the shifter? Thats the 4Lo switch.

#9 ·
You activate 4 Low with that chrome T-shaped lever just right of the gear shifter.

If thats a 4.7 Liter that one of the few that were lucky enough to get QD II.

#10 ·
Ok, but fossil called it a "switch" and 07jeep called it a lever. To me, a switch implies electrical current used to do "something", while a lever implies that the operator is providing the force via cables, rods, etc. to do "something". Which one is it?

#12 ·
Sorry about that. The transfer case is automatic so you dont use an actual shifter like you would with a manual transfer case. Like stated about there is a little T-shaped chrome handle that you pull up with your two fingers to activate the 4 Low. It activates electronically once you pull up on the T-shaped handle.

Hope I didnt confuse you more.

#14 · (Edited)
OP: That price is for just a NVG245 transfer case, probably a reman unit, buy itself. Not a bolt in operation. Absolutely would require new shafts/etc. companies always posting wrong applications...then don't even know what they are talking about.

There is a a replacement for the nvg140 that has neutral and low range. It is not electronically actuated with a stepper motor like the 245. The setup has been running for about 7 months no issues. It requires new/modified drive shafts.
This info would require me to be a vendor, and I am not going to shell 600 to sell a couple of transfer cases...lol

#15 ·
Can you please PM me with the info for the replacement NVG140. Im sure you dont need to be a vendor to do that. Also how is our rubi t-case coming along? You just dont know how bad I want a part time transfer case. Maybe then we can get a little better gas mileage with the 2WD option!

#17 ·
He sent me a PM earlier. If you are really interested id get in contact with him as soon as possible. It sounds like he's leaving for Iraq in July.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.