Jeep Commander Forum banner

UConnect

27K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  cmwb 
#1 ·
My '08 Commander has the UConnect buttons, but, apparently, is not equipped with UConnect. I found it odd for the buttons to be there when they do nothing . . . anywho, I wondered if anyone has added this feature, and if so what all is involved.

From the owner's manual, and one other post in the forums, I can tell that a microphone needs to be added (stock in mirror unit?). Does anyone know what else it would take to add this feature? Some kind of controller that links to the sound system, I would assume?

Suggestions on where to look for more info? Thanks.

#3 ·
We also have an 08 with the button on the CD player - radio unit - when we press the button you mentioned it tells us uconnect not ready or something like that. The dealer quoted us $450.00 or so to install it and not sure what all is involved - I will look and see if we received an itemized quote - I am sure it takes some sort of programming - seems as though any optional upgrade required you take it to the dealer to download or upload a program. Let me know what you find out on your end - all I want to be able to do is link the uconn to my cell phone via bluetooth - we do not have Nav - just a single CD player.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I found the wiring to connect the radio to your rear view mirror - Unless there is another wiring that includes a separate microphone - Our rear view mirror does not have a built in microphone so this kit when you read the installation file tells you to purchase the new rear vew mirror with built in microphone. I would also check output connector on your radio.

Let me know if you find a separate kit that includes a microphone with it. See link below on what I have found so far.

http://www.leeparts.com/jeep_comman...onnect_mirror_to_uconnect_gps_wiring_kit.html

#8 ·
Hey Jeep Mom - yes there is another kit "IF" you are a CMDR owner without that specific rear view mirror. The wiring harness plugs into the back of the U-Connect on the radio hardware and lets you install an external mic, usually installed above the driver's side pillar. The link I provided used to have it, I still haven't called them to verify if they discontinued or not. I"ll update when I get that one done...

#9 ·
lol 5 minutes later ...................... UPDATE !!!!

Here is the item I was speaking of - dependant on the owner whether or not they want to pay the additional $60 on the rear view mirror. Check it out lemme know what you think - same price as I saw before :D

U-Connect Microphone Kit

#11 ·
Dealer quoted me @ 250 for a new mirror with the wiring installed etc. I also have a few scratches on my front bumper that they wanted money for to replace the bumper with paint (150). I did some research on the forums and from the help I got, can get everything purchased (Uconnect external Mic, and ps2 silver coating code touch up paint)

Dealer wants: $400

Jeep Commander.com says: $47
Uconnect = $41
Touch up paint: $6

Moral: Always ask here first before impulse buying to the man in the grey suit :D
Happy Jeeping!!

#12 ·
Here's my problem:

"This microphone kit will only work with a MyGig/Uconnect GPS radio. This will not add Uconnect to any other radio with a Uconnect button."

I don't have the GPS radio - just the single disc player. Is it still an option to just add a mic and have UConnect work? If not, why the h -e -double-hockey-sticks did they bother putting the button there?

#13 ·
Hey Cleveland - I didn't notice that one... I've got the one without the mygig nav as well - I'll have to do some deeper researching on this one.. I'll also speak with my audio electronics guy and see if there is a bypass for this if we have no other alternative.. Gimme a lil time if no answer tomorrow keep your eyes peeled for early next week buddy.

Cheers!

#15 ·
Official Update on U-Connect products -

Cleveland, Jeepmom, and other possible buyers:
I got in touch with Lee Auto parts, Mopar, and Just for Jeeps.com this afternoon and interrogated them on the specs for the Uconnect external independant mics. The link I posted earlier to Jeepmom will ONLY work for Commanders that have the Mygig NAV unit. According to the vendors, but not my audio installer (I have a 10+ years veteran installer of car audio/electronics who is rated top ten in New England) there is no bypass to make this external unit operational.
In relation to myself and Cleveland, who do not have the myGig Nav unit, but do have the stock single cd and multi cd double din units, there is a U-Connect product that will work:
Referencing the customer support agent from JustforJeeps.com - Covered under a 12/12 Mopar Warantee -

XK Commander U-Connect Installation Kit

The item you are looking for is product ID number :

82211877 - listed under Item # 82211877 (Replaces Item # 82211005) - 2008-2009 Grand Cherokee (WK) & Commander (XK) and 2009 Compass (MK) & Patriot (MK)
Retail Price: $263 | Sale Price $236.70

Installation guide -
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/uconnect07.pdf

If anybody buys this item and does NOT have it installed at a Jeep dealership or Chrysler maintenance shop, you still will have to make a trip to get the Uconnect unit Activated. The dealer must use Jeep's computers to update your vehicle identification number in their system, and activate this feature even though the buttons are included in your XK however do not work. They do not work b/c this option was not included in base price @ purchase.

This is all the information I gathered; I hope it will be useful for those trying to acquire Uconnect activity - however I would strongly suggest you get confirmation on your year, make, and model, because I am stating info only pertaining to '08-'09 XK Commanders.
Hopefully I'll have one of these things soon :D

Be smart in your purchases, and good luck!

#16 ·
Hi,
My UK Commander Ltd has none NAV MyGig, dealer said oh yes just buy the mic kit, imagine the surprise when lifting out the radio to find a mic harness already plugged in !
There is a factory harness and mic already fitted, the mic is in the overhead console, where the buttons for the electric sunroof would be (if it had one !)
Noticed that the JEEP back ground image on the radio changed to Chrysler image when the factory mic lead was removed, and the mic kit was plugged in (how did it know !!)

My question, Why do Jeep fit a factory mic and plug it into a Mygig which cannot have Uconnect (and why have Uconnect buttons if it can't be upgraded)
Regards
cmwb

#17 ·
Hi,
My UK Commander Ltd has none NAV MyGig, dealer said oh yes just buy the mic kit, imagine the surprise when lifting out the radio to find a mic harness already plugged in !
There is a factory harness and mic already fitted, the mic is in the overhead console, where the buttons for the electric sunroof would be (if it had one !)
Noticed that the JEEP back ground image on the radio changed to Chrysler image when the factory mic lead was removed, and the mic kit was plugged in (how did it know !!)

My question, Why do Jeep fit a factory mic and plug it into a Mygig which cannot have Uconnect (and why have Uconnect buttons if it can't be upgraded)
Regards
cmwb
Which MyGIG model do you have ?

#18 ·
Hi,
It's an REZ non Nav unit. (This is standard factory fit in UK)
The NAV version MyGig is only available in UK with the Sunroof and rear roof DVD player, so the Mic fitted to mine could not be used with the factory NAV radio as the sunroof buttons would be in place of the Mic.
Regards
cmwb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.